Need a Knife RECOMMENDATION

7 hours ago, peejman said:

This thread inspired me so this is now on my short list... 

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Al-Mar-AM-3-Assisted--71075

I try to not be a fan boy, but I do really like my Kershaw Chive. I've needed small small parts for it a couple of times over the years, and they've always been happy to send them. I actually asked for spares at one point, so I wouldn't have to wait on shipping the next time I needed to fix my knife, they sent more than I asked for.

ETA: Plus, you can sharpen that steel at home, but it's tough enough to still have a decent edge after a day cutting open concrete sacks.

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thought.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

I try to not be a fan boy, but I do really like my Kershaw Chive. I've needed small small parts for it a couple of times over the years, and they've always been happy to send them. I actually asked for spares at one point, so I wouldn't have to wait on shipping the next time I needed to fix my knife, they sent more than I asked for.

ETA: Plus, you can sharpen that steel at home, but it's tough enough to still have a decent edge after a day cutting open concrete sacks.

I've got a cryo that I'm not super nice to. It gets shaving sharp and holds an edge well enough for me. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I just ordered one of the satin 3" blades with green G10. Thanks guys!

Let us know what you think. 

Seems a little odd that the part number of the 3" blade is 2335 while the part number for the 3.5" blade is 2330.  Several sites all show the same thing, so i guess thats correct. 

2 hours ago, peejman said:

Let us know what you think. 

Seems a little odd that the part number of the 3" blade is 2335 while the part number for the 3.5" blade is 2330.  Several sites all show the same thing, so i guess thats correct. 

Will do.

That is a bit odd. I guess we'll have to wait and see what shows up!

On 8/1/2020 at 6:18 AM, DaveTN said:

I never carried a knife as a young man. But as I got older, either I got weaker or packaging became much tougher. Some of these packages is like trying to rip a phone book in half.

For years I carried the GERBER F.A.S.T. assisted opening below. I’ve never been disappointed by a Gerber product and the assisted openers may be something you might want to check out. They aren’t very expensive; but the quality is there.

A couple of years ago I decided to go to an auto knife, because they finally had something that meet my requirements. I didn’t want a safety. Using a safety on an auto knife didn’t make sense to me; an assisted would be faster than messing with a safety. (But that just me). But I wanted to be able to put it in my pocket without worrying about it opening. For that I chose the Pro-Tech Magic BR-1 "Whiskers" shown below. I slide it in my pocket and clip over the edge of the pocket. I don’t think this knife would ever open accidentally (it never has being carried daily). It takes a very deliberate action to open it. Most people that aren’t familiar with it can’t open it when they are trying, until they are shown how it works. I think it’s a very cool idea on a release.

When I ravel I can’t carry an auto-knife. For that I have my little Gerber Paraframe mini. I know you said you have trouble opening manuals, but you might want to check this out, it opens pretty easy. They have an MSRP of $14.00, but I picked mine up at Rural King for $9.99; they sell them most everywhere. I was surprised at how sharp it was and the quality for the price. I figured when it got dull or wore out I would just replace it, but it been a few years and still going strong.

GERBER FAST assisted opening:

2E8DH49.jpg

Pro-Tech Magic "Whiskers" BR-1.7

B9OS88q.jpg

Gerber Mini Paraframe

GdNHtua.jpg

Gerber forever! lol I've had Gerber knives since I was in my 20's. Bought an LST and loved it. If fact, I still have it. No longer carry it. It's got strong sentimental value because of an incident with my Dad over those "cheap" knives.

Anyway, I have several Paraframes. Great little pocket knife. Have one on the desk in front of for cutting and opening things. 

I also have the ProTech Magic. Wonder where we all got these? Like it, but it's in the safe with my so-called collectible knives.

I will be looking into that Gerber FAST model. I do seem to like those assisted opening knives.

Edited by hipower
2 hours ago, willis68 said:

Which Adamas did you get? I have an auto on the way im looking forward to it 

Got the black manual. Like it so far but it is much larger (thicker) than I expected. It makes the Protech TR4 seem small and svelte. Which is no easy thing to do. I don’t think I could break it if I tried.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, nightrunner said:

Got the black manual. Like it so far but it is much larger (thicker) than I expected. It makes the Protech TR4 seem small and svelte. Which is no easy thing to do. I don’t think I could break it if I tried.

Yes I sharpened a couple and fell in love, the autos have dual springs to push the blade very nice action i had no idea how beefy they were 

• Like 2

If you want auto, Protech has a few that are less than an 2 inches.  I have a few Kershaw Chives and the smaller Sog Flash.  I'm not a huge AUS8 fan, but I like every thing else about the Flash and it doesn't feel like the safety is needed in the pocket. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

From the factory, they need a new edge on them, stock isn’t very good IMO

I agree I can certainly fix that for you anytime 😊 

Same with both AFO knives that i have owned after I sharpen them though they are perfect 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, willis68 said:

Which Adamas did you get? I have an auto on the way im looking forward to it 

Let me know how you like the Adamas, please.  Though its not the small pocket im looking for, Im interested in it as well. My new knife addiction is already getting out of hand, lol.

• Like 1