On 8/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Whisper said:

GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation and Firearms Policy Coalition are all doing useful work.  Unfortunately, they each have about 200 members, none of them is doing any lobbying at the state level, and none of them has the networking strength to put on rallies or to mobilize voters in large groups.  Only the NRA can do that.  But until the NRA cleans house and becomes an organization of which gun owners can be proud, it doesn't deserve our support any more.  Let's build up the other organizations and hope that they'll someday have the strength to do what the NRA should be doing.  And try to rebuild the NRA, minus the corruption and compromising.

According to Wikipedia, GOA has over 2,000,000 members as of 2020, and SAF has over 650,000 members as of 2015.

I think the time is right for GOA to try and put the NRA out of business by saying in a campaign, "give us your membership dollars, and as we reach the NRA's membership levels, we'll wield that power more responsibly both politically and fiscally".  Clearly the NRA didn't prioritize the money they raised to be effective as a gun rights organization, they needed it to fund cronyism and lifestyle perks.   I very much believe under the right leadership with built in oversight and transparency from the beginning, GOA can reach the same level of political clout the NRA uses as their only legit defense.  From there, they money will come in from the industry, and they can fund the safety and range standard programs the non-legislative wing of the NRA does pretty well (I admit to not know if/how GOA may already try to do this).

Yes, it will be a public and brutal fight as the NRA will not go gentle into that good night.  But for the next few generations of gun rights, I'm willing to trade some short term disharmony to have the group politicians actually do business with hold values a better aligned to the core of gun ownership is supposed to be about (hint: it ain't hunting and sports).

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I think the time is right for GOA to try and put the NRA out of business by saying in a campaign, "give us your membership dollars, and as we reach the NRA's membership levels, we'll wield that power more responsibly both politically and fiscally".  Clearly the NRA prioritize the money they raised to be effective as a gun rights organization, they needed it to fund cronyism and lifestyle perks.   I very much believe under the right leadership with built in oversight and transparency from the beginning, GOA can reach the same level of political clout the NRA uses as their only legit defense.  From there, they money will come in from the industry, and they can fund the safety and range standard programs the non-legislative wing of the NRA does pretty well (I admit to not know if/how GOA may already try to do this).

Yes, it will be a public and brutal fight as the NRA will go gentle into that good night.  But for the next few generations of gun rights, I'm willing to trade some short term disharmony to have the group politicians actually do business with hold values a better aligned to the core of gun ownership is supposed to be about (hint: it ain't hunting and sports).

Hear! Hear! Except the part in red. I think that you meant to write that the NRA will not go gently into that good night. :)

• Like 1

Maybe all NRA members could write or call the board of directors if they have one and demand that the leadership be overhauled. Dunno if they would listen or not. If the organization wants to survive then changes must be made or the NRA will stand for Not Relavent Anymore.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, lock n' load said:

Maybe all NRA members could write or call the board of directors if they have one and demand that the leadership be overhauled. Dunno if they would listen or not. If the organization wants to survive then changes must be made or the NRA will stand for Not Relavent Anymore.

Totally useless, I've tried. The reason WLP is king is because he owns the Board of Directors or at least enough of them. That's why Ollie couldn't get anywhere.  Its not the first time somebody inside tried to rat WLP out and got burned for it. 

BTW: When the whole Ollie North thing came out, I tried many times to call or e-mail my opinions. Strangely, the Contact section of the NRA web site was down for several days. You could write a e-mail, but for some reason it wouldn't send. Phone calls didn't go through either.  :confused:

Ya know, instead of letting your NRA membership lapse, consider holding on and riding this out. Don't give 'em a penny extra, but hopefully the rebuild process will get something more to our liking. 

• Like 1
On 8/13/2020 at 1:07 PM, btq96r said:

Clearly the NRA didn't prioritize the money they raised to be effective as a gun rights organization, they needed it to fund cronyism and lifestyle perks.   I very much believe under the right leadership with built in oversight and transparency from the beginning, GOA can reach the same level of political clout the NRA uses as their only legit defense. 

GOA will have problems with reaching NRA-levels of political clout.  First is that the NRA has an extensive organization at the state level, and conducts highly visible lobbying of every state legislature.  GOA has nothing like that, and doesn't indicate that it even intends to try.  Second is that the GOA has some significant leadership problems of its own -- it's not governed by its members, and its hereditary leadership is not focused on the gun rights issue, but on various other political topics that will limit GOA's appeal to other potential gun rights allies.

• Like 1

Had a young punk behind the counter at a gun shop tell me the NRA has been disbanded. I told him that was funny, because I'm a life member and they still send me the magazine and the letters in the mail wanting more money. 

I signed up for a life membership years ago, but I don't send them any extra money. There is no doubt that they have some serious upper management problems, but I still think it's worth it to be a member. Those huge membership numbers do have an effect on swaying politicians, if nothing else.  

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...

Life member of both the NRA and SAF.

The NRA won’t get another dime from me for a long long time.  They primarily communicate with me asking for money, selling me fear, and spamming me with junk. 

SAF is a totally different deal.  Just this week I got a mailer from them and I thought “Oh no, better not be similar to the crap the NRA sends”.  I was pleasantly surprised when it was useful information about what they are doing to help me, a gun owner.  

I should look into the GOA or that TN group.   

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been an NRA Life Member for 40 years or so, but in the past few years I've really come to question the organization. As other here have stated, it's long past time for WLP to go.  The thing that bothers me most, I think, is that the NRA magazine hasn't addressed the controversy except in a purely defensive way. The new president wrote a puff piece about how great LaPierre is,  and how evil the NYC AG is, but not a word to address the real issue of spending huge money on trips, clothes, and "interns".  

I like the NRA, and want it to be hugely successful, but the salary and perqs that go to WLP are entirely out of hand.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Raoul said:

I think we've all been had. I've decided I'll spend my money on ammo instead of questionable lobbyist...

So, the price of a lifetime membership to the NRA would get you what, a box of white box 9mm?

On 8/10/2020 at 10:55 AM, Whisper said:

GOA and the Second Amendment Foundation and Firearms Policy Coalition are all doing useful work.  Unfortunately, they each have about 200 members, none of them is doing any lobbying at the state level, and none of them has the networking strength to put on rallies or to mobilize voters in large groups.  Only the NRA can do that.  But until the NRA cleans house and becomes an organization of which gun owners can be proud, it doesn't deserve our support any more.  Let's build up the other organizations and hope that they'll someday have the strength to do what the NRA should be doing.  And try to rebuild the NRA, minus the corruption and compromising.

Agree. I'm a lifetime member of NRA, but obtained that well before they started letting things slide. GOA and Firearms Policy Coalition get my money these days. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

^^^^ Yeah, stuff like that building is annoying I agree, and yes it's time for Wayne to go, it was time five years ago.

NRA Benefactor Lifer here... the turmoil is annoying as is their incessant begging, but they are still the big dog on the block. I'm a GOA - CRPA - and VCDL supporter too from time to time, but I just can't but feel without the NRA we are screwed.

Edited by ACfixer
  • Like 2