Optic for Winchester 30-30

loadedp3at

I'd put a low powered scope on it. 聽Something like a 4x,聽2-7x or at most a 3-9x. 聽With a 30-30, ballistically, anything more than that would be far out perform the round you are firing. 聽I have red dots on my AR's and anything over 100 yards just "feels" far even with my fairly young eyes. 聽You also need to look cool when you are hunting, and a scope on a 30-30 just seems right. 聽

What ranges do you hunt at that you would use your 30-30 at?

30-30 will run out of steam by 200 maybe 225 with specialized ammunition.

Most deer hunting here in TN is under 100 yards unless you are hunting across a bean field, which a 30-30 is not the best choice for.

I would suggest trying it as is or getting a good peep sight and seeing how you do shooting it at the range. If necessary, get a fixed low power scope, no need for a variable power scope on a 30-30.

My eyes are terrible without glasses, and I鈥檇 try my best to make do with some good irons first.

I put a Williams adjustable peep sight on my Winchester 1886 45-70 and it works great. I have the older eyes issue, too,聽with iron sights and this was a great fix. Zeroed it at 200 yards and feel very comfortable taking that shot and anything nearer. Action and ejection work perfect.

F47D0E9A-5DE0-488A-8D3D-5855FC6FA36F.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

I've always considered any kind of optic on a lever gun to be pure blasphemy.聽馃が

However, like you, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I've considered the Pearson. No Gunsmithing Forward rail many times. It allows for a scout scope聽 or red dot type mount without interfering with ejection.聽聽Just can't get myself to pull the trigger.聽馃檮

https://www.mod94scoperail.com/

Just get closer to your game.聽馃槃

I called in this bobcat and took him at 35 yards with my 1966 Winchester 30-30. My eyes are 65-years-old wore out, so yes, iron sights are tough, but still work for me close up.

IMG_5371.thumb.JPG.9a3e54f984e0870f9b2edf049e66892a.JPGI limit my deer shots to 50 yards with irons. Not hard if you hunt thick woods. If I'm hunting open fields, I still have some scoped bolt guns for that.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

Nice pic. do you only have the ramp sight of are you using a peep sight?

I'm using the factory ramp sights and there's no front hood on this model, which is good. Even on models I have with hoods, I always remove them. It allows more light to hit that sight I have found. I've also found that putting a dab of white paint on the front sight tip makes it a lot easier to pick up against a brown background, like the side of a deer. 馃檪

The rifle is a Winchester Centennial 66, made in 1966, in 30-30. When I bought it from my friend Terry W (TGO member) it had never been fired, nor loaded. I told him I was going to hurt the collectability and shoot the heck out of it. He was good with that. LOL ... actually, it's the nicest shooting 30-30 I've owned. It has a 26" octagon barrel which adds some FPS and really steadies out nice for off hand shots. I'm not a collector, I'm a shooter, so anything I have I shoot. It's a shame so many of the commemorative 94s are collecting dust. They're really made to shoot!

https://www.chuckhawks.com/win_centennial_66.htm

Edited by 221 Fireball
  • Like 1