The Crud (Fall 2020 Edition)

• Administrator

For the past two weeks I have been reminded of this meme...

Sunday Funday Random Memes and Images (31 Photos) -

I have been through a ridiculous rollercoaster of maladies over the past month and still hold suspicion that I had my encounter with COVID-19.  I still have not "manned up" and gone for a test because the idea of a Q-Tip lobotomy doesn't sound fun to me.  Meanwhile I've had recurring cases of cold chills, muscle aches, periods of insatiable thirst, periods of absolutely no appetite, and a dry cough with shortness of breath that feels like the worst bronchitis I can remember.

Last week I had the stomach bug.  I used a teledoctor service that my company provides and the doc told me that "something" was going around in the Nashville area and that my symptoms were consistent with what she had seen.  Primarily, no evacuation of the stomach (fore or aft) for any sort of relief, but rather waves of pain and nausea.

So, I throw this out there not for sympathy as I am finally starting to feel somewhat better... but I am curious to know if anyone else has been on this same rollercoaster lately or if I am just special.  😄

Last year I had the "flu". Several ways that it manifested itself was in respiratory distress and a loss of the ability to taste or smell, which still bothers me today. I was sick for weeks. I've also met several others that had similar symptoms. I'm convinced that the covid virus has been circulating for a while.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've seen some articles where doctors are concerned with the coming of the normal flu season. Symptoms are very similar to Covid and there are worries of misdiagnosis leading to major problems with both diseases. 

Back in July I lost a filling and chipped a tooth. Before I could get to the dentist, it got infected. The infection spread to my sinuses and somehow triggered a serious COPD episode. I was sick as a dog and barely able to breath for several weeks. I was scared it might be Covid there for a while, but tested negative. I'm just now getting over it. Weird how one small ailment can lead to other much more serious stuff. Trust me, I'm an expert on that and it sucks.  :wall:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Pain103 said:

Yep I have horrible sinus problems get the stink eye if I sneeze. Ive been tested for the rona multiple times due to exposures at work been negative every time. It isn’t as bad as some people make it out to be. 

Yes. Yes it is. 32 foot pole tipped with cotton. At least 31 feet of it went up my nostrils. I think it caused one of my eyeballs to fall out. I don’t think I’m exaggerating at all.😇

I’m also of the opinion that it’s been around a while. My doctor is pretty certain that he and I both had it around November and December of 2019. 

Edited by res308
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

local cvs is pushing the flu shot.  seems they are pushing the flu shot early this year.  hard to say if the flu shot works.  i use to get the flu shot, then i stopped, then started back.  it has been "hit and miss" with the shot for me.  still have not gotten the real flu yet.  

Yea but if you get the Chinese 2019 flu, it makes headline news and people make money out of it. I saw a youtube video yesterday and it showed a segment where CBS faked a testing station that had a long line in it, they weren't testing they were just making it look worse. IMHO this is the culmination of lots of money and time trying to bring this nation down. Let's shut down all the Essential businesses, and all the non-essential people can go jump off a cliff I suppose. Bunch of hogwash. There are more abortions each day than this stuff has killed and why aren't those abortions listed under "murder"?? Think on that awhile.

• Like 2

Ok but it still was a fake testing to make it appear worse than it is. The point being whomever did this was trying to skew the appearance that this is so bad we need to shut down the world. This is my opinion only, but I don't see how this nation and probably the world can keep from getting into a very deep economic depression.  Also can we trust all the fact checkers? Like Snopes=nopes!! We are pretty much at the mercy of the media outlets. Like the old saying believe nothing you hear and only part of what you see..

• Like 1
4 hours ago, frankmako said:

local cvs is pushing the flu shot.  seems they are pushing the flu shot early this year.  hard to say if the flu shot works.  i use to get the flu shot, then i stopped, then started back.  it has been "hit and miss" with the shot for me.  still have not gotten the real flu yet.  

Mid August is about normal for the flu shot to arrive. They usually only push it for older folks this early, but it's usually available about now. 

19 hours ago, Quavodus said:

There's a lot of stuff in them that shouldn't be. 

Like what?

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207#what-is-in-a-flu-shot-and-why

What is in a flu shot and why?

