New York Attorney General files suit to dissolve the NRA

On 8/6/2020 at 12:57 PM, DaveTN said:

I doubt that would withstand scrutiny by the higher courts; but who knows.

You're probably right, but given the sheer volume of what amounts to embezzlement of funds I suspect that New York will pull their charitable org credentials.  If that happens then their tax-exempt status is gone.  It may take something drastic like that to get them to finally clean up their act a bit.  I'm with the crowd that says many officials of the NRA should go to prison ...

• Like 3

I have been debating about whether I will pay my dues to NRA this year. I did send in my dues to GOA as they seem to be a very good organization and working very hard for 2nd Amendment and the Constitution. They have been fighting the red flag bills as they pop up in different states!!

Edited by bersaguy
6 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have been debating about whether I will pay my dues to NRA this year. I did send in my dues to GOA as they seem to be a very good organization and working very hard for 2nd Amendment and the Constitution. They have been fighting the red flag bills as they pop up in different states!!

I've been a Life member since the 1970s and a regular ILA donor for decades.  I don't favor giving them another dollar until Wayne is gone and the bylaws are amended to prevent the corruption that's going on now.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Whisper said:

I've been a Life member since the 1970s and a regular ILA donor for decades.  I don't favor giving them another dollar until Wayne is gone and the bylaws are amended to prevent the corruption that's going on now.

Join the GOA as this are doing great work for gun owners. Do some research about the GOA and you will probably like what you find!!!

Edited by bersaguy
On 8/7/2020 at 12:24 AM, btq96r said:

The guy writing the tweets in the thread I linked above is not an ally of gun owners, but he's basically parsing the juicy details of the lawsuit.  The avarice of WLP and friends is just amazing.

Just read through that. We got FKedin the drive thru by Ole Wayne. I had heard it was bad, but never thought it would be that bad! Him and his cronies need to be sharing prison cells with a lot of Bubbas for a very long time. No Maxwell AF Base Country Club prison either! This is really bad! And it comes at a time when we don’t need this kind of attention!  This also what happens when by-laws allow no term limits on the corporate officers. After so long, corruption sits in and this is what you get. 🤬🤬🤬

The NRA definitely needs restructuring, a total overhaul.

I keep my NRA membership current. As stated, they are the big boys.  But also because my gun club requires membership. :grouchy:   However, I won't give them one cent extra. I've opposed King Wayne and his cronies for years. Its long past time for him to go. But he and his cronies are so entrenched that every effort to save the NRA has fallen pretty quickly. Hopefully, this time he'll finally get what's coming. And hopefully, the NRA will survive under better leadership. 

I'm also a long time member of GOA. They actually fight and have challenged many bad laws in court on a regular basis. If they had the membership and money of the NRA, our rights would be much better off.  :up: 

2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

because my gun club requires membership.

Show them some material from one of the good orgs out there (GOA, SAF come to mind), and see if they'll amend their rules to allow one of those to suffice.

Guest BHG123

The NRA helped get President Trump elected. They spent a lot of money on that goal, or Hillary would be President now. They continue to back Trump, that is why the State of NY wants to lock up the NRA's money in a lawsuit just before election.  That is also why the media is trash talking the NRA, because they know the easily influenced will listen and send their money elsewhere where it will not matter much.

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

Show them some material from one of the good orgs out there (GOA, SAF come to mind), and see if they'll amend their rules to allow one of those to suffice.

If I remember correctly NRA money was used (grant) to help build that range/club.  They won't take a substitution, including classes from other well known groups for qualifications.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:02 PM, MacGyver said:

It would appear they’re not quite at rock bottom yet:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/18/us/nra-josh-powell-tell-all-book/index.html 

Apparently there’s still a few bucks to be squeezed out of this thing.

It’ll sure make the NY AG’s job easier when they turn on each other. 

The week before sales start teasers from the book are starting to hit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-act-of-heresy-nras-former-no-2-calls-for-gun-control/ar-BB18FoXo?li=BBnbfcL

The National Rifle Association’s former second-in-command is breaking with the group’s orthodoxy and calling for universal background checks and so-called red flag laws in a new book assailing the organization as more focused on money and internal intrigue than the Second Amendment, while thwarting constructive dialogue on gun violence.

Look like he's trying to get on the NY AG's good side, maybe hoping to get out of the line of fire as it were.  While this book promises to be a lot of insider baseball and stuff we probably already suspected in broad strokes, it will fill in some of the details.  This quote from the article stuck out...

Much of the book centers on Mr. LaPierre, who Mr. Powell says “couldn’t run an organization on a fiscally sound basis to save his life,”

Those are exactly the types who do all they can to work for orgs where other people's money is in abundant supply, and their fiscal prudence isn't part of the annual evalulation.