Contaminated onions

The recent Salmonella Newport outbreak that has hit the U.S and infected nearly 400 people may be linked to several onion brands, according to announcements from the Food and Drug Administration and Centers for Disease Control.

The onions that are in question were shipped from May 1 to present and were distributed in cartons weighing between five and 50 pounds and mesh sacks between two and 50 pounds. Red, yellow, white and sweet yellow onions are included in the recall among Thomson's 11 brands, including: Thomson Premium, TLC Thomson International, Tender Loving Care, El Competitor, Hartley's Best, Onions 52, Majestic, Imperial Fresh, Kroger, Utah Onions and Food Lion.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/onions-salmonella-outbreak

• Like 1
3 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Not a problem for me. I can't eat onions!!!

Sad for you. Onions in tuna salad, chicken salad, on burgers. in baked beans, pinto beans, white, beans, and oh so many others.

And I big thick slice on a baloney sandwich with lots of mustard! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, hipower said:

Sad for you. Onions in tuna salad, chicken salad, on burgers. in baked beans, pinto beans, white, beans, and oh so many others.

And I big thick slice on a baloney sandwich with lots of mustard! 

And follow all that great food with a trip to ER. Now funny thing is I can eat Green Onions with zero issues and Doctors cannot tell me why but regular onions contain something that Green Onions don't...…………...:shrug:

• Like 1

Yes, the human body is a marvelous thing, but it's also a maze of parts that react differently to our environment and our foods. From person to person, sometimes it just doesn't like certain things.

Be careful and be safe my friend.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Yes, the human body is a marvelous thing, but it's also a maze of parts that react differently to our environment and our foods. From person to person, sometimes it just doesn't like certain things.

Be careful and be safe my friend.

I didn't always have this issue. It began after that truck hit me back in 78 and destroyed my body and they had to remove a few body parts such as my spline among other things and then the problem showed up.

• 3 weeks later...

First the onions, now the peaches. Wonder what it's going to be next month :waiting:

A salmonella outbreak linked to peaches has been reported across nine states and two provinces in Canada, officials say.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a food safety alert over recalled peaches supplied from Prima Wawona and Wawona Packing Company.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-salmonella-outbreak-peaches

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I just found out yesterday I have a bag of the tainted peaches. 

We got a phone message yesterday from Costco saying we bought some of the peaches that were suspect.    That purchase was a couple of weeks ago so the peaches are long gone and now sitting somewhere in the sewer....

On 8/25/2020 at 11:05 AM, xsubsailor said:

:lol:   I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere.

Thanks for the info., Kroger is where I usually buy mine too. 

20 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

He bought too many packs of cookies once years ago, and now she can't trust him!!

Pretty close. I’m like a kid when I go to the store. If I see something I want; I get it. Because unlike a kid; I have full authority to buy.

My wife is the coupon lady to hate to be behind when you check-out. So our conversations usually go something like this… Me: “I want this (as I put it in the cart)” Her: “Do you know what those cost? I don’t have a coupon.” Me: I don’t care what they cost, and you not having a coupon is poor planning on your part.” :)  So she usually stops at the store on her way home from work.

I must say though, that I’m pretty proud of her couponing. She can buy massive amounts of groceries and spend $50. If I spend $50, its usually one bag that’s very easily carried.

• Like 2