Turn off my notifications!

Guest BCR#1

• Administrator
Just now, BHunted said:

You're mad at him? Why?😉

childs play chucky GIF by absurdnoise

He's mad that ChuckTShoes moderated something he posted that looked every bit like non-Benefactor advertising on the surface.  He then sent me a private message telling me how unhappy he was about it, and how it had changed his mind about becoming a Benefactor himself.  Rather, he wanted me to know that he was leaving and that he wouldn't be supporting the TGO community that he's used since the year 2010 and made nearly 600 posts on.

Basically, he's being a toddler.

I don't delete accounts, but I don't have a problem banning them.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
14 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Reminds me of Caster...

Honestly it blows my mind that anyone within the 55-75 age bracket can rationalize acting so damned immature when it comes to things like this.  Dealing with the publc in some capacity my entire adult life has made it impossible to get behind the idea that only millennials are snowflakes.  There are too many grown-assed adults who expect special treatment and stick their bottom lips out like they're trying to provide a perch for a bird to sit on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

Reminds me of Caster...

Wow! That sure brings back memories of fun times! lol

Maybe we could get a thread for all the great issues that lead to banishment. That would make for some very entertaining reading during the long days and nights of the Covid era.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
50 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Honestly it blows my mind that anyone within the 55-75 age bracket can rationalize acting so damned immature when it comes to things like this.  Dealing with the publc in some capacity my entire adult life has made it impossible to get behind the idea that only millennials are snowflakes.  There are too many grown-assed adults who expect special treatment and stick their bottom lips out like they're trying to provide a perch for a bird to sit on.

Having spent many years in retail followed by my years as a truck driver, I can attest to this being 100% on point. 

As far as the situation at hand goes, I greatly value the folks who support this place by helping keep the lights on and will protect the privileges they hold from those who try to get a free ride. Sometimes it makes folks mad. They can be mad. 

• Like 10
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

and how it had changed his mind about becoming a Benefactor himself. 

Well…. you can’t just go off half cocked on a decision as big as whether to spend $35 a year to come a benefactor. 10 years is probably reasonable.

:leaving:

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Wow! That sure brings back memories of fun times! lol

Maybe we could get a thread for all the great issues that lead to banishment. That would make for some very entertaining reading during the long days and nights of the Covid era.

Maybe a "greatest hits" edition?

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I do want to clarify;  The person in question actually wasn't advertising something without being a Benefactor, but it absolutely looked like it at surface level.  When that happens, without being privy to all of the details, a moderator has to make an on-the-field judgment call.

Most of the time they're right.  Sometimes, in rare occasions, we find out that the post was benign.  When that happens, it's usually very easily cleared up via a private message between parties.

The way to clear it up isn't to launch an assault on the moderator or send me an ultimatum.  I'm pretty intolerant of people who try to add stress to my life.  :)

• Like 8
57 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I do want to clarify;  The person in question actually wasn't advertising something without being a Benefactor, but it absolutely looked like it at surface level.  When that happens, without being privy to all of the details, a moderator has to make an on-the-field judgment call.

Most of the time they're right.  Sometimes, in rare occasions, we find out that the post was benign.  When that happens, it's usually very easily cleared up via a private message between parties.

The way to clear it up isn't to launch an assault on the moderator or send me an ultimatum.  I'm pretty intolerant of people who try to add stress to my life.  :)

I thought the boss man was supposed to give ultimatums, not receive them?🤔

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Seeing this I wish he would have sent me or one of the other mods or the admins a PM. I would have gladly rescinded the sanction and openly apologized for the misunderstanding. I like to think I’m a reasonable dude. 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Seeing this I wish he would have sent me or one of the other mods or the admins a PM. I would have gladly rescinded the sanction and openly apologized for the misunderstanding. I like to think I’m a reasonable dude. 

Publicly I just want to say that I really appreciate everyhting you do for TGO.  Your record is above reproach as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

My only problem with Chuck is that he recently bought out all the recent offerings from GT...laugh. Clearly(I hope) I'm joking but I feel like all of us here share a common bond that's slowly disintegrating and for those that I've personally interacted with and those that I haven't I appreciate it for whatever it's worth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t know how it went down, but having been temporarily suspended for a joke, I know you cannot send a PM or do anything so that may not have worked.  

I would simply point out that it could have also been addressed by Chuck sending him a pm to ask details.  Maybe that happened, maybe it didn’t, but being an Admin on a forum as well, it’s up to us to do our part to understand as well. 

I will add, just because you can ‘not’ delete a users account doesn’t make it right if it is done out of a position of “I will show you”.  We should all have the right to request our accounts be removed if that is really what we want.  Doing the right thing comes in many flavors. 

Edited by Hozzie

Regardless of how it happened, a little understanding goes along way. Also, to note, a 1 year Benefactor membership only gets you access to Benefactor perks. It’s not a get out of jail free card. Everyone (members, benefactors, lifetime benefactors, moderators, and admin) follows the same code of conduct.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Most warnings on TGO are just that - sort of a timeout to cool down a bit. They’re temporary because the vast majority of people are able to check themselves in a setting that doesn’t lend itself well to nuanced expressions.

The actions taken on the original thread were appropriate. It looked like a questionable sales ad - or a vendor trying to skirt the rules.

The OP kind of lost it and made his demands regarding our staffing, board rules, etc.

David said no. We moved on - until the thread this morning.

We make decisions on moderators based on folks we think add to the community - and who are level headed.  @Chucktshoes is such a benefit to this community.  He is beyond tolerant of such diversity of opinions .  He’s on a ton.

He closed the thread - and like he said, all of this could have been avoided with a simple PM.

Our mods do this out of the goodness of their hearts and their love of this community.

Were in such crazy times.  It’s a marathon not a sprint right now. Take a good deep breath. We don’t need anyone puking all over their shoes a couple months from now. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1