Well I did another thing. Shadow Systems MR920 Combat Optics-Ready

Ordered a Shadow Systems MR920 optics-ready Combat model tonight.  I should have it within the next 21 days according to the terms of the sale.  Everyone is so damned backlogged due to the volume of sales lately. 🤪

image.png

This will bring me almost full circle back to a Glock 19 sized gun.  I've got a few G45 models still that I won't part with, so that covers my 17rd Glock platform needs, but I have rediscovered the desire for the G19 size during some recent training.  Oh well... it's not like you can take money with you when you go, and my kids would just spend it on something other than guns.  🙂

Now I need to decide what I am thinning out of the herd.  I've got an idea in mind but I need to take some current photos so I can go ahead and list it on TGO tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

Now I need to decide what I am thinning out of the herd.  I've got an idea in mind but I need to take some current photos so I can go ahead and list it on TGO tomorrow.

image.gif.d35c35472e538384e333fd99da207a83.gif

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Steelharp said:

We have them in stock.

I probably don't want to know, because of the temptation... but what are they running and do they accept Glock mags?

7 minutes ago, Moped said:

I probably don't want to know, because of the temptation... but what are they running and do they accept Glock mags?

Low 8's to mid 9's, and yes, they accept Glock mags.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

Low 8's to mid 9's, and yes, they accept Glock mags.

Whew!!! I feel much better!  Too much for my wallet to handle!!! LOL!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It really sucks when your FFL calls and says that your new gun has arrived, but you are so dead-ass tired from being up all night and working all day that you know you shouldn't even think about driving to get it. 🙄

Tomorrow will be "New Gun Day" for me, I suppose. 

• Sad 1

Man, that is pretty darn sexy. Just not ready to abandon .357 sig. I know I'm the only one in the entire world holding on...

So tempting...

On 9/19/2020 at 4:16 PM, TGO David said:

i-4WJhMqG-X2.jpg

I literally cannot afford to  buy this gun. I do not NEED a new pistol right now. Especially a 9mm pistol. And, due to all mgmt taking a 20% pay cut for 6 months to help save the company AND contracting a very expensive form of cancer in April, I just don't have the money. Heck, right now I don't even have the money to give to David to help defray the cost of the extra bandwidth incurred by my repeatedly coming back to check this picture out...

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Mark A said:

I literally cannot afford to  buy this gun. I do not NEED a new pistol right now. Especially a 9mm pistol. And, due to all mgmt taking a 20% pay cut for 6 months to help save the company AND contracting a very expensive form of cancer in April, I just don't have the money. Heck, right now I don't even have the money to give to David to help defray the cost of the extra bandwidth incurred by my repeatedly coming back to check this picture out...

Kicking cancer's ass is far more important than anything else.  👊

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Mark A said:

Man, that is pretty darn sexy. Just not ready to abandon .357 sig. I know I'm the only one in the entire world holding on...

So tempting...

No, you aren't. 

Edited by E4 No More

Initial Impressions and Range Report

I would estimate that I put 200 or so rounds of 115gr Blazer Brass 9mm through the gun this past Sunday.   Accuracy was exceptional.  With a proper, aggressive "thumbs forward" grip on the gun, recoil seemed very tame and flat, and tracking the red dot between shots was very easy. 

Shadow Systems includes a section in the user manual that specifically states that the guns are machined to high enough tolerances that a break-in period of 100 to 150 rounds is required.  They did not include that casually and it is not a suggestion but rather a requirement for reliable function.   My MR920 absolutely "woke up" and became better with use, as the gun's various moving surfaces wore against each other and smoothed out.

1. image.png

One problem that went away fairly quickly was that the pistol would not chamber the first round out of a magazine, whether filled to capacity or less than, from a slide-lock without some assistance.  A nudge against the endplate with my thumb was all that was required to push the slide into battery.  The issue largely resolved itself at the range within the first 100 rounds, and completely disappeared after I brought the gun back home and thoroughly hosed it out with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner (polymer safe!) and lightly re-lubed the slide rails.

I should note that I did not clean or lube the gun prior to going to the range, but did apply more Lucas Gun Oil midway during the session.  This was intentional.  Having read the manual ahead of time, I knew that a break-in period was required and I wanted any manufacturing grit and grime present to mix with the oil to provide a slurry, almost like jeweler's rouge. 

It worked.

Accuracy

In a word, exceptional.  If I did my part, the gun did it's part.  Toward the end of my range session, I was able to drop ten rounds into the 1-inch center spot of a 5x5 drill target from a distance of seven yards.   Aiming was done with the Trijicon RM07 red dot optic and shots were taken slowly and deliberately for accuracy, not speed.

image.png

What's Next?

I want to do a little more break-in with the gun but will be transitioning this into my primary carry fairly quickly, provided it continues to function reliably.   I have no reason to think it wouldn't.

• Like 4

Congrats! Sounds like you've got a keeper here!

Have to admit to a bit of envy here. Been looking and reading on these. Gets better and better.

