Question about CP status

Hello all, I just have a question that maybe someone can help me understand. My son is wanting to purchase a rifle but was tuned down by the FFL because he states that since were living at the same address and I currently have a conditional proceed recently issued by the TBI he is not allowed to make that purchase until my CP gets changed to approval. Is this correct on the FFL’s part? I thought because he is purchasing the weapon on his own that my CP wouldn’t affect him. I can understand if it was a denial for me. I am awaiting for my decision based on the information I supplied the TBI so I hope it all goes through on a positive note, but I feel bad for my son because he wants this rifle pretty bad and I’m the one preventing him from getting it. Thank you all for your help in trying to understand all this.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, never heard of this.  Maybe due to possible straw purchase issues this rule is in effect?  Was it the same FFL or was it a different one?  Just wondering if the system prevented it or if the FFL used his knowledge of your previous CP to deny his purchase outright.

Thank you for the reply. It was the same FFL. He finished the 4473 on the store computer and when the FFL checked his system that’s when he asked about his knowledge of me at our address. I told the FFL that was me and that’s when he said he couldn’t go through with the purchase because of the CP. You’re probably right about the straw purchase but I thought it would’ve been different with the CP since you’re no longer denied (until it changes again). 

If you have a “conditional proceed” the TBI has made their decision and left it up to the FFL. Unless he is using his discretion to refuse you, and you have submitted more info. Was your son denied? If not, and the FFL stopped the transaction without submitting it; there isn’t anything you can do.

29 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

If you have a “conditional proceed” the TBI has made their decision and left it up to the FFL. Unless he is using his discretion to refuse you, and you have submitted more info. Was your son denied? If not, and the FFL stopped the transaction without submitting it; there isn’t anything you can do.

Yeah, I’m waiting to see if my CP will turn into an approval based on the additional info I submitted. My son was trying to do his own BGC on his own firearm of choice/purchase but when the 4473 was filled out electronically I guess something in the system must’ve mentioned that the address on his ID is the same as mine since we live in the same house so that’s when the FFL said no. Technically speaking my son was neither approved nor denied because I don’t believe the BGC was ever submitted since he didn’t pay the $10 fee for the check. Thanks for your feedback, I guess I’ll just have to patiently wait for a positive outcome before he can try and attempt his purchase again.

1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

Try having him go to a different FFL alone and see how that goes.

I’ll have him try that, thanks.