Moon shot

I think the moon was really bright last night. I woke up about 2AM this morning and it was so bright I thought someone had bright lights lit up in my back yard!! I do enjoy the moon light. 

My issues are not with the Moon. My issue is what is the fascination with Mars?? Several countries are now shooting things to Mars to explore it. For what purpose are they spending millions of dollars to explore a planet that has zero possibility of ever being inhabited by humans as they already know the atmosphere won't accept life as we know it!!!

3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I think the moon was really bright last night. I woke up about 2AM this morning and it was so bright I thought someone had bright lights lit up in my back yard!! I do enjoy the moon light. 

My issues are not with the Moon. My issue is what is the fascination with Mars?? Several countries are now shooting things to Mars to explore it. For what purpose are they spending millions of dollars to explore a planet that has zero possibility of ever being inhabited by humans as they already know the atmosphere won't accept life as we know it!!!

I see it as being similar to sailing the ocean to discover new worlds. In this it's a bit of a technology and techniques race. 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, crake said:

I see it as being similar to sailing the ocean to discover new worlds. In this it's a bit of a technology and techniques race. 

If you want, check out the show "the expanse", its a scifi show that depicts how people would live if we had the ability to mine the kuiper belt for resources and a number of states sprung up around the solar system as a result of human habitation of planets, space stations (like Dyson swarm size space stations), and mining colonies. The real drive for expansion into the solar systems is resources. There are far more resources in the solar system at large than we have on earth and if you could transport metals, minerals..etc back to earth then all of the issues we have had with mining here would be resolved. it would be easier to crack a rock in space to get iron, silicon, gold, platinum, silver...etc than it is to start chewing through the earth's crust if we had the technology to resolve the logistics of getting it from the edge of the solar system and bring it back. Going to mars is just a step along the way to making that a possibility. 

26 minutes ago, Mseals22 said:

If you want, check out the show "the expanse", its a scifi show that depicts how people would live if we had the ability to mine the kuiper belt for resources and a number of states sprung up around the solar system as a result of human habitation of planets, space stations (like Dyson swarm size space stations), and mining colonies. The real drive for expansion into the solar systems is resources. There are far more resources in the solar system at large than we have on earth and if you could transport metals, minerals..etc back to earth then all of the issues we have had with mining here would be resolved. it would be easier to crack a rock in space to get iron, silicon, gold, platinum, silver...etc than it is to start chewing through the earth's crust if we had the technology to resolve the logistics of getting it from the edge of the solar system and bring it back. Going to mars is just a step along the way to making that a possibility. 

My Television channel selection is fairly limited and I have to depend on antennas to watch TV. I do get  a bunch of channels that I have never actually searched all of them to see what I do have so if you can tell me what channel The Expanse is on I might be able to find it if it is on any thing that in not a cable network channel.

3 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

My Television channel selection is fairly limited and I have to depend on antennas to watch TV. I do get  a bunch of channels that I have never actually searched all of them to see what I do have so if you can tell me what channel The Expanse is on I might be able to find it if it is on any thing that in not a cable network channel.

it's streamed from amazon, if you have a high speed internet connection and amazon prime you can log on to your amazon prime account and watch any episode of any season that you want. 

2 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Welp, scientists say that our sun is going to expand as it turns into a red giant, and consume several of the planets including earth. Personally, I don't think man will be around in 5 million years. Too many liberals around to make it that far.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Welp, scientists say that our sun is going to expand as it turns into a red giant, and consume several of the planets including earth. Personally, I don't think man will be around in 5 million years. Too many liberals around to make it that far.

We are way overdue for a bunch of civilization killers, huge asteroid strike, super volcano, large earthquake etc, I'd be surprised if mankind survived into 3k let alone a million or more years.