On 9/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, Mark A said:

As a cancer survivor, I understand the financial problems. We just finished a few years ago paying off the debts incurred on me. It can be daunting to say the least.

But more importantly, I understand the physical and mental strain it puts upon you and your family. That was the hardest part I believe. For me, I either lived or not. For my wife and family, it was that and the constant worry of what would happen to me and to my wife. I freely admit that my dear wife had more to deal with than I did. She worked, cared for my mother, and dealt with me. The woman is truly a sainted person.

I offer prayers for you, an open ear should you want to talk, and some advice to you.

Pray, and pray some more. Be cheerful and optimistic. It's good for you and your family. Not sure who will benefit more from it, but it is very important to not loose yourself in worry or pity. I almost did on both counts. But I was kicked in the butt on my third chemo treatment. I apologize if you've heard this before...I tell it often to help me and anyone who can open their hearts and see that we are always better off than someone else.

I was doing the "why me, pity thing" when a young man of early 30s was wheeled in to the treatment room. He was just bawling. I wasn't swayed at all.

Then I heard his nurse and his wife talking. The young man had been given a terminal diagnosis...pancreatic and liver cancer, metastasizing to his spine. Told he had only a few months. His tears weren't just for himself. He was telling the nurse he wouldn't get to see his twin girls grow up. Just hoped to see their third birthday.

That hit me like the proverbial freight train. I was totally stunned. I was twice his age. Didn't know what to do or say. I felt so very ashamed of myself. I'd had a life. He wasn't going to. His daughters wouldn't have a dad.

I admit it took me a while, but my attitude changed after that. I was and am the better for that moment. The young man? I never saw him again. Meant to be for me? I think so.

My point is, you are not alone in this. Wife, family, and friends. Friends here as well.

Tell as much or as little as you want. It doesn't matter.

Prayers for you, my friend.

Edited by hipower

Thanks, it sounds like a simple response but so many people have stepped up and helped that I've run out of things to say. I've been blessed to be lifted by so many this year...

The MR920 is an amazing pistol. It's been my daily carry for the last 6 months. To me, it blows the Zev OZ9 compact out of the water. Better trigger, better feel in my hand. (And its $700 less) 

I had some problems with my dot (Holosun507) not staying put. It kept coming up slightly. I texted Richie over at Shadow. (had his cellphone number from a bronze barrel order issue I had a couple months earlier) He immediately called me, sent me a shipping label (I sent my slide back with the holosun) and 5 days after that initial text I had a brand new slide with my Holosun mounted and zeroed. I have never experienced customer service like that from any company at any time, let alone someone in firearms during this whole Covid uproar. 

I would say I have right about 4k rounds through mine (about 1k with the new slide) and this gun is butter smooth. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Cojo87 said:

To me, it blows the Zev OZ9 compact out of the water. Better trigger, better feel in my hand. (And its $700 less) 

It was tempting for me to outright compare it to my Zev OZ9 X-Grip but in the end I resisted.  They are similar but also very different. 

While the Shadow Systems MR918 and MR920 seem to adhere a little closer to the trajectory of the Glock design albeit with a pretty significant re-imagining of the extractor system and the back strap design, the OZ9 takes a different trajectory and melds aspects of the Sig P320 (serialized chassis inside of an inexpensive polymer grip module) to the Glock design.

Zev OZ9

The Zev OZ9 is noticeably heavier and yes more expensive.  The trigger in the OZ9 honestly strikes me as feeling better "out of the box" but that comes via a lightened, skeletonized striker assembly.  I haven't had problems with mine but that is not a part that I have ever chosen or ever would choose to go to the aftermarket for in a duty/carry gun.  I have friends who have swapped their OZ9 striker out for an OEM Glock striker just because they felt like it was one less part that might break under hard use.... albeit with no data to back up their decision.

As for grip, I think the 17-round (G45 sized) grip module on my OZ9 feels slightly more ergonomic.  They molded some clever indentations in the OZ9 grip that accommodate your support hand's thumb heel, which makes it very easy to get a quick and repeatable grip on the gun every time.  It just coaxes your support hand into the right position and feels like it was molded to you.  BUT... you get what Zev gives you.  There is no adjustability in circumference or grip angle with the OZ9.  I suspected that they were going to release different size grip modules like Sig does for the P320, but so far no such luck.  Just Compact and Full-Size.

The combination of the heavy internal chassis that runs the full length of the slide and the ergonomics of the grip module that make the OZ9 feel like it shoots softer and has less muzzle flip.  It feels like a race gun.  But, it's also heavier in the belt which is a consideration for carry purposes.

MR920

The MR920 is noticeably LIGHTER and certainly less spendy.  I think the trigger shoe on the MR feels great but the pull weight "out of the box" feels pretty heavy.  It too doesn't use any Glock OEM parts (as far as I have read or can tell) but the striker assembly is more traditional.  The only thing in the slide that anyone could legitimately be out to jury on is the shortened extractor spring assembly that they use to allow such a deep cut and significantly longer screws for the optic.  I see no problems with what they did and think it's ingenious.

