Snake Identification

On 9/20/2020 at 7:08 AM, ReeferMac said:

Interesting thread, had to remove a visitor from the chicken coop earlier this week, and I almost posted b/c I couldn't ID it. Chicken snake was what my neighbor called it. We let it go down the end of the street (1/2 mile away, wooded preserve).

20200917_165355.jpg

Good on you for not harming it; snakes are our friends.

That looks like a rat snake.

• Like 1
On 9/18/2020 at 4:36 PM, gregintenn said:

Who stole his rattles, Erik?

I don't think it's a rattler. Oddly enough I found another one of the exact same snake dead in my yard today but this one had his tail and there were no rattles on the end thank god. I don't know if my dogs killed this one or what. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I don't think it's a rattler. Oddly enough I found another one of the exact same snake dead in my yard today but this one had his tail and there were no rattles on the end thank god. I don't know if my dogs killed this one or what. 

I just thought it funny the end of it’s tail appeared to be gone.

I keep finding baby snakes in our basement. They are black and blue and yellow. I expect they have a mama somewhere. I’ve yet to figure out where they are getting in, or if she came in and laid eggs, or what. It isn’t a big deal to me, but it unnerves my wife a bit.

Edited by gregintenn
13 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I just thought it funny the end of it’s tail appeared to be gone.

I keep finding baby snakes in our basement. They are black and blue and yellow. I expect they have a mama somewhere. I’ve yet to figure out where they are getting in, or if she came in and laid eggs, or what. It isn’t a big deal to me, but it unnerves my wife a bit.

That would unnerve my wife a LOT of bit!

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Mine is a farm girl.

We had a snake on the front porch scoping out the nest of Barn Swallows that they had made up under the overhang. My wife and two daughters lost it. They freaked-out when I picked up the snake up and tossed it to the other side of the creek.

Edited by E4 No More
  • 9 months later...
49 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Yes, a Rat Snake.

BTW @Garufa Rat Snakes come in different colors: black, yellow, and grey with the yellow having a completely different pattern. They emit a musky stench when defending their selves. I just removed a grey one from my back yard last Saturday, and two of my dogs decided that they wanted to roll in the stench left in the grass were I had picked up the snake.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, E4 No More said:

BTW @Garufa Rat Snakes come in different colors: black, yellow, and grey with the yellow having a completely different pattern. They emit a musky stench when defending their selves. I just removed a grey one from my back yard last Saturday, and two of my dogs decided that they wanted to roll in the stench left in the grass were I had picked up the snake.

Thanks for the info.  Didn’t notice any stank and I did agitate the hell of it as you can see in the pics.  Dropped it a few times on my way to the neighbor’s side of the fence using my old lady $2.99 grabber from Harbor Freight.  😀

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 2
57 minutes ago, bucnball said:

I was told years ago that the reason dogs find foul (no pun intended) smells attractive is to help mask their canine scent for hunting purposes.. Perhaps ? 

That's pretty much what I've heard too. Members of the dog family don't smell at all like we do. They can pick out separate individual chemicals in a a scent. It probably don't smell anyhing to them like it does us.