Many vaccines for flu and other viruses contain similar ingredients. The purpose of each ingredient is to either make the vaccine effective or ensure that it is safe.

Many studies over the years have shown that flu vaccines are safe. The CDC say that it is the best way to avoid getting the flu and spreading it to other people.

The following list looks at seven ingredients in vaccines, including flu shots, and why vaccines need them:

1. Influenza viruses

The flu vaccine contains tiny amounts of the viruses it protects against. The presence of these viruses in the vaccine triggers the body’s natural defense mechanism to produce antibodies to fight them. This means that the body quickly recognizes them when exposed to the disease in “real life.”

Different influenza viruses contained in a flu shot are:

• influenza A virus H1N1 called the Michigan strain
  • Influenza A virus H3N2 called the Hong Kong strain
  • one or two influenza B viruses called the Brisbane and Phuket strains

Traditional flu shots are trivalent (three-component) vaccines because they protect against three viruses: two influenza A viruses (H1N1 and H3N2), and one influenza B virus.

A person can also get a quadrivalent (four-component) vaccine, which protects against an additional B virus.

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde is toxic and potentially lethal in high doses. However, it is present in such small amounts in a flu vaccination that it is harmless.

Formaldehyde’s role in the flu shot is to inactivate toxins from viruses and bacteria that may contaminate the vaccine during production, as well as the viruses naturally present in the vaccine.

Formaldehyde is typically present in the human body and is a product of healthy digestive function.

3. Aluminum Salts

Aluminum has been used in vaccines for over 70 years.

Aluminum salts are adjuvants, meaning that they help the body to develop a stronger immune response against the virus in the vaccine. Because they boost the body’s response, this means that the vaccine can contain smaller amounts of the virus.

Similar to formaldehyde, and to most ingredients in the flu shot, the amount of aluminum present in the vaccine is extremely small.

This compound is not always present in flu vaccines, some of which are aluminum-free.

4. Thimerosal

Thimerosal is a preservative that keeps the vaccine free from contamination by bacteria and fungi. Without this, the growth of bacteria and fungi is common when a syringe is in a multi-dose vial (a vial that contains more than one dose).

Thimerosal is made of an organic form of mercury known as ethylmercury, a safe compound that usually only stays in the blood for a few days.

It is different from the standard mercury that can cause illness in large doses, and from the mercury found in seafood (called methylmercury), which can stay in the body for years.

Flu shots will only contain thimerosal when they are in a multi-dose vial. Single-dose vials, pre-filled syringes, and nasal sprays do not need to include this preservative because contamination is not an issue.

5. Chicken egg proteins

Proteins from chicken eggs help viruses to grow before they go into the vaccine.

Influenza viruses used in vaccines are usually grown inside fertilized chicken eggs, where the virus makes copies of itself. After that, the viruses are separated from the egg and placed in the vaccine; this means that the finished vaccine may contain small amounts of egg proteins.

The CDC say that the flu shot is typically safe for people with egg allergies, but those who have an egg allergy must mention it to the doctor before receiving the shot. A person with a severe egg allergy may require monitoring by a doctor following the injection.

Egg-free flu shots are also available.

6. Gelatin

Gelatin is present in the flu shot as a stabilizer. Stabilizers keep the vaccine effective from the point of production to the moment of use.

Stabilizers also help to protect the vaccine from the damaging effects of heat or freeze-drying.

Most flu vaccines use pork-based gelatin as a stabilizer.

7. Antibiotics

Antibiotics are present in the flu vaccine to keep bacteria from growing during the production and storage of the vaccine.

Vaccines do not contain antibiotics that may cause severe reactions, such as penicillin. Instead, vaccines contain other forms of antibiotics, such as gentamicin or neomycin. Neomycin is also an ingredient in many topical medications, such as lotions, ointments, and eye drops.

• Like 1

Formaldehyde is in small amounts but, for somebody that gets one every year couldn't the crap build up over time. Does it really need to be in there? My younger sister is a nurse and won't get flu shots and her family does not either.

Edited by Quavodus
On 8/29/2020 at 8:34 PM, Grayfox54 said:

I've seen some articles where doctors are concerned with the coming of the normal flu season. Symptoms are very similar to Covid and there are worries of misdiagnosis leading to major problems with both diseases. 