The grip on the MR920 is way better than any factory Glock that I have owned.  I love the texture on it and the neutral back strap is the right size for my hand and causes the gun to point perfectly for me without any additional effort or adjustment of presentation from draw.  That said it is still rather slab-sided and not quite as "hand filling"  as the more curvaceous OZ9 grip and it doesn't have the tactile cues to guide your support hand perfectly into position the way that the Zev does.  You overcome this with the MR the same way that you do a Glock:  Proprioception and a draw/presentation sequence that you practice enough times that it becomes automatic.

Not a big negative for me.  The MR920 still fits my hand just fine and it feels loads better than a stock Glock.

Once you get the gun firmly locked in your grip with proper front-back and side-to-side pressure applied, thumbs forward, etc. recoil management is easy and predictable albeit with perceptibly more impact during the shot and slide reciprocation.  This seems very obviously due to fact that the MR is lighter than the OZ9 and has less mass at the dangerous end of the slide/frame than the OZ9.   That machined metal chassis in the OZ9 really hangs some extra weight out in front of the gun and you notice it during recoil.

Choosing One Or The Other

It's going to boil down to what you want from the gun and what you are willing to pay.  This isn't a matter of a Chevrolet versus a Ferrari.  It's more of a Porsche vs. Ferrari decision.  You don't walk away with a loser of a car... er... gun either way.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, TGO David said:

It was tempting for me to outright compare it to my Zev OZ9 X-Grip but in the end I resisted.  They are similar but also very different. 

While the Shadow Systems MR918 and MR920 seem to adhere a little closer to the trajectory of the Glock design albeit with a pretty significant re-imagining of the extractor system and the back strap design, the OZ9 takes a different trajectory and melds aspects of the Sig P320 (serialized chassis inside of an inexpensive polymer grip module) to the Glock design.

Zev OZ9

The Zev OZ9 is noticeably heavier and yes more expensive.  The trigger in the OZ9 honestly strikes me as feeling better "out of the box" but that comes via a lightened, skeletonized striker assembly.  I haven't had problems with mine but that is not a part that I have ever chosen or ever would choose to go to the aftermarket for in a duty/carry gun.  I have friends who have swapped their OZ9 striker out for an OEM Glock striker just because they felt like it was one less part that might break under hard use.... albeit with no data to back up their decision.

As for grip, I think the 17-round (G45 sized) grip module on my OZ9 feels slightly more ergonomic.  They molded some clever indentations in the OZ9 grip that accommodate your support hand's thumb heel, which makes it very easy to get a quick and repeatable grip on the gun every time.  It just coaxes your support hand into the right position and feels like it was molded to you.

I think it's a combination of the heavy internal chassis that runs the full length of the slide and the ergonomics of the grip module that make the OZ9 feel like it shoots softer and has less muzzle flip.  It feels like a race gun.  But, it's also heavier in the belt for carry purposes.

MR920

The MR920 is noticeably LIGHTER and certainly less spendy.  I think the trigger shoe on the MR feels great but the pull weight "out of the box" feels pretty heavy.  It too doesn't use any Glock OEM parts (as far as I have read or can tell) but the striker assembly is more traditional.  The only thing in the slide that anyone could legitimately be out to jury on is the shortened extractor spring assembly that they use to allow such a deep cut and significantly longer screws for the optic.  I see no problems with what they did and think it's ingenious.

The grip on the MR920 is way better than any factory Glock that I have owned.  I love the texture on it and the neutral back strap is the right size for my hand and causes the gun to point perfectly for me without any additional effort or adjustment of presentation from draw.  That said it is still rather slab-sided and not quite as "hand filling"  as the more curvaceous OZ9 grip and it doesn't have the tactile cues to guide your support hand perfectly into position the way that the Zev does.  You overcome this with the MR the same way that you do a Glock:  Proprioception and a draw/presentation sequence that you practice enough times that it becomes automatic.

Once you get the gun firmly locked in your grip with proper front-back and side-to-side pressure applied, thumbs forward, etc. recoil management is easy and predictable albeit with perceptibly more impact during the shot and slide reciprocation.  This seems very obviously due to fact that the MR is lighter than the OZ9 and has less mass at the dangerous end of the slide/frame than the OZ9.   That machined metal chassis in the OZ9 really hangs some extra weight out in front of the gun and you notice it during recoil.

Choosing One Or The Other

It's going to boil down to what you want from the gun and what you are willing to pay.  This isn't a matter of a Chevrolet versus a Ferrari.  It's more of a Porsche vs. Ferrari decision.  You don't walk away with a loser of a car... er... gun either way.

I did something silly and have the War Poet version with the Holosun 507c on order. This will actually be my first Glock based gun. If I decide to stick with it, it’s going to get a SureFire X300V-B to match up with my NVG kit. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

I did something silly and have the War Poet version with the Holosun 507c on order. This will actually be my first Glock based gun. If I decide to stick with it, it’s going to get a SureFire X300V-B to match up with my NVG kit. 

I blame John Lovell @ Warrior Poet Society for making me take a hard second look at the MR920 recently, which of course lead me to buy one.  🙂

• Like 1