Wood stock finish questions..

This might not be the best forum for this, I apologize in advance if I’m in the wrong place and if someone could kindly direct me to where it belongs I would be much obliged. 

A friend of mine asked me this question this morning and while I thought I had an answer for him I paused and wondered. He has a bolt action deer gun he wants to freshen up. It has a walnut stock on it, not in terrible shape but it’s nothing particularly interesting either, no mentionable grain or design. He is wanting a camo type job on the whole rifle, and he has pretty much decided to OD green cerakote the action and barrel. He asked me if the cerakote would adhere to the walnut stock though. My initial gut feeling was for him to sand it down and just krylon camo paint the stock, but then I wondered if cerakote would be a better option...or if it would even work on walnut...or if hydro dipping would be better or worse for the walnut....  I just thought I’d post here and see what y’alls general thoughts or advice would be on it. He does want a durable finish as it is a hunting gun. 

• Moderators

I’ll be honest, I can’t help with the question of cerakote on wood. Though I would probably choose the krylon route of the two options presented. 

I do wonder if he has considered changing the stock out for a polymer one? Depending on the action it could very well be cheaper (and definitely lighter) than the cost of materials and time to refinish the wood stock. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys. The water part of hydro dipping is what worries me about it. I talked to him again this afternoon and I think I’ve talked him into just krylon for the stock. 

He doesn’t want a new rifle, just wants it to blend in a little more and be camo...I can’t blame him I like some of the camo finishes I saw when googling for an answer for him myself.