Back in July I lost a filling and chipped a tooth. Before I could get to the dentist, it got infected. The infection spread to my sinuses and somehow triggered a serious COPD episode. I was sick as a dog and barely able to breath for several weeks. I was scared it might be Covid there for a while, but tested negative. I'm just now getting over it. Weird how one small ailment can lead to other much more serious stuff. Trust me, I'm an expert on that and it sucks.  :wall:

Yep. I understand. Been there...done that...got the t-shirt for it. And still doing it!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Formaldehyde is in small amounts but, for somebody that gets one every year couldn't the crap build up over time. Does it really need to be in there? My younger sister is a nurse and won't get flu shots and her family does not either.

No. Your body regulates it. https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/phs/phs.asp?id=218&tid=39

Once in your body, formaldehyde is rapidly broken down into other chemicals.

Most of these other chemicals quickly leave your body in the urine.

Formaldehyde can also be converted to carbon dioxide and breathed out of the body.

But that doesn't mean that you should drink it.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 10:09 AM, Whisper said:

Dirtshooter, it looks like it was the hospital that had extra people stand in the line for testing.

https://factcheck.thedispatch.com/p/did-cbs-news-stage-a-fake-testing

I believe it was CBS that also staged a fake scene in a hospital to show the extreme number of patients with Covid-19. There weren't enough actual patients, so they had staff lie down on gurneys and covered with sheets. Placed then in the ER staging areas and down the halls to make it look like a gigantic problem.

Years ago, back in the 70's, early 80's, I would get the flu ( sick in bed, couldn't get up or feed my self, flu ). Felt like someone had taken burlap I rubbed my shin raw all over.

After I started taking the flu shot every year, no more flu. I get mine at the VA as soon as it comes available. Hopefully get one Fri. as I have an appt. anyway.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

Well, perhaps just to spite the people I've ever made angry, I am still alive and kicking.  Honestly I decided to "attack" it and just get back to rowing and lifting, hoping it would force my body to snap out of the rut I was in.  It seriously seems to have helped.

did go get the nasal swab test done, for the good of my family, and should get the results back this week.  We also did one of the blood antibody tests that my company has been paneling.  My regular doc suspects that the swab test will be negative since I haven't been running a temperature lately.  But he did concede it's possible that I did have it previously and the antibody test will tell them if I've had exposure to any of the few COVID viruses that would throw a positive.

That's really the rub with the antibody tests, as I understand it.  Several coronaviruses result in the same or incredibly similar antibodies, so it's kind of a highly scientific guess.  Only an active viral payload found via the nasal swab is definitive.

The nasal test was everything I hoped it would be.  I'd say it was right on par with the time I volunteered to be the crash test-dummy for an nasopharyngeal airway demo in a PHTLS First Responder course.  It wasn't painful but it would sure make for an effective alarm clock.

• Like 1
On 9/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, TGO David said:

Well, perhaps just to spite the people I've ever made angry, I am still alive and kicking.  Honestly I decided to "attack" it and just get back to rowing and lifting, hoping it would force my body to snap out of the rut I was in.  It seriously seems to have helped.

did go get the nasal swab test done, for the good of my family, and should get the results back this week.  We also did one of the blood antibody tests that my company has been paneling.  My regular doc suspects that the swab test will be negative since I haven't been running a temperature lately.  But he did concede it's possible that I did have it previously and the antibody test will tell them if I've had exposure to any of the few COVID viruses that would throw a positive.

That's really the rub with the antibody tests, as I understand it.  Several coronaviruses result in the same or incredibly similar antibodies, so it's kind of a highly scientific guess.  Only an active viral payload found via the nasal swab is definitive.

The nasal test was everything I hoped it would be.  I'd say it was right on par with the time I volunteered to be the crash test-dummy for an nasopharyngeal airway demo in a PHTLS First Responder course.  It wasn't painful but it would sure make for an effective alarm clock.

I had some weird illness at the end of January. It was like pneumonia in that I lost my breath easily, and my pulse-ox was low. It lasted for two weeks. I asked my doctor about having an anti-body test, and he said that the test was only 25 to 50 percent accurate and wasn't worth taking it. It would be nice to know if I had it and didn't know it.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 1