Show and Tell - New Reloading Bench

I’ve been talking about different aspects of reloading, presses, benches in other threads so I figured I’d start a new thread to show the product of those discussions. 

This one is 2’ deep by 3.5’ wide. I’d have preferred 4’ but space is limited and I feel like this gives me plenty of working space without being too large. Top is 3/4” MDF doubled to 1.5” thickness. Coated with about 7 coats of poly. I haven’t decided on what I’m going to do with the bottom “flooring” yet. More than likely just painted plywood. I just have to make it to the store. 

I built this mostly out of a recycled larger bench in the shop that stayed cluttered with junk. I had to buy a 4x4 for the legs and 2x10 for the shelves. 

It seems to be plenty heavy and I can’t move it with the rock chucker. I may eventually add smaller shelves within the top for die storage but for now I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. 

Once I get my Forster Co-Ax I’ll probably get an in-line mount so I can swap back and forth between them if needed. 

B8DC6CFA-20E6-400E-B822-D24F52D87352.jpeg

01B2776E-CFA7-445F-8746-2222FDACD75F.jpeg

0B12D31F-88F6-430B-A51B-05A63317F582.jpeg

48BC978C-5C42-4489-AFD5-FD7E78552BDF.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I happened to notice you are reloading in the baby's room?? Going to start junior early huh?? Yea I am like Greg, this is way too clean. If I go to reload, first thing is to clean off all the clutter, then get out the dies I want to use.

I’m sure it will clutter up over time haha. That’s actually my office / man cave but we are storing the crib there. We are planning on another in the next year or so and didn’t want to put it in the attic. 
I’ll have them cranking handles soon enough though. 

2 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

I had to make a comment before someone else did. I don't know your scale setup, but I finally put my 10-10 scale at eye level as I was getting a crick in my neck leaning down a bit to look at scale pointer. That helped me a lot for doing my hunting ammo.

I’m actually going to get a new scale as well. I’ve been using a small Hornady digital scale but am considering a nicer beam scale or at least a nicer digital scale. 
I’m pretty much only lacking that and a nicer powder measure. I’m still researching those. 
I put my trimmer on a leftover piece of 2x10 so I could easily dump brass shavings. 

5 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

I’m actually going to get a new scale as well. I’ve been using a small Hornady digital scale but am considering a nicer beam scale or at least a nicer digital scale. 
I’m pretty much only lacking that and a nicer powder measure. I’m still researching those. 
I put my trimmer on a leftover piece of 2x10 so I could easily dump brass shavings. 

I love my Dillon Eliminator beam scale. Triple poise and accurate with all my check weights I've used. 

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs-yImMXI6wIVCHiGCh2IMQtLEAQYAyABEgJBrfD_BwE

As for a powder measure, I use a Hornady in their stand, either mounted to the bench or in my case mounted to an inline quick mount. My experience with this measure with ball powder is accuracy within .1 grains. Varget is the only stick/extruded powder ive put through it and its accurate to within .2 grains with that. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101273579

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012732250?pid=190804

You can get a micrometer insert for the rotor to have repeatable results with different calibers. Just jot down the number in your reloading book for the grain weight. 

LC

2 minutes ago, Loudcherokee said:

I love my Dillon Eliminator beam scale. Triple poise and accurate with all my check weights I've used. 

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs-yImMXI6wIVCHiGCh2IMQtLEAQYAyABEgJBrfD_BwE

As for a powder measure, I use a Hornady in their stand, either mounted to the bench or in my case mounted to an inline quick mount. My experience with this measure with ball powder is accuracy within .1 grains. Varget is the only stick/extruded powder ive put through it and its accurate to within .2 grains with that. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101273579

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012732250?pid=190804

You can get a micrometer insert for the rotor to have repeatable results with different calibers. Just jot down the number in your reloading book for the grain weight. 

LC

I had that one or the Uniflow in my sights. I just have to wait on everything to come back in stock haha. I may wait until my RCBS rebate comes in and then splurge on everything. I’ve spent enough as is. 

37 minutes ago, maroonandwhite said:

I had that one or the Uniflow in my sights. I just have to wait on everything to come back in stock haha. I may wait until my RCBS rebate comes in and then splurge on everything. I’ve spent enough as is. 

I've got a buddy that uses an older style uniflow and swears by it. Very accurate and repeatable. I think just about any of the rotor design measures will have similar results. 

LC

I have a Uniflow not sure how old is older style. I have had mine since Bill & Al were in office. But I like mine,once you get it adjusted right it will do fine for plinking up to pretty good hunting ammo. I use a trickler for my hunting ammo, mainly because I don't shoot that much of it.