Budget 30-6 long range rifles under $400 ??

OLDNEWBIE

Inherited 100 rds of 30-6 milsurp ammo and thinking I should have a rifle to shoot it!

Never had a "long range" rifle and been researching a bit. The things I like are out of my budget.

Next few months I'll be ready to buy something I'm thinking.

What slightly used rifles would you all be looking at in the $400 range? Ones you've owned or shot.

Won't be  hunting. Just Targets and probably not as far as I'd like but want the capability of some real distance.

I have been told the Savage 110s are hard to beat.

I just purchased a Savage Axis in .30-06. I haven't shot it yet, but will soon. This is my budget long"ish" range gun. I chose the .30-06 because that is what I deer hunt with and I won't have to stock up on another caliber of ammo by adding a .308 or 6.5 or etc...

• Like 1

If I were to consider a new bolt action it would be a Savage.  They are well known for accuracy at a nice price.  Several years ago I shot someone’s else’s Savage .30-06 using my surplus Greek HXP M2 ball ammo exactly three times at 100 yards.  Two of the holes were touching, the other close enough to call it well under one MOA.

• Like 2

Look for a used Savage 110 with a laminate stock and accutrigger, then make sure the barrel is floated.

I'm not totally positive that one is available in .30-06 with laminate, but I'd rule that out before looking elsewhere. Failing that, I'd pick another 110 with accutrigger.

• Like 1

Savage Axis. I'm on my 6th, in one incarnation or another, & I've yet to shoot one that won't print super small groups. 

I couldn't say 'it's an sub moa' rifle, because honestly, very few are, despite the internet... but every one I've owned will hit a 3'x3' steel plate at 1000yds. That said, it took probably 500+ shots worth of practice, missing, math & ballistic calculations & corrections to be able to do it every time. 

99% of LR shooting is down to that great big nut behind the trigger ;)

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Count my vote for a Savage. I'm a lefty so the Savage was a quick decision for me. Mine is a model 10FLP in .308. Out of the box it was an MOA rifle, then after I put some work into it, bedded the action, bell and carlson medalist stock, free floated the barrel all the way to the nut, etc its easily a sub moa rifle all day long. 

LCScreenshot_20200828-101722_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3b81a940d83653f5ddff6f166b44845e.jpg

• Like 2
On 8/24/2020 at 5:23 PM, memphismason said:

I have been told the Savage 110s are hard to beat.

I just purchased a Savage Axis in .30-06. I haven't shot it yet, but will soon. This is my budget long"ish" range gun. I chose the .30-06 because that is what I deer hunt with and I won't have to stock up on another caliber of ammo by adding a .308 or 6.5 or etc...

I've noticed that a variety of 30-6 has been on the shelves almost everywhere I look during this new season of hoarding. Not boxes and boxes but always some sitting out, Another reason to go with 30-6 other than I inherited a bunch of the milsurp. 

• Like 1
On 8/26/2020 at 9:56 PM, Handsome Rob said:

Ooh. One last thing. Im assuming that your scope budget is not included. 

A $200 rifle with an $800 scope will beat an $800 rifle with a $200 scope, 10 times out of 10

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7 x 33 Accu-range sitting around. It was on my mini-14 and held up well. Cost $140 8 or 9 years ago. No idea if that would be suitable for a 30-6 but it's what I have.

Not a super long range scope I know but I'll be super lucky to find a 200 yd place to shoot anyway.

The -'06 is a very established round, and the volume of rifles chambered in it suggest it'll probably never go away. I (half) jokingly tell people that I like to be able to find my Three Bs at the gas station: bullets, beer, and batteries. The .30-'06 definitely qualifies.

In terms of range and scope, if you're sticking to under 200 yds a 2-7 will be serviceable. Get it mounted and go have fun!

Edited by TomInMN
Dang it, autocorrect! You're not helping!
  • Like 1

I when I was trying to find an old school Walnut and polished blue bolt action in .223 or .243, I got lot of replies from folks that said they didn’t have that, but they had 30-06. I saw a lot of nice ones in the $300-$500 price range.

1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

Been a long time since I saw ammo at a gas station 

Really? It's pretty common up here when you're outside the more urban/ suburban areas. No "regular" beer, wine, or sprits though. For that, you have to go to the offsale. (Which is frequently pretty much the same physical place, with just an open door and wall seperating them).

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, OLDNEWBIE said:

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7 x 33 Accu-range sitting around. It was on my mini-14 and held up well. Cost $140 8 or 9 years ago. No idea if that would be suitable for a 30-6 but it's what I have.

Not a super long range scope I know but I'll be super lucky to find a 200 yd place to shoot anyway.

if your max distance is 200 yards I would look into something cheaper to shoot than 30-06.  I know .223 is hard to find, but even at today's crazy prices it is still way cheaper in the long run.  

I know precision rimfire is a worm hole on the cost side, but could be fun alternative if you're not looking for stopping power at 100-200 yards obviously.

8 hours ago, FrankD said:

if your max distance is 200 yards I would look into something cheaper to shoot than 30-06.  I know .223 is hard to find, but even at today's crazy prices it is still way cheaper in the long run.  

I know precision rimfire is a worm hole on the cost side, but could be fun alternative if you're not looking for stopping power at 100-200 yards obviously.

Practical use yes .223 but the way the world is going and as a minimal on again off again lazy prepper of sorts as my avatar suggests.......

Would like to have the capability in reserve to hit something at a range that the average joe six pack wouldn't be expecting. Even if I have no place to shoot that far at the moment. Anyway all is on hold now as I've decided to buy another investment home in this crazy market. Hoarding cash not guns for now lol.