Impulse buy; solid German engineering

While on the road in Alabama, I stopped in at Hoover Tactical...

I had just started my research into the world of semi auto .308 rifles, so was just looking.

Ended up with walking out with an HK91

When I saw it, I assumed it was a PTR91 or Century C308; both of which I've handled at Bud's and wasn't a fan.

Salesman says, "it's a real one."

"A real one what?"

"Not a clone or kit, it's nice, here, check it out."

I agonized over the decision and justified through, "they ain't making them anymore, they are desirable, it should appreciate, and I know a guy who would probably sell one of his damaged kidneys if I had to sell in a pinch."

It's LNIB, except for some marring around the election port. 

Round count has to be low, there is still finish on the tip of the firing pin and breech face shows no wear.

There is  little noticeable wear on the metal on metal bits that slide.

Came with the test fire docs, dated 10 Nov 1980, unused cleaning kit, manual, shell deflector (? - it's the part in the pic below the stock) sling and 6 mags.

Spent way more than I had budgeted, I thought a Springfield M1A variant was iny future.

I think I need a bipod.

IMG_20200731_151909936.jpg

• Like 11
  • Love 4

Sweet!

I have rifles of all types for all applications. But If I could only have one it would be a magazine fed .308 Semi-Auto. They can do anything. (Well, they aren’t great for killing squirrels if you want to eat them, but you know what I mean. :))

• Like 1

Nice buy!!!

We have a clone, works flawless, ever with steel case ammo.

Forgot to add, ours slings a spent case better than 30 feet, set up a tarp to catch the spent cases if you want to keep them.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

But If I could only have one it would be a magazine fed .308 Semi-Auto. They can do anything.

Other than the weight, for my purposes, and only having one, I agree.

I was willing to add weight for something different from an AR pattern.

Can I safely run quality .308?  Please confirm or dispel internet information.

18 minutes ago, RED333 said:

We have a clone, works flawless,

We had a student bring a newly acquired Century C308 to class, I believe an older version, equipped with wood furniture - it looked cool.

He lubed and test fires while I was at lunch, reported zero malfunctions.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Sweet!

I have rifles of all types for all applications. But If I could only have one it would be a magazine fed .308 Semi-Auto. They can do anything. (Well, they aren’t great for killing squirrels if you want to eat them, but you know what I mean. :))

Head shots

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

I’m not sure because I have an AR10 chambered in .308, so I can use either. What’s stamped on your barrel? It’s my understanding some 91’s are stamped 7.52 NATO, and some .308 WIN.

I wouldn’t worry too much about using .308 in a 7.62 rifle made in the 80’s. The difference in pressure is not a big issue. The possible issue could be head spacing. If you have a 7.62 with the max headspace, there is a possibility of rupturing a .308 case. A way to check is to get a 308 Field Gage. If the bolt will close on it; don’t use .308.

As you have probably already found, most folks that have the HK91 shoot .308 without a problem. However, in normal times, NATO ammo isn’t hard to find.

• Thanks 1

Know that the brass being damaged when your shoot it is normal. You won’t be reloading it. It’s because of the fluted chamber and the roller delay system. HK91s just destroy brass. Nothing wrong with the gun it’s just how it is and there’s nothing you can do to fix/change it.

Just a heads up.

• Thanks 1
On 7/31/2020 at 6:38 PM, A.J. Holst said:

Other than the weight, for my purposes, and only having one, I agree.

I was willing to add weight for something different from an AR pattern.

I can confirm that HK 91 will run quality .308.  I've had mine for four decades, and it goes boom with whatever it's fed.  I've also used it on white tail deer, and it performs admirably, though it is on the heavy side.  Look for 5 round magazines for hunting purposes.  20 and 30 round magazines are readily available from sources like RTG Parts.  Oh yeah, there's an ejection buffer available which helps with the brass damage, but the fluting still occurs on the cartridges.  I'm still able to reload the brass, though it can't be reloaded as often as some other firearms due to the fluting.

Edited by Jackalope
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, Jackalope said:

Oh yeah, there's an ejection buffer available

So that's the correct term, I got one with the package.

Took me a bit to figure out what it was, the positioning matches the marring on receiver.

Over 40 years of bang, have you found an off-the-shelf ammo that groups tighter than others?

I figure your experience would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

So that's the correct term, I got one with the package.

Took me a bit to figure out what it was, the positioning matches the marring on receiver.

Over 40 years of bang, have you found an off-the-shelf ammo that groups tighter than others?

I figure your experience would be a good place to start.

Thanks!

Black Hills 175 gr.  .308 match has given me the best results.  I've never tried any steel cased ammo, I've always used brass cased.  I've run a bunch of surplus Portuguese NATO 7.62 with decent results, and the surplus ammo will bring down a deer very nicely..  At least two trees have been cut down due to the H&K.  That's the only down side, it's possible to run through lots of ammo in an afternoon, but the gun always brings a smile to my face.

Back in the early 80's I showed up to deer camp with it, and this was way before AR's were popular.  My fellow hunters couldn't understand why anyone would carry such a gun.   And they definitely didn't like the H&K slap, geez that's part of the fun of owning a H&K rifle.  I ran iron sights too, still do, as the scope mounts are pricey.  Enjoy the gun, it's definitely a classic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Love it!  I actually really like the C308 Sporter due to its having PTR Reciever and Barrel...probably the best bang for the buck 308 on the market but only because I can't afford the real deal...super jealous!  RTG and HKparts have some really awesome side folders you might want to look into that are actually affordable...the OG slide in's are however way up there these days.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice find. I all ways liked the idea of the polygonal rifling they put in those HK's. Its a slick method of improved gas seal on a jacketed bullet. I'm a FAL guy but certainly respect the STG off spring.  Besides, if it had any flaws what so ever in its FCG, I wouldn't have morphed a 91 trigger cage in this G3 housing onto a RPD frame!  Good Luck with it. Quality stuff...... not like the 3 Cetme kits I have that will role your eyes around 😞

dDEb6wOl.jpg

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...