My new Glock 19 Gen 5

I finally broke down and bought me a Glock G19 to add to the 'family". I did some research about the Gen 5 and most reviews were favorable. It all started last weekend while I was at GT Distributors. I was looking at a used G19 Gen4 but really wanted the newest version. I was told that if I signed up with the GSSF, I could get a Gen 5 at a reduced cost. I signed up for a 2-year membership on Monday and got the packet on Wednesday. It contains a coupon good for the purchase of a new Glock pistol. I'll also get another coupon next year. I went back to GT and they had 2 G19s left so I went ahead and picked one up. The cost for the pistol was $425 plus background check with my coupon. I think the one I got may be the first version of the Gen 5 as it has the slide serrations on the front of the slide as well as the rear. It also doesn't have the "scallop" cut-out on the front strap that some people don't like. I took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it with no issues. I like the fact that they incorporated the smaller grip with add-on back straps like the Gen 4 models. I think it fits my hand a little bit better than my G23 Gen 3. I also like the fact that the holsters I have for my G23 will work with this one since they are roughly the same size.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Great gun,new spring system soaks up more recoil than previous generations and good for many more rounds before replacing.

Only Negative is they are a hair wider and longer and do not fit in some fitted leather holsters with thumbstraps. Indy PD had them on trial one year before FBI got them to get any bugs out. With the Match Grade Bbl they now come with some of the better shooters on Indy can hit steel plates most every shot at one hundred yards.  The Gen 6 will be good for two hundred yards.   (just kidding)

9 minutes ago, Will said:

Great gun,new spring system soaks up more recoil than previous generations and good for many more rounds before replacing.

Only Negative is they are a hair wider and longer and do not fit in some fitted leather holsters with thumbstraps. Indy PD had them on trial one year before FBI got them to get any bugs out. With the Match Grade Bbl they now come with some of the better shooters on Indy can hit steel plates most every shot at one hundred yards.  The Gen 6 will be good for two hundred yards.   (just kidding)

100 yards is pretty dang good for a pistol. They may have had Hickok45 training them.. 😄

I have never used Alum or Steel Case and never would.  Any of the good name brands should be fine in borh ball and hp and if any jams or suck after 200 rd break in would be a trip back to Glock,don't think you will have any.  Clean after every use and lightly oil rails and wipe it all out,plenty will stay behind.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, lock n' load said:

Do Glocks require any break-in period? I haven't been able to find a definite answer. Some say it doesn't need a break- in and some say shoot at least 500 rounds through it. I've only put 100 rounds through mine so far. I plan to test it more this weekend.

Nope.

2 hours ago, lock n' load said:

Do Glocks require any break-in period? I haven't been able to find a definite answer. Some say it doesn't need a break- in and some say shoot at least 500 rounds through it. I've only put 100 rounds through mine so far. I plan to test it more this weekend.

Like @TGO David said, no...but if you're thinking of this as a potential carry gun at any point, it can't hurt to shoot it until you're confident.

Glock doesn’t have a break in period, but it’s still a mechanical device made by machines and humans. There can be problems. And when it’s your life at stake, why not shoot a couple hundred rounds through it? Not necessary if it’s a range or competition gun, but I wouldn’t bet my life on anything mechanical working without confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up upgrading a part on my new Glock that was bugging me and that was the takedown tab. To me the factory one seemed too sunk in for me to manipulate it properly so I got the extended version. It seems to make a difference without sticking out too far. So far I've put 300+ rounds though it with ZERO malfunctions. My next upgrade will be the Ameriglo Bold sights. The stock ones just aren't all that great. But so far so good with everything else. 🙂

A good friend is buying his first pistol soon, after handling many different handguns, including a Gen 3 and 4, this will be his purchase.

Another friend with very good shooting skills can hit steel at 75 -100 with his. The pistol fit great, the barrel seems to be a winner.

Congrats!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, lock n' load said:

One thing I noticed that is if you look at the ejection port when loaded is that you can see the rim of the chambered cartridge. Is that normal? I don't think I could see that with my Gen 3 Glock. Don't think it'll be an issue but I noticed it.

Normal

• Like 1

I shot the gun some more this weekend and was using aluminum cased ammo. I was thinking my other Glock had some feeding issues with them but my Gen 5 ate them just fine. I also was watching a video review where the ejected rounds were bouncing off the reviewer's arm. I tried to pay attention to that when shooting and never had that issue. The video was two years old so maybe they changed the recoil spring or something.