Can you help us? Remembering our fallen members by setting aside a new User Group.

• Administrator

I am setting up a new category of member that will be used strictly to memorialize our fallen / dearly departed friends.  Thankfully the number of departed is mercifully low for as long as TGO has been around and as many members as we have, but I do not want to risk these accounts and their contributions to the forum ever being lost to a routine "purge" of inactive accounts.

Can you help us remember who all should be moved to this group?

image.png

• Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
4 minutes ago, Defender said:

A good friend died a few years back, but I cant remember his name on here...it was Tommy something. Is there a way for me to search to figure it out?

Only if you can remember topics he participated in.  We're hoping you guys can help us remember them.

I also added MouseGunner to the group.

• Like 5

I like the idea, but I respectfully request another image be selected for this group as I think the current one should be left for our folks that were left behind.

Maybe something like this??

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQacpylm2rYphC8k7l6blU

Edited by Omega
  • Like 2
  • Moderators
19 minutes ago, Omega said:

I like the idea, but I respectfully request another image be selected for this group as I think the current one should be left for our folks that were left behind.

That POW/MIA image was the profile pic that Marswolf used. It wasn’t changed, just the title underneath that says “In Memoriam” was added.

In case you don’t know who Marswolf was, he was a Vietnam Vet and much beloved member of the community that’s been gone for just over a decade now. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators
14 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That POW/MIA image was the profile pic that Marswolf used. It wasn’t changed, just the title underneath that says “In Memoriam” was added.

In case you don’t know who Marswolf was, he was a Vietnam Vet and much beloved member of the community that’s been gone for just over a decade now. 

And the OP in the music thread. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
41 minutes ago, Omega said:

You are misinterpreting the screenshot.  The POW logo was Marswolf's avatar.

• Like 1

My friend Mousegunner, Dr. Marshal St. John’s, departed us in 2011.  He had only been interested in firearms for about 15 years but researched and contributed a lot to our hobby.  I really miss his wisdom.  He was an all around wonderful man.  I frequently handle newly released firearms and think how much he would have enjoyed many of them. 

I just looked, Mousegunner’s last login was nine years ago today!

Edited by Patton
  • Like 4
  • Administrator

Any of you who didn't know Marswolf when he was among us... Y'all would have either loved him or hated him.  Shannon was an OG badass who up until the very end was serving the country for a few different alphabet soup agencies, doing some really bad things to some really bad people.  AND he had great taste in music, could make me laugh like almost no other, and was just a hell of a good guy that I think of often.

I'll be pouring a glass of something good tonight and raising it not only in his honor, but in the honor of the others here that we've lost too soon.

We may not realize it, but we are definitely diminished each time one of our ranks sets sail for distant shores.

• Like 12
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

I know we lost another member many years ago but I cannot recall his screen name. I want to say he shot himself in the foot/leg and it eventually killed him. Anyone recall that? 

Good catch.  That was Don - @Timestepper

He was larger than life in a lot of ways. 

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

Also.  I know sometimes that members passing aren’t necessarily public.

We’ve got some members who’ve had a hard go of things and have been in my prayers for years.

If you want to PM David or me privately, we can add people to the list. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
12 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I know we lost another member many years ago but I cannot recall his screen name. I want to say he shot himself in the foot/leg and it eventually killed him. Anyone recall that? 

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Good catch.  That was Don - @Timestepper

He was larger than life in a lot of ways. 

Thanks to both of you.  I added him to the group.

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

@Mikefite passed a couple of years ago in an accident. 

Ditto here.  Mike's in that group now also.

• Administrator

ALL...

I will leave this question open for another day but tomorrow I am going to close it down and do some maintenance in our database that will remove accounts.  Sorry for the short lead time, but I need to close the loop on this fairly quickly.