Back order experience with Brownell’s or Optics Planet??

I’m curious if anyone has had experience with the back order system on either Brownell’s or Optics Planet. I have a press backordered on each site and am wondering how reliable/accurate their estimating system is. Optics planet show 1-4 months when I ordered two days ago but it’s now showing September 20 as an estimated ship date. 
Brownell’s didn’t give an expected date yet. 
I just didn’t want to sit on a never ending back order list if either of them have known problems. 

Not sure on Brownells backorder, but I placed a small parts order last week that shipped in a few days. So they must be caught up on things they have in stock. I say this because Numrich showed they were just getting to 7/18/20 orders on the same day (8-7-20). And my order with them is on hold until they catch up even though they show everything in stock. Not sure on Optics Planet.  Kind of off topic, but I thought it might be good info for you. 

• Like 1

OpticsPlanet is usually terrible with estimates.  If they show they have it I have never had an issue.  If they say 4 weeks, that means who knows, it could be 16.  I would just leave them both and cancel the other after a shipping notice.  And keep looking.  One may pop up somewhere else.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

OpticsPlanet is usually terrible with estimates.  If they show they have it I have never had an issue.  If they say 4 weeks, that means who knows, it could be 16.  I would just leave them both and cancel the other after a shipping notice.  And keep looking.  One may pop up somewhere else.

That’s my current plan. They were the only two that would allow a backorder to be placed. Other places just allowed a notification list which I will be on. Thanks for the info. 

Yeah I figure the same.  I’m just hoping their estimates are “close”.  I’ve been on a back order list before where the seller had no really hope of getting the product and I was waiting for no reason.

Funny thing, I’m on a wait list for a certain guitar effects pedal that is about 3 years out now.  I kind of enjoy the wait knowing that I’ll probably appreciate it more once I have it. I guess that’s with all things though. I’ve been thinking on this press purchase for a while now and had I know there was a defacto wait list I’d have signed up a while back lol.

4 hours ago, Hozzie said:

@maroonandwhite

I've ordered something from OP that said it was in stock, and then when I got the order confirmation it said that it was out of stock by a long time. I'm not a fan of theirs.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

@maroonandwhite

I've ordered something from OP that said it was in stock, and then when I got the order confirmation it said that it was out of stock by a long time. I'm not a fan of theirs.

I went through this a couple of times with them. The few times I've ordered from them since, I've called their 1-800  number and twice the person I talked to told me what I wanted was out of stock even though their website said it was in stock.

23 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

I went through this a couple of times with them. The few times I've ordered from them since, I've called their 1-800  number and twice the person I talked to told me what I wanted was out of stock even though their website said it was in stock.

I hate that. They should try being honest. If it's a good deal, I don't mind the wait if I know up front. 

Back during the Great Panic of 2012-2013, Brownells had Pmags on sale.  The day of the shooting, I ordered a dozen each of 2 different types, right before the sale prices went away in the rush.  I had the option to cancel, or wait.  Since no charges had been made against my card, I decided to just wait them out until such time that orders were either filled or canceled.  Periodically Brownells sent out emails over the next few months asking if anybody wanted to cancel and giving updates on their attempts to fulfill outstanding orders.  About 10 months later I got an email that my order had shipped and a few days after that 2 dozen Pmags arrived.  My experience is then that Brownells does what they say they will, even during extraordinary circumstances ...

• Like 2

I've had several items over the years on back order thru B's, and have not known them to post the estimated dates (like Midway or OP). However, if you call, their CS will tell you what they expected in their system. Their chat reps don't tend to provide that, the phone folks usually. Most of that time that date has been good or its been a bit quicker. Times based on the supplier and of course, how far down the list you can be. 

Optics planet, as noted, can be sketchy, though they come thru most of the time. I have had them cancel or try to cancel a few times. But B's has never done that with any of my orders.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Erich said:

I've had several items over the years on back order thru B's, and have not known them to post the estimated dates (like Midway or OP). However, if you call, their CS will tell you what they expected in their system. Their chat reps don't tend to provide that, the phone folks usually. Most of that time that date has been good or its been a bit quicker. Times based on the supplier and of course, how far down the list you can be. 

Optics planet, as noted, can be sketchy, though they come thru most of the time. I have had them cancel or try to cancel a few times. But B's has never done that with any of my orders.

I just gave them a call as suggested. She said it looks like an estimate would be the middle of September which is right around my b-day. Optics Planet also lists roughly the same date so we will see. Hopefully I don’t end up with two before I can cancel one but if I do I’ll let you fellas have first dibs at it before I send it back. 

Edited by maroonandwhite
On 8/10/2020 at 2:40 PM, E4 No More said:

@maroonandwhite

I ordered something from OP yesterday that the web site said was in stock.  They still have decucted my money or shipped my item and the email from them said unknown availabilioty.  Pissees me off to lie and say they have it in stock when theu dont.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/optics-planet-customer-service-order-backup.181605/#post-1759334

If it's backordered on OP, best I could tell you is that you 'might' get it. Eventually. Their CS is just awful. A few years ago they were pretty good about stuff but they've completely phoned it in recently. 

Thanks for the link. I’ve cancelled the order and going with Brownells. 

• Like 2

Whelp.   Went with optics planet in first place as they said in stock and it was cheaper than brownells.  After ordering was complete they said out of stock.   Cancelled the optics Planet order just now and ordered through Brownells, who says in stock, and then found and used a coupon code onlione for 25.00 off, so ended up being overall 10 bucks cheaper than optics planet!    Thanks TGO for always giving great advice!