Howdy from East TN!

Hello folks! 

New member here, been a long time resident of TN, member of several other forums but just recently found TGO. 

Love to shoot and reload, both pistol and rifle. Recently been interested in trying to get involved in some competitions, possibly 3-gun, but mostly interested in F Class and maybe PRS. Have shot out to 300 and held my own, but want to go farther. Need to find a place to stretch my rifles legs! Would love to shoot 1000 yards, and eventually tackle a mile, but only after I build the 6.5 Creed I've been planning. 

LC

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Welcome! ORSA has what you're looking for range wise. 

Would love to join up there! They are only 10 minutes away from me, which is much closer than Dead Zero. I sent them an email earlier this year, but the week after I sent the email was when everything went south with Covid and things were shutting down. I'll have to send them another email, although I think they require a sponsor to join. 

LC

15 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

Would love to join up there! They are only 10 minutes away from me, which is much closer than Dead Zero. I sent them an email earlier this year, but the week after I sent the email was when everything went south with Covid and things were shutting down. I'll have to send them another email, although I think they require a sponsor to join. 

LC

I believe they do require a sponsor.  There are several members here, though i am not. 

It's a great facility, I really liked going there to shoot. Just haven't had the $$$ for ammo the last few years, so it seemed silly to spend $160 on a club membership I'd use once a year? If you shoot once a month (which I should...) it's worth it, IMO. I usually spent more time talking to other folks on the bench/after shooting. It would get busy during certain times of year, but if you can go on a miscellaneous weekday morning/afternoon, you're just as likely to have the whole range to yourself. Pistol and skeet ranges were fun, they had rifle benches out to 200 yds, but heaven help you before deer season! Ironically enough, one time I was there, we had to stop shooting for a few  minutes because a group of them wanted to run through the middle of the range!

I've got some acreage now, and started clearing a lane and building a backstop at one corner of the property... 10 yds is cleared and in use, I'm almost out to 75, just needs some clean-up... too hot to chainsaw now, if you don't have to. Looks like I'm not too far from you!

- Kevin

21 minutes ago, ReeferMac said:

It's a great facility, I really liked going there to shoot. Just haven't had the $$$ for ammo the last few years, so it seemed silly to spend $160 on a club membership I'd use once a year? If you shoot once a month (which I should...) it's worth it, IMO. I usually spent more time talking to other folks on the bench/after shooting. It would get busy during certain times of year, but if you can go on a miscellaneous weekday morning/afternoon, you're just as likely to have the whole range to yourself. Pistol and skeet ranges were fun, they had rifle benches out to 200 yds, but heaven help you before deer season! Ironically enough, one time I was there, we had to stop shooting for a few  minutes because a group of them wanted to run through the middle of the range!

I've got some acreage now, and started clearing a lane and building a backstop at one corner of the property... 10 yds is cleared and in use, I'm almost out to 75, just needs some clean-up... too hot to chainsaw now, if you don't have to. Looks like I'm not too far from you!

- Kevin

Good to know! Definitely looking for like-minded shooters to learn from as well. Most of the people I know that shoot are not into competitons, long range, or anything of the sort. They shoot once a year to check their rifles zero before hunting season, then unless they actually luck up and see a deer, they won't shoot again until the following year lol. 

I had emailed them asking about an "open house day" or something like that to come check out the club, and asked about competitions held there and some other questions about membership but never heard back. But, like I said, that was at the beginning of all this Covid madness so probably bad timing. 

I'll have to see if finances allow for me to send in the application next week. Good to know its only 160. For some reason I was thinking it was much more.

LC