Microsoft OneDrive Experts??

DaveTN

I’ll ask this here, because I tried a OneDrive forum, but they told me apparently I don’t know how one drive works. That’s obvious.

I bought a Microsoft 365 subscription because not only did it allow me to put its apps on all my PC’s; I got 1TB of cloud storage for each of the 5 users.

All I want to do is use it like a hard drive. I want to copy files/folders to it that I might want to transfer to another PC (same account).

I don’t want to use it as a backup; I use Acronis for that. I don’t want it to sync or automatically make changes on any PC. I don’t want it to copy the files/folders that I copy to the cloud to my PC in the user\OneDrive folder. That’s a waste of space.

I use DropBox on a work account, and it will do what I want. But it cost almost as much as Microsoft 365, so that’s not an answer.

Is what I’m asking it to do (simply be a storage area) unreasonable?

Once you are logged into OneDrive, it will show up in Windows File Explorer.  You can copy files to it at as you please.  It basically is a storage area.  Whatever you put in your OneDrive folder is synched with your OneDrive folder in the cloud so it is available to other devices.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
On 8/30/2020 at 12:46 PM, Garufa said:

Once you are logged into OneDrive, it will show up in Windows File Explorer.  You can copy files to it at as you please.  It basically is a storage area.  Whatever you put in your OneDrive folder is synched with your OneDrive folder in the cloud so it is available to other devices.

Additonally, you don't have to install OneDrive on your computer to be able to upload to it.  For example, on my personal machine at home I do not have OneDrive installed.  But I can open a browser and go to office.com and sign into Office365 and open the OneDrive web app from there.  I can then upload files directly via the web the same as Google Drive, DropBox, etc.

• Like 1