Opinion on Kahr's MK9?

zeitgeist

I'm looking at purchasing a gun for self-defense and concealed carry (or hell, even open-carry but I would probably have the police harass me for that here in Franklin).

I've been reading on many different handguns and the Kahr MK9 interests me, I was wondering if any Tennessean here has heard of this handgun and has experience with it?

My friends have told me that I may want something in a larger caliber, such as a Glock 23 - 40 caliber but I really just want a weapon for self-defense/concealed carry.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at purchasing a gun for self-defense and concealed carry (or hell, even open-carry but I would probably have the police harass me for that here in Franklin).

I've been reading on many different handguns and the Kahr MK9 interests me, I was wondering if any Tennessean here has heard of this handgun and has experience with it?

My friends have told me that I may want something in a larger caliber, such as a Glock 23 - 40 caliber but I really just want a weapon for self-defense/concealed carry.

Well, it's a heckuva little piece, identical to PM9 except for steel frame (I have PM9).

The only question is whether you can abide the extra weight. If carrying in a pocket, most folks say no.

I won't get into caliber wars. 9mm is my caliber of choice, have 4 weapons that shoot it.

- OS

Guest justinbelcher13

I also have a PM9, and would reccomend it over the mk9. There is a huge weight difference. I barely notice my pm9, and an mk9 is like carrying a brick around in your pocket.

I agree the mk9 is like carrying a brick around in your pocket. Go to your local gun store and look at them all. Find one the fits your hand. Please be careful were you buy it at. Franklin is not known for good deals on guns. Look at Hero Gear or Guns and Leather. These both are excellent shops. Price shop before you buy. Put an ad out on here for what you wont and I am sure someone will have it or find one for you.

To be fair, zeitgeist didn't mention pocket carry specifically, but I can't see the high price tag on Kahr of that size unless one COULD pocket carry, is main reason I mentioned it. Certainly, option of pocket carry was only reason I bought my PM9.

- OS

Please be careful were you buy it at. Franklin is not known for good deals on guns. Look at Hero Gear or Guns and Leather. These both are excellent shops.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to the range with a few friends this week.

I'll keep in mind not to purchase in Franklin, and probably Williamson. Rural Tennessee would probably be a better bet..

I compared the MK9 and K9 (basically its big brother), and eventually went with the K9. The MK9 is a tad too hefty for pocket carry (The PM9 is a great weight, but Kahr has a better rep regarding their all metal offerings). For IWB or belt carry, I'd highly suggest considering the K9 (a bit easier to shoot well-longer sight radius, and an increase in capacity). It is still not a light gun, but it disappears in an MTAC.

**I don't know if Kahr has made strides in the reliability of their polymer line. Maybe they have. If so, definitely worth considering.

Edited by mdlave
New info

**I don't know if Kahr has made strides in the reliability of their polymer line. Maybe they have. If so, definitely worth considering.

I think it's safe to say that Kahrs, taken as a whole, have more probs than many other mainstream pistols. There aren't many all metal ones still in their line, so obviously most of those problems will be within the tupperware part of their offerings.

The PM series probably accounts for the majority of glitches, just because these little guns are engineered pretty much at the limits of size/weight vs. firepower. And they DO need to stay clean and well lubed for reliability, much more so than say, a Glock or XD.

The only glitches I've had with my PM9 in maybe 600 rounds or so are some FTFs on first round when changing mags. This is due to the fact that the top round in MK/PM series mags can jiggle out of alignment, sit too flat, and nose dive into feed ramp.

- OS

I have owned two of the PM9's. The first was a few years ago when Kahr started making the PM9. I had nothing but trouble out of it (FTF & FTE, also not very accurate) and finally gave up and sold it. About a year or so after I sold the gun I learned that Kahr had made some revisions and supposedly fixed the problems with it. I thought about it for a while and decided to try the gun again because I really liked the way the gun felt and the size/weight was exactly what I was looking for. The PM9 I have now is what you would expect for a $600+ weapon. It is very accurate and has never FTF/ FTE after about 6 to 700 rounds. I would highly recomend one of the newer model PM9's.

The only glitches I've had with my PM9 in maybe 600 rounds or so are some FTFs on first round when changing mags.

This is unfortunate, as the first round is the last round I'd want to have malfunction. I do love the way the Kahrs feel in my hand, a tad thin but hey, I shoot Glocks. The Kahrs just have a nice quality feel to them despite being thin, and light--they don't feel cheap. I have never held a metal one, but I probably wouldn't consider one because weight and size effeciency is very important to me.

The only glitches I've had with my PM9 in maybe 600 rounds or so are some FTFs on first round when changing mags.

- OS

This is unfortunate, as the first round is the last round I'd want to have malfunction......

RoDan, the key is "when changing mags". Surely you'd already have a round chambered while carrying and most likely wouldn't have the neeed to change mags during a fire fight.

RoDan, the key is "when changing mags". Surely you'd already have a round chambered while carrying and most likely wouldn't have the neeed to change mags during a fire fight.

Yeah, and it hasn't happened much.

If you carry your mags in some protected carrier, probably won't happen period. No worries in my normal pocket rig:

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

But the MK series mags (used in PM also) are bad to jostle that top round; they'll even throw them all the way out sometimes if you carry them in pocket sans holder of some sort. There are even reports of them throwing several rounds out at once.

Not sure if this is just the 9mm or applies to .40 and .45 also.

This has only happened to me at range when I've had all my mags pre loaded and just loosely tossed in bag; and I didn't notice that the top round had jiggled down to the "flat" position.

All in all, unless you get the rare squirrely one, PM series of Kahr's are fantastic weapons for the size and weight. Don't think I'll ever get rid of mine, even though I don't carry it all that often these days.

And the metal MK models are equally good, some say even more dependable over the history of the issues, just quite heavy of course.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

That's good to know- my father is looking for a good carry gun, and he is leaning towards a Kahr of some sort most likely. He is not too big of a fan of my Glock 26, nor is he a big fan of anything thick like that (XD, M&P etc). He isn't as much of a shooter as I am, but he enjoys it (I am flexible though, I love Glocks and 1911's etc.). He has been eyeballing a Kahr PM9 I think. We went to the range this past weekend with a buddy of his (Larry Langston from Guns and Ammo) and we shot several of Larry's guns, including a High Power in .40. My dad had mixed feeling about that one. He loved shooting the 1911s the best, which is why I think a Kahr would suite him (being a thin gun). He shot very well with the suppressed 1911. You can barely hear the gun cycle with muffs on, all you can hear is the the round hitting the backstop.

Ihave a mk9 with Crimson trace laser grip and have carried it in my pocket for several years now. It is heavy, but has functioned flawlessly. Maybe the pm9 would be a better pocket gun. I bought mine before the polymer frames came out. :(