RCBS mounting plate?

I couldn’t pass up a killer deal on a Rock Chucker Supreme while I’m waiting on my coax and am wondering if many of you Rock Chucker owners use the base plate they sale. I have no use to move the press once mounted and am mainly wondering if it helps to spread the load out more evenly across the desk. Having it properly mounted in the bench seems like it’d be enough. 

Inline Fabrication is all you need to know.

I haven't looked at the RCBS offering but the Inline Fab options are amazing. Flush mount, raised, quick change ...

I have the raised quick mount and it's nice to swap between presses quickly, as I don't have space to keep both mounted.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:10 PM, jonathon1289 said:

Inline Fabrication is all you need to know.

I haven't looked at the RCBS offering but the Inline Fab options are amazing. Flush mount, raised, quick change ...

I have the raised quick mount and it's nice to swap between presses quickly, as I don't have space to keep both mounted.

+1 on Inline Fab stuff. I also have the raised quick mount, and several other accessories he offers for a couple different presses. Careful, once you have one or two things from him, you'll want it all! Lol super nice guy to work with too. 

LC

Well I got the RC in and I must say I’m going to either need an in-line fab mount or a much sturdier bench. I’ve used a Dillon 550 on this table with no issue but when I just tried to resize a .308 win case I just about broke the top. That’s with a 2x4 underneath for added support. 

I have two benches in the shop that are plenty sturdy but I want to be in the A/C. Looks like it’s time to build a heavy bench that I don’t have to bolt to the wall. I usually like 3/4” MDF for the top with a second layer underneath the press. 

Im just wondering if I can get away with not securing it to the wall. 

6 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

Well I got the RC in and I must say I’m going to either need an in-line fab mount or a much sturdier bench. I’ve used a Dillon 550 on this table with no issue but when I just tried to resize a .308 win case I just about broke the top. That’s with a 2x4 underneath for added support. 

I have two benches in the shop that are plenty sturdy but I want to be in the A/C. Looks like it’s time to build a heavy bench that I don’t have to bolt to the wall. I usually like 3/4” MDF for the top with a second layer underneath the press. 

Im just wondering if I can get away with not securing it to the wall. 

The inline mount will help distribute the force a bit on your bench, but unless you have the support underneath, you may run into the same issue. Under my work surface, I have two 2x4 studs on edge running from the front of the bench to the back, and drilled through all the way with washers and lock nuts to mount the inline. I could probably stand on my press handle and it wouldn't flex. 

You may get away with MDF, as long as the structure underneath is beefy and you go through that. As far as bolting to the wall, you may be able to avoid it as long as you have enough weight on the bench.

LC

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Loudcherokee said:

The inline mount will help distribute the force a bit on your bench, but unless you have the support underneath, you may run into the same issue. Under my work surface, I have two 2x4 studs on edge running from the front of the bench to the back, and drilled through all the way with washers and lock nuts to mount the inline. I could probably stand on my press handle and it wouldn't flex. 

You may get away with MDF, as long as the structure underneath is beefy and you go through that. As far as bolting to the wall, you may be able to avoid it as long as you have enough weight on the bench.

LC

Could also be that I used one shot since I don’t have any sizing wax yet. I’ve never used it for rifle brass and probably didn’t let it dry like I should have. I’ve honestly never reloaded anything larger than .223 or .300 blackout so I’m not sure what the resistance should feel like. It was substantial though. 

2 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

Could also be that I used one shot since I don’t have any sizing wax yet. I’ve never used it for rifle brass and probably didn’t let it dry like I should have. I’ve honestly never reloaded anything larger than .223 or .300 blackout so I’m not sure what the resistance should feel like. It was substantial though. 

I've resized plenty of .308 with One Shot, but you are correct, you gotta let it dry first for sure. Also make sure you get it in the inside of the case neck too. You're using the case lube, and not the cleaner lube, right? . My first press was a Lee 4 hole turret mounted to a plywood bench and I didn't have near the resistance you describe and one shot was all I had at the time. A rock chucker should handle that with no problem.

Make sure your die is good and clean too as a gummed up die will present itself like you describe. Any good degreaser will work. I like KG3 but recently I've been using Hornadys One Shot cleaner and lube for all my dies and like the dry film lube it leaves on the exposed metal. Have a slight humidity problem out in my shop and it helps prevent rust issues. 

LC

10 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

I've resized plenty of .308 with One Shot, but you are correct, you gotta let it dry first for sure. Also make sure you get it in the inside of the case neck too. You're using the case lube, and not the cleaner lube, right? . My first press was a Lee 4 hole turret mounted to a plywood bench and I didn't have near the resistance you describe and one shot was all I had at the time. A rock chucker should handle that with no problem.

Make sure your die is good and clean too as a gummed up die will present itself like you describe. Any good degreaser will work. I like KG3 but recently I've been using Hornadys One Shot cleaner and lube for all my dies and like the dry film lube it leaves on the exposed metal. Have a slight humidity problem out in my shop and it helps prevent rust issues. 

LC

I’ll retry tonight but it is one shot lube for sure. I mainly used it for pistol reloading just to make my 550 run super smoothly. 

Im still going to upgrade my bench though. I have no interest in mounting it to the wall so I’ll be building one similar to this but swapping 2x4’s in for the 2x6’s since I have plenty of them laying around. Should still be plenty sturdy if I double up the top with 3/4” MDF. 

https://myoutdoorplans.com/workshop/diy-reloading-bench-plans/