3D printing and STL file manipulation

Capbyrd

Alright.  Below is a picture of the part.   Below that is a link to the stl.  

Basically, I want to cut the nipple off the end and put a hole down the center to basically act as a pilot.   I'm going to be drilling the center out and tapping it to put a swivel tip set screw in.   I put a picture of the set screw below as well.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.10.28 AM

50244128058_659b519679_b.jpg

https://cdn.thingiverse.com/assets/7c/0c/87/86/3e/Bolt_Jig_Screw_V5.stl

Probably just as easy to design a new part altogether as simple as it is.  What are the dimensions and thread pitches you want inside and out?  And do you mean take the head off or the tip on the end?

To add, you can get Fusion 360 for personal use for free.  There are a lot of youtube video's on how to use it.  Something like this could be a good first attempt to create something.

Edited by Hozzie
9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

Probably just as easy to design a new part altogether as simple as it is.  What are the dimensions and thread pitches you want inside and out?  And do you mean take the head off or the tip on the end?

To add, you can get Fusion 360 for personal use for free.  There are a lot of youtube video's on how to use it.  Something like this could be a good first attempt to create something.

The nipple, or tip or whatever.   Not the handle.  I can barely resize photos in photoshop.   Designing something from the ground up would take me months and I'd rather not wait that long.  

No problem.  If you give me the dimensions and  thread  types I will make you something. The hard part with trying to edit the STL is it can be hard to keep the dimensions correct.  You have to convert them to something else before you can edit them.  Or at least it is for me.  I am a hobbyist with this stuff so someone that really knows what they are doing may not have that issue, but I have had a problem with a couple of other parts I have tried to edit. 

Edited by Hozzie

The outer thread is 5/8 - 11 unc thread.   I don't have the part with me to actually measure.  If import the STL into tinkercad, it gives me the following measurements.  

1.75 length (the handle of the screw)
0.7 width (the head of the screw without the two handles)
2.45 height (the length of the bolt overall.  This measurement could be a quarter inch shorter since Ive got the thrust head set screw to put into it.)

I can measure out the actual printed part when I get home. 

Oh, and the thrust head set screw is a 5/16-18 thread but I have a drill and tap for that so just a pilot to center my drill is all I really need.   I'm going to print it solid so that it can be drilled and tapped easily.  Plus I want to hold up to some serious spring pressure. 

I really appreciate you helping. 

Edited by Capbyrd

That's the issue, you never know what it was designed in to start with after the conversion.  Maybe print it out and give me some measurements to confirm.  It is really easy for me to do an internal thread.  I may do both just to try it and see how it goes.  It may be a couple of days before I get to it, but I will do it.  Lots going on at work right now.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Hozzie said:

That's the issue, you never know what it was designed in to start with after the conversion.  Maybe print it out and give me some measurements to confirm.  It is really easy for me to do an internal thread.  I may do both just to try it and see how it goes.  It may be a couple of days before I get to it, but I will do it.  Lots going on at work right now.

Thank you again.  I measured it this morning and the printed part measured out at 2.43" long, 1.75" wide at the handle wings, .7" wide at the handle without wings and .59 wide thread peaks.  So that lines up with the measurements above.   

BUT!!!!  I got to work this morning and my coworker that said he didn't think he could do it, did it.  And he printed me one.   So thank you once again but I think this is going to work.  And if it does, there will be another thread about this part. 

50247205943_bc0c33b1a3_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

Thank you again.  I measured it this morning and the printed part measured out at 2.43" long, 1.75" wide at the handle wings, .7" wide at the handle without wings and .59 wide thread peaks.  So that lines up with the measurements above.   

BUT!!!!  I got to work this morning and my coworker that said he didn't think he could do it, did it.  And he printed me one.   So thank you once again but I think this is going to work.  And if it does, there will be another thread about this part. 

50247205943_bc0c33b1a3_b.jpg

Sounds good.  Glad you got it figured out.