New Rifle

Tedro2022

Ok, so here’s the deal. I want to build, or acquire a new rifle. I have the following calibers already in the safe:

.300 blackout 

.300 win mag 

I’m ok with building a rifle, or buying one straight out. Not torn at all between an AR15/AR10 platform or bolt gun. Just looking to add something to the collection. 
I like to hunt (a little) and target shoot (a little). So my question for the forum is this, what should I get? 
I know that’s a broad spectrum question, but I’m welcoming all answers/ideas. 

Thanks in advance, 
Tedro C. 

If looking to stay with what you already have, I'm quite fond of the .308. Its an excellent "do it all" caliber. 

If you're in the market for something new, what do you intend to do with it? 

BTW: everybody needs a good .22LR  rifle. I don't see that on your list. ;)

• Like 5

I’ve been doing some reading about 6.5 Creedmoor. That’s sort of what got me itching, honestly. @Chucktshoes do you have one? Do you prefer it in a bolt action or on an AR platform? 
@Greyfox54, I’ve got a .22 in the safe as well, but I may pick up a Ruger 10/22. Can’t ever have enough of those! 

• Moderators

I’ve got one 6.5CM bolt gun (Bergara B-14 HMR) and I adore it. I’ve shot a 6.5CM AR before and it was really nice as well. The cartridge performs in either platform so I think that’s a matter of personal preference. If you have the builder’s itch, go AR. If you decide on a bolt gun, take a look at the Bergara, it’s a magnificent rifle and I think you’ll love it every bit as much as me and all my friends that have them. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Tedro2022 said:

I’ve been doing some reading about 6.5 Creedmoor.

Based on the small amount of reading I've done, if I didn't have a .308 and wanted to shoot 300+ routinely, I would consider it, especially since this is no longer considered a boutique round.

You don't mention a 9mm, with an AR style, you can build or buy and fully customize.

Edited by A.J. Holst
On 9/5/2020 at 10:27 AM, Chucktshoes said:

I’ve got one 6.5CM bolt gun (Bergara B-14 HMR) and I adore it. I’ve shot a 6.5CM AR before and it was really nice as well. The cartridge performs in either platform so I think that’s a matter of personal preference. If you have the builder’s itch, go AR. If you decide on a bolt gun, take a look at the Bergara, it’s a magnificent rifle and I think you’ll love it every bit as much as me and all my friends that have them. 

I’ll look into the Bergara, thanks for the insight. I don’t have a preference on either AR or bolt, but now that I type that out I may prefer a bolt gun. 

On 9/5/2020 at 3:13 PM, A.J. Holst said:

Based on the small amount of reading I've done, if I didn't have a .308 and wanted to shoot 300+ routinely, I would consider it, especially since this is no longer considered a boutique round.

You don't mention a 9mm, with an AR style, you can build or buy and fully customize.

I didn’t mention 9mm because I’m not that fond of it (hiding behind my keyboard). I shoot .40 cal in my pistols and am not looking to add any additional pistols cartridges to the collection right now. 
I have a Remington .700 Police model that’s chambered in .308, and I like it A LOT. Just really brutal on my shoulder after about 50 rounds. 

You don't have a lever gun....

You don't have a .30-06 & quite frankly, not having either is just damned un-American! Wha's wrong witchoo boy?!

🤣🤣🤣

But for srslys... something in a 6.5 would fill the gap between your .308 & WM quite nicely. As much as I detest the 6.5 manbun, it's the logical choice. Personally i'd do either a 6.5swede on a modern action, or a 6.5 PRC if you're feeling froggy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

You don't have a .30-06 & quite frankly, not having either is just damned un-American! Wha's wrong witchoo boy?!

🤣🤣🤣

But for srslys... something in a 6.5 would fill the gap between your .308 & WM quite nicely. As much as I detest the 6.5 manbun, it's the logical choice. Personally i'd do either a 6.5swede on a modern action, or a 6.5 PRC if you're feeling froggy.

Good thing you’re handsome, Rob!

Kidding, but thanks for the confirmation of 6.5, I’m reading more and more on the different variations and trying to decide which one I’d make the best use of. 

And for the record, I can’t grow a manbun (cause it’s starting to thin out up there, and I hate hair, period) but I wouldn’t grow one even if I could! 

I’ll also agree that a lever gun is on the list, right now I just have itch for something else. And 30-06 is on the list too, just not right at the top of it. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Tedro2022 said:

Good thing you’re handsome, Rob!

Kidding, but thanks for the confirmation of 6.5, I’m reading more and more on the different variations and trying to decide which one I’d make the best use of. 

And for the record, I can’t grow a manbun (cause it’s starting to thin out up there, and I hate hair, period) but I wouldn’t grow one even if I could! 

I’ll also agree that a lever gun is on the list, right now I just have itch for something else. And 30-06 is on the list too, just not right at the top of it. 

To be honest, if you're an occasional hunter, occasional shooter & feel like one day you might like to maybe fool around at diddling some longer range gongs, the 6.5 creedmore (manbun) is the perfect choice. Factory ammo is cheap, plentiful & all of it is astonishingly good. Lots of bullet weights are available. It's low recoil, lots of rifle/component availability, inherently accurate. I mean, there's really nothing to not love about it (i still don't though......)

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Handsome Rob said:

To be honest, if you're an occasional hunter, occasional shooter & feel like one day you might like to maybe fool around at diddling some longer range gongs, the 6.5 creedmore (manbun) is the perfect choice. Factory ammo is cheap, plentiful & all of it is astonishingly good. Lots of bullet weights are available. It's low recoil, lots of rifle/component availability, inherently accurate. I mean, there's really nothing to not love about it (i still don't though......)

I’ve pushed my .308 out to 600 yds before and that was a lot of fun. Need to put a different base and rings on it if I’m ever going to get it to go much further, I was having to hold over about 6 ft. Above my target because I ran out of elevation adjustment. But that’s a whole other story! 

2 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

Stubborn... 😂😉😂

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 9:37 AM, Handsome Rob said:

🤣🤣🤣

I got 5 .30-06 rifles. As far as 6.5/.264 caliber rifles goes, the 6.5x55 Swede is great. So is the .260 Rem. Even though it seems most people these days don't think so.