Never Thought I'd Do it!

I posted awhile back where someone tried to break into our home when we were in bed. From my little research and reading local arrest reports, it appears our county is loaded with crack heads and drug addicts. Knowing they don't hold down jobs to support their drug addictions, they obtain their money by committing crimes I'm going to guess. What if, whom ever was prying my dead bolt and door lock open made entry into my dwelling and there was some loud bangs?

Apparently this little city I live in is not exempt from the kook's and protester's as of last Saturday. I'm going to be doing a little traveling out of state shortly. I got to thinking; what if, what if I had no other choice and had to pull out my firearm to protect myself and family? What city, county or state would I be in if that ever occurred? 

People defending themselves are being charged left and right from everything from brandishing to murder; even when it's clear cut and they are following the law.

As far as a legal defense, God forbid, if I ever had to un-holster my pistol for any legitimate reasonable reason and got charged, I don't have a pot to pee in to cover legal lawyer fees. 

So based on the existing and increasing risk of being at the wrong place at the wrong time, or even at home; I took out that expensive CCW insurance from an unnamed provider.

Anyone else changed their tune?

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I went back and forth on it for a while. After the events of the last couple months, and the fact that I travel all 48 CONUS states, I decided that it would be a wise idea to get some carry insurance. Ultimately I decided to go with USCCA. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I went back and forth on it for a while. After the events of the last couple months, and the fact that I travel all 48 CONUS states, I decided that it would be a wise idea to get some carry insurance. Ultimately I decided to go with USCCA. 

How much does that cost if you don't mind sharing.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I did my research and narrowed it down to two that met my needs. I don't want to name names because of TGO sponsors. But both seemed pretty equal, but one having an actual client and experience. All things being about equal, I decided to go with the one who has a member dashboard; with training videos, articles, pick your own lawyer and sends a nice little survival package. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators
5 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

How much does that cost if you don't mind sharing.

They have several different levels of coverage. I went with the premium option as the odds are if I have to make use of the service, it will be in a state other than TN. Some of those states could end up being very, very expensive as they are non-permissive environments. I also purchased coverage for my wife at a very discounted rate by bundling it with mine. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I did my research and narrowed it down to two that met my needs. I don't want to name names because of TGO sponsors. But both seemed pretty equal, but one having an actual client and experience. All things being about equal, I decided to go with the one who has a member dashboard; with training videos, articles, pick your own lawyer and sends a nice little survival package. 

Go ahead.  US Law Shield isn't touchy about that.  They realize that there are criteria that send people one way or the other between companies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

I have thought about getting CC insurance, but really don'r know much about it. Please, name names and give recommendations. I think many of us would be glad to see some open discussion on this topic. 

This might turn out to be a bit lengthy but, this is the detailed process I used to select a provider. One of the things I had to keep in mind was; to compare apples with apples, because most of these companies have different levels of coverage for different things. I also had to keep in mind the likely civil aftermath and lawsuit of a self defense encounter.

As far as recommendations, I really can't give any. The several I checked out seemed to be reputable and have good published programs. I watch a lot of Youtube gun videos and a number of the channels refer you to or recommend a certain CCW insurance. Some of them don't give full disclosure about if they are sponsored or supported by that company or if they have that insurance free, as part of their sponsorship. So I gave that little weight.

For me, one of the biggest criteria was their performance, court defense record, satisfaction and timeliness of services rendered and provided. Problem is [a good thing]; as far as I could find out, only 'one' of these CCW insurance companies had a client [test case] and went through the entire process and were successful in getting their client vindicated. Perhaps someone will correct me if my research and thoughts are inaccurate.

How I narrowed the field down: Naturally price was a first and major consideration. I found that between all the CCW insurance providers, there wasn't a huge disparity in pricing. So far I haven't eliminated anyone off my list. Then I mentally put myself in the position of; oh no, I just found myself in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had no other choice than to pull out my weapon to protect my wife and I. What city, county or state was I at when this occurred, is it a red or blue culture?

In my made up scenario in a worst case event and I was charged with a felony crime; now what's important to me? What do I need to immediately do? How difficult is it going to be from behind bars to do what needs to be done? Who do I call first, I hadn't planned ahead for this unlikely event and have no lawyer. I don't even have the 10% readily available cash for the $250,000.00 bail levied against me.

Of critical importance for my personal finances and situation would be; to have "one number" to call to get my defense rapidly going and get bailed out of jail ASAP. I hear jail food is not so good, and Bubba wants a new girlfriend?

It's critical to me for the CCW insurance company to pay as much or all costs for bail, attorney retainer, etc. upfront. Some of these companies will reimburse you after the fact with exemptions and provisions. I can't stress enough for my personal situation, how important it is to have all costs associated with arrest and being charged paid up front.

But anyway, I eventually narrowed it down to CCW Safe and USCCA as best meeting my needs, should I ever be unfortunate enough to need them. Down to two, now I'm making some progress, now what criteria do I use to select one? All things being relatively equal now with pricing, coverage and upfront cost of my defense and bail covered; I looked at the perks offered . By far USCCA offers its members a lot of video training and related written articles [of course it doesn't replace the real thing] and a wealth of information on their website. So that was the deciding factor. I selected the Platinum level membership for a year for $347.00 plus tax. I believe they offer monthly plans also. 

As I mentioned in another post; I never felt the need for this type of insurance because of the odds of ever needing it. I don't go to stupid places, at stupid times, with stupid people. Crime, victims and the odds of becoming a victim have exponentially increased; due to the lawlessness outbreak everywhere, even in small town USA. Governor's, Mayor's, politicians and prosecutor's [with a political agenda] siding with and supporting the organized and financed criminals and rioters; releasing them from jail and not prosecuting crimes. These groups are financed by the likes of Hollywood, George Soros, the elites, liberals, news media and anti-Americans. 

In addition to the "regular" crime by the mentally ill, drug addicts, gang-bangers, cartels, illegal aliens and common criminals; we now have another layer of criminality to contend with. In my opinion, the 'odds' of becoming a victim has dramatically increased.

Disclaimer: Years ago I was a member of USCCA when they were introducing their insurance and many of us were not happy with their changes and President and founder Tim Schmidt and his vision for his company. I've since changed my mind and attitude.

If you got this far, you're a better person than me; I fell asleep writing this half way through...

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1