2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

So scientists are predicting that the Sun is gonna go nova in about 5 million years. Well I'm sure gonna lose sleep over that tonight.....:panic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
13 hours ago, Omega said:

We are way overdue for a bunch of civilization killers, huge asteroid strike, super volcano, large earthquake etc, I'd be surprised if mankind survived into 3k let alone a million or more years.

To hear some news organizations on the boob tube, we may not make it out of 2020.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, bersaguy said:

So scientists are predicting that the Sun is gonna go nova in about 5 million years. Well I'm sure gonna lose sleep over that tonight.....:panic:

No, after it expands into a red giant in 5 million years it'll burn for another 130 million years.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, E4 No More said:

No, after it expands into a red giant in 5 million years it'll burn for another 130 million years.

Well in all honesty I didn't lose a minute sleep over that but I am wondering something? How do they know this is going to really happen about the 5 million years and How do they know it will still Not go Nova but still function another 130 million years and who is planning on being around to prove these people are correct? In all honesty and I hope no offense but I kind of think in all reality I think GOD will be in charge of what the sun is doing in 5 million years....JMHO

18 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well in all honesty I didn't lose a minute sleep over that but I am wondering something? How do they know this is going to really happen about the 5 million years and How do they know it will still Not go Nova but still function another 130 million years and who is planning on being around to prove these people are correct? In all honesty and I hope no offense but I kind of think in all reality I think GOD will be in charge of what the sun is doing in 5 million years....JMHO

It's an approximation given the estimated amount of hydrogen gas the sun has available to fuse into helium. The sun will them begin fusing helium into carbon during it's red-giant phase. They also know the sun will not go super-nova because it simply isn't large enough for that. As the sun reaches the end of its red-giant phase it begins to slowly shed off it's gaseous layers leaving behind a small and bright core surrounded with gas rings. Check out pictures of dead stars called planetary nebula.  

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

Actually, I miss-typed the above. It's 5 Billion years, not millions. Basically, they take what they know from experiments and plug it into a incredibly powerful computer system to calculate what will happen.

As far as God is concerned, He dictates our physical reality whereas science attempts to explain it.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, E4 No More said:

Actually, I miss-typed the above. It's 5 Billion years, not millions. Basically, they take what they know from experience and plug it into a incredibly powerful computer system to calculate what will happen.

As far as God is concerned, He dictates our physical reality whereas science attempts to explain it.

Well I will sleep better tonight knowing we still have 5 Billion years left!!……….😂

• Like 1
On 8/3/2020 at 12:10 AM, Chucktshoes said:

It’s amazing what now lives in our pockets these days, isn’t it?

Cameras, tracking devices, listening devices, e-books, and Candy Crush......

Some days I wonder if we are better off. I used to carry a book around all the time. Now I catch myself on the internet if I am waiting around. I hate reading on my phone.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:10 PM, Chucktshoes said:

It’s amazing what now lives in our pockets these days, isn’t it?

An interesting article on the subject:

Phone memory and processing

To put that into more concrete terms, the latest phones typically have 4GB of RAM. That is 34,359,738,368 bits. This is more than one million (1,048,576 to be exact) times more memory than the Apollo computer had in RAM. The iPhone also has up to 512GB of ROM memory. That is 4,398,046,511,104 bits, which is more seven million times more than that of the guidance computer.

But memory isn’t the only thing that matters. The Apollo 11 computer had a processor – an electronic circuit that performs operations on external data sources – which ran at 0.043 MHz. The latest iPhone’s processor is estimated to run at about 2490 MHz. Apple do not advertise the processing speed, but others have calculated it. This means that the iPhone in your pocket has over 100,000 times the processing power of the computer that landed man on the moon 50 years ago.

https://www.realclearscience.com/articles/2019/07/02/your_mobile_phone_vs_apollo_11s_guidance_computer_111026.html

My dad worked in IT for a life insurance company. When I was young I remember him taking me to work and showing me multiple floors of reel-to-reel tapes. It's kind of surreal to think that my notebook or phone has more storage than those floors of tape machines and tapes.