Jump to content
MacGyver

New York Attorney General files suit to dissolve the NRA

Recommended Posts

Things are not getting easier for the NRA.

Air your dirty laundry in public - turns out somebody might notice.  

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/06/899712823/new-york-attorney-general-moves-to-dissolve-the-nra-after-fraud-investigation

Regardless of what you feel about the suit on its face - the NRA kind of walked into this with their lavish spending.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's no good for anybody except the Democrats.   There's no other 2A organization with anything like the clout of the NRA, as corrupt as they seem to be turning out to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I remember her starting this a couple of years ago. I doubt they will get a court to dissolve the NRA; but they might. I doubt that would withstand scrutiny by the higher courts; but who knows.

If they have spent this much time on the investigation, they need to indict the players in both the NRA and the agencies working for them that have violated the law.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good old Wayne "Lopeared" and his advertising buddies should have been run out and tarred and feathered a long time ago.  I am a Benefactor member but will never give another penny until old Wayne and his cronies are gone.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If been reading through some of the dirt in the official State of NY complaint which can be found here.  Within the 164 pages you'll find detailed evidence of King ThePierre's doings.  Also....one of the State's attorneys has the title of "Chief Deputy General for Social Justice", lol.

The NRA also hit back today with a suit against the NY AG alleging defamation and violating its right to free speech.  https://www.foxnews.com/us/nra-lawsuit-ny-attorney-general-lawsuit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ken_mays said:

It's no good for anybody except the Democrats.   There's no other 2A organization with anything like the clout of the NRA, as corrupt as they seem to be turning out to be.

Their corruption was detrimental to the needs of the membership. Regardless if they were the big dog, it’s not good to be stealing funds that people send to you with the expectation that you will use those funds to lobby on their behalf. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Damn it. 

Didn’t these stories start leaking out a couple of years ago when it became public knowledge that the NRA was struggling financially?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Links2k said:

Didn’t these stories start leaking out a couple of years ago when it became public knowledge that the NRA was struggling financially?

Yes. The stories of corruption and malfeasance have been leaking out for decades. I want them fixed, not dead. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A516 said:

Good old Wayne "Lopeared" and his advertising buddies should have been run out and tarred and feathered a long time ago.  I am a Benefactor member but will never give another penny until old Wayne and his cronies are gone.

They still haven’t sent me my free knife from when I renewed my membership years ago.😂

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Links2k said:

They still haven’t sent me my free knife from when I renewed my membership years ago.😂

You are just as well off. I have a drawer full of them. Cheap Chinese junk.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the leadership won't even admit there is a problem, the only way this ends is with them crashing and burning.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As absolutely terrible as the NRA is, until we have a stronger GOA or other substitute, we need them.

 

 

NRA President Carolyn Meadows released a statement.  She isn't completely wrong. 

 

Quote

This was a baseless, premeditated attack on our organization and the Second Amendment freedoms it fights to defend. 

You could have set your watch by it: the investigation was going to reach its crescendo as we move into the 2020 election cycle. It’s a transparent attempt to score political points and attack the leading voice in opposition to the leftist agenda. This has been a power grab by a political opportunist – a desperate move that is part of a rank political vendetta. Our members won’t be intimidated or bullied in their defense of political and constitutional freedom.

As evidenced by the lawsuit filed by the NRA today against the NYAG, we not only will not shrink from this fight – we will confront it and prevail.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

As absolutely terrible as the NRA is, until we have a stronger GOA or other substitute, we need them.

 

 

NRA President Carolyn Meadows released a statement.  She isn't completely wrong. 

 

 

The only thing that I would say she was wrong about was the “baseless” part. That’s the worst part about it. We’re here because WLP and his friends put us here. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems a bit unusual to me to "dissolve" the NRA when there are allegations of corruption.   The normal course is to prosecute/punish the people involved with/in the corruption first and then the organization is fined to some extent.  Thinking of the Pilot Oil issue a few years back.  Pilot Oil still exists, but some of those involved in the illegal acts are behind bars or trying to avoid jail sentences.  

Trying to dissolve the NRA is purely a political move IMO.  Punish the one's who did wrong and bring in new leaders to correct this issues.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

It seems a bit unusual to me to "dissolve" the NRA when there are allegations of corruption.   The normal course is to prosecute/punish the people involved with/in the corruption first and then the organization is fined to some extent.  Thinking of the Pilot Oil issue a few years back.  Pilot Oil still exists, but some of those involved in the illegal acts are behind bars or trying to avoid jail sentences.  

Trying to dissolve the NRA is purely a political move IMO.  Punish the one's who did wrong and bring in new leaders to correct this issues.

Pilot is a private company based in TN.  The NRA is a non-profit chartered in NY,  a State that has vast powers over “charitable” organizations.  Not really comparable at all.

Not only does NY want to dissolve the NRA, they want all the remaining assets forfeited to be given to other “charitable” organizations.  

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Pilot is a private company based in TN.  The NRA is a non-profit chartered in NY,  a State that has vast powers over “charitable” organizations.  Not really comparable at all.

Not only does NY want to dissolve the NRA, they want all the remaining assets forfeited to be given to other “charitable” organizations.  

Please define "vast" powers that NY has, versus the powers other states have over non-profit organizations.  

Corruption is corruption.  It only looks worse when it's a non-profit.  The public's trust is lost when corruption is thrown out on the table.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm......charges made 3 months before the Presidential election. I wonder if the plan is for the MSM to be broadcasting this non stop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Patrick Henry said:

Hmmm......charges made 3 months before the Presidential election. I wonder if the plan is for the MSM to be broadcasting this non stop. 

If anything, that timing is likely to help the GOP more than it will the DNC.

I think this gives weight to “they’ll take your guns” and some folks might vote Republican who might otherwise be kind of blasé this cycle. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this atty gen wants to actually do some good, she should investigate the clinton foundation.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no question this suit was brought for political motives by an attorney general who ran for office on a platform of attacking the NRA.  She was going to charge them with something even if she had to make it up.  And it's certainly no accident that the charges were brought in the same week that the NRA announced it would be spending "tens of millions" in the coming election.

That said, Wayne LaPierre and his co-conspirators gave her the opening for bringing these charges by committing crimes.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Whisper said:

That said, Wayne LaPierre and his co-conspirators gave her the opening for bringing these charges by committing crimes.  

I'm curious how the law and order crowd will react. I'm seeing mixed responses online. If that AG can prove everything in that lawsuit then every one of them need to be in prison. My guess is that they will get a slap on the wrist. Hopefully the NRA will survive and end up better as a result but I have my doubts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NRA needs to reincorporate in another state where there's an attorney general interested in something other than politically motivated prosecutions.  It also needs different leadership and a board of directors of about 25 members, and strong bylaws against self-dealing.  I'd upgrade my Endowment membership and resume regular donations to the ILA if that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

King Wayne got too caught up in playing politics. Instead of fighting the crooked politicians, he became one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines