Heart broken!!

bersaguy

Good lookin' dog, sorry to hear of her passing. I have a mess of great dogs, buried all over the place, Maryland (when it wasn't as screwed up a place to live), my boyhood dog, I just saw her in Sevierville, at the foot of the tree at the end of our old drive way, one in Italy, in Mediterranean rock, two here in Virginia, and yes, two more on our book case now.  Oh, and one puppy in South Carolina.

I'm down to one, though he's as hyper as two. Worst dog I've ever had actually, but even still, a great pal, and a fierce friend. He's young, he'll figure it out...

I Wish.jpg

Well, I have began a quest to find my next furry companion and have contacted 3 different rescue centers about dogs I have seen on their web site. I have not made any commitment but I am learning that all the rescue centers I have spoke with have made it possible to adopt a human child easier than it is to adopt a dog. The place were I adopted Darby changed hands in 2019 and they have changed the entire format from what it was back then. I don't plan on giving up till I have a new friend in my home. 

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

... I don't plan on giving up till I have a new friend in my home. 

Some deserving dog's heart, somewhere, leapt with joy as you typed that...

Well, my quest for my next furry Companion is not moving forth very well. I have learned a few things that I am very disappointed to learn. Many of the Rescue centers have doubled or tripled their adoption fees since so many people have began rescuing dogs while they are stuck working at home. Most of the middle size and smaller size dogs are gone to homes which I am thrilled to know they have homes. I also know that many of these adoptions will end when people begin going back to work and that is not fair to the dog. I figure that as people begin to go back to work dogs will be coming back to many of the Rescues and I will have a chance to find my new friend then. I am very disappointed in the rescue center I got Darby from. I learned that is was sold in 2019 and they quit adopting out dogs. They have hooked up with a Dog Rescue adoption center. One takes all the dogs in and does all the vet work getting them ready to adopt and then as the other one that adopts them out gets them from the intake shelter the adoption fee is $350.00 for a rescue dog that was free to the intake center.

I do realize that the vet work cost and the food they are fed costs money but the centers that have $75.00 fees also have those same expenses!!

I have found some centers that still have the $75.00 fees but they don't have anything except big dogs. I will just bide my time and when the right best friend is returned to a center I'm sure we will get put together.

38 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well, my quest for my next furry Companion is not moving forth very well. I have learned a few things that I am very disappointed to learn. Many of the Rescue centers have doubled or tripled their adoption fees since so many people have began rescuing dogs while they are stuck working at home. Most of the middle size and smaller size dogs are gone to homes which I am thrilled to know they have homes. I also know that many of these adoptions will end when people begin going back to work and that is not fair to the dog. I figure that as people begin to go back to work dogs will be coming back to many of the Rescues and I will have a chance to find my new friend then. I am very disappointed in the rescue center I got Darby from. I learned that is was sold in 2019 and they quit adopting out dogs. They have hooked up with a Dog Rescue adoption center. One takes all the dogs in and does all the vet work getting them ready to adopt and then as the other one that adopts them out gets them from the intake shelter the adoption fee is $350.00 for a rescue dog that was free to the intake center.

I do realize that the vet work cost and the food they are fed costs money but the centers that have $75.00 fees also have those same expenses!!

I have found some centers that still have the $75.00 fees but they don't have anything except big dogs. I will just bide my time and when the right best friend is returned to a center I'm sure we will get put together.

Wow.  $350 is a lot of money!

• Like 1

The following opinion is expressed at the risk of stepping on tender toes, what the heck, I've always excelled at taking risks.  Through my personal experience with both child and animal "adoption / rescue" services I have found that many if not most (not all) have become more interested in the money than benefit to person or animal.  They speak the warm fuzzy obligatory feel good verbiage to support their money mission.  The complexities and available money is a big reason, not the only one, why the foster/rescue systems are over run with children and animals simply needing a loving home.  I know several people who have contacted area senior centers and put the word out that they have a home to offer the right pet.  They were able to connect with a senior that was having difficulty caring for their pet and wanted to find them a home without contacting shelters or rescue services.  This allowed for sit down discussions as to the personalities/needs of the animals and and gave both parties a level of comfort as to the future for the animal.

Again, personal opinion, not argument bait.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I am so very sorry my friend. I hurt on this news. I'm tearing up even trying to type this. 

i know you loved Darby as much as humanly possible and that she returned that love. As TGO David said, the love of a dog is the closest to God's love we will ever experience until we are in His presence. 

Darby and Kasey are playing together now and just waiting for you to come home to them.

Ok, full fledged cry now. I'm a softee with our companions.  Later, Doug.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Defender said:

Wow.  $350 is a lot of money!

Yea, I know and that is why I won't be looking there for my next furry companion. Another issue I have run into is many of the centers really want you to have a fenced yard which I don't have but we live on 6 acres of land in the country and I never had any issues with Darby wandering away. She would go out her door and do business and maybe run around some with the Bassett hound up front a few minutes if he was out and then come back inside. Never left sight of the house.  I never once had to go outside and call her to come home. I had one person tell me that if my dog went out at night alone she might not be able to find her door to come back in!! I thought that was kind of stupid but I didn't say so to the person. When a dog lives inside a house they know how to come back inside.

If and when I adopt another I will leash walk her till I know I can trust her and she knows how to go in and out the Doggie door and then we will walk without the leash and she will learn were she is allowed to go and what her range is before I will let her out without me. I also have people up front to keep an eye on her too. Dogs are just smarter than some people!!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, tacops said:

The following opinion is expressed at the risk of stepping on tender toes, what the heck, I've always excelled at taking risks.  Through my personal experience with both child and animal "adoption / rescue" services I have found that many if not most (not all) have become more interested in the money than benefit to person or animal.  They speak the warm fuzzy obligatory feel good verbiage to support their money mission.  The complexities and available money is a big reason, not the only one, why the foster/rescue systems are over run with children and animals simply needing a loving home.  I know several people who have contacted area senior centers and put the word out that they have a home to offer the right pet.  They were able to connect with a senior that was having difficulty caring for their pet and wanted to find them a home without contacting shelters or rescue services.  This allowed for sit down discussions as to the personalities/needs of the animals and and gave both parties a level of comfort as to the future for the animal.

Again, personal opinion, not argument bait.

Your opinions are always welcome and valued my friend. I have heard of that being done a few times in the past and what happened in several of the arrangements is family always wants to get involved and many times they mess it up and end up driving the person off that is offering to adopt the pet. I'm not going to get involved with family. If they really cared about the loved one they would be willing to take care of the animal for the relative. That is why when my family told me to get another companion after Darby was put down I said only if you are willing to care for her if anything should happen to me and I got commitments from them before I said I would consider it. I had done that before I got Darby and I had friends and family willing to care for her. About a week after getting Darby I suffered a heart attack and was in the hospital and rehab for 17 days and a friend of mine(Tommy's father) took great care of her and even brought her to the hospital to visit me and my rehab nurse would take me down to the parking lot to visit with her. She didn't really have much choice cause when I asked her the first time she said she would check with the doctor and I told her she could take me or I would go without her but I was going. She went and got a wheel chair to take me down with........lol

• Like 2
7 hours ago, bersaguy said:

Doug, have you checked Smith County Humane? Their web site didn't give prices, but I saw a site that said "Adoption fees vary slightly, but are usually $50-75 per pet."

https://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/72487-smith-county-humane-society-buffalo-valley-smith-county-tennessee

http://www.smithcountytnhumane.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TWr7xnbld8dCMxMzfgbVyjZTrAxC8iqG1U5TKnzShHUcnKmLc3-pa2ww

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Doug, have you checked Smith County Humane? Their web site didn't give prices, but I saw a site that said "Adoption fees vary slightly, but are usually $50-75 per pet."

https://www.adoptapet.com/adoption_rescue/72487-smith-county-humane-society-buffalo-valley-smith-county-tennessee

http://www.smithcountytnhumane.com/?fbclid=IwAR0TWr7xnbld8dCMxMzfgbVyjZTrAxC8iqG1U5TKnzShHUcnKmLc3-pa2ww

Hi Dave and thank you for the links and yes I have checked into both facilities. The top one is closed as the owner passed away and they are sending everyone to Smith County Humane site. I have glanced through that one but going to try it again. I have not been able to get the dog picture section open yet but will keep trying. I have friends and family with their ears to the ground to see if they can hear of anyone that might have a female mutt about Darby's size and not to old.

I did have one facility that had a dog they were hoping I would adopt and I really gave it some serious thought. The things that I had to think of was the dog was already 8 years old and had a thyroid  issue and will have to be on medicine for the rest of her life. The medicine was affordable but I finally decided against her because I can't deal with possibly becoming attached to a dog that already has underlying issues and most likely a ticking timebomb. They listed that her problem was not life threatening as long as she got her medication but I went and researched what other things it could cause and what they didn't post in her description was the 9 other side effects that could likely result from her problem.  Again thank you for the links as never know when someone will send me the link of my new companion!!

• Like 1

What kind/size dog are you partial to?

I know sometimes that’s hard to pin down. After I had to put my Doberman, Harley, down and I decided it was time to have family member, I wanted something smaller that would be easier to take on trips. However….I ended up with another Doberman; Max. Luckily, my BIL lives here and “Uncle Ronnie” comes and stays at my house with Max while I’m gone. That may be why Max is a terrorist; but I’m not absolutely sure on that. :)

I wouldn’t rule out checking with breeders either. Sometimes they have pups that aren’t perfect and they let them go to good homes.

I suspect you will find a new companion soon. :up:

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

What kind/size dog are you partial to?

I know sometimes that’s hard to pin down. After I had to put my Doberman, Harley, down and I decided it was time to have family member, I wanted something smaller that would be easier to take on trips. However….I ended up with another Doberman; Max. Luckily, my BIL lives here and “Uncle Ronnie” comes and stays at my house with Max while I’m gone. That may be why Max is a terrorist; but I’m not absolutely sure on that. :)

I wouldn’t rule out checking with breeders either. Sometimes they have pups that aren’t perfect and they let them go to good homes.

I suspect you will find a new companion soon. :up:

Hi Dave, 

I prefer a female mutt about the size of Darby and Kasey. Anything bigger or to small can't use the doggie door! I'm not a pure bred person. My daughter has Bassett Hounds and she offered to buy me a Bassett Hound puppy as she is planning on getting one more from her breeder and said she would just get 2 but I declined her offer. I'm not into puppies at my age. If I was 50 maybe but at 72 and underlying issues a puppy is the last thing I need.  This is the right size for me and something between 2 and 6 years. Thanks for helping as it is always appreciated.

DSCF2436.JPG

DSCF2437.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Doug, 

I am really sorry to hear this, each one hits differently. We found out that the beginning of covid that our oldest dog, Gibbs has a rare brain tumor. So we're slowly prepared for the changes to come. However, given how many we have, we won't be adding after we say goodbye to Gibbs.

Are you only looking at specific rescue? I know if you are willing to drive a bit further, you might be able to expand your availability. ARC has a rescue base in Lebanon and they just brought up over 30+ dogs from Louisiana. I know Nashville Human has taken around 10 from them already. Also, if you're willing to drive a bit further, Smith County, White County, Warren County and Crossville all have shelters that are usually pretty full and the adoption fee includes all necessary vetting (vaccines and spay/neuter if needed). I'll be happy to help you look if you need it.

Also, I know you said 2-6 years old, but have you thought about senior dogs at all? I have fostered some pretty amazing ones. You'd be surprised to at the energy they ooze once they are happy and safe in a loving home. Just a little food for thought. Let me know if I can be of help. 

1 hour ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

Doug, 

I am really sorry to hear this, each one hits differently. We found out that the beginning of covid that our oldest dog, Gibbs has a rare brain tumor. So we're slowly prepared for the changes to come. However, given how many we have, we won't be adding after we say goodbye to Gibbs.

Are you only looking at specific rescue? I know if you are willing to drive a bit further, you might be able to expand your availability. ARC has a rescue base in Lebanon and they just brought up over 30+ dogs from Louisiana. I know Nashville Human has taken around 10 from them already. Also, if you're willing to drive a bit further, Smith County, White County, Warren County and Crossville all have shelters that are usually pretty full and the adoption fee includes all necessary vetting (vaccines and spay/neuter if needed). I'll be happy to help you look if you need it.

Also, I know you said 2-6 years old, but have you thought about senior dogs at all? I have fostered some pretty amazing ones. You'd be surprised to at the energy they ooze once they are happy and safe in a loving home. Just a little food for thought. Let me know if I can be of help. 

Thank you very much for all the ideas as I have put my quest on hold as my health has gotten out of control the past few weeks or so and now working on getting my body back in line. My meds have evidently quit working like they have been for last 10 years and I have lost control of my sugar levels and also my BP and need to get in and see my doctors and see what is going on. If my BP does not begin coming back in line I will be going to ER since my doctors can't fit me in till early October. I will try and keep you updated.

Very sorry to hear about Gibbs!!!

• Like 1

Buddy, please take care of yourself. We old geezers are a needed resource around here.

Just got a stomach punch myself this last week. Not quite ready to talk about it yet. Might send you a message. Then again I might not. Not life threatening, but will be a possible life altering situation.