How Concerned Are You About Mass Civil Unrest Post-Election 2020?

• Administrator

I am placing this in the Survival and Preparedness forum for what I hope are somewhat obvious reasons.  My question to you is, as the subject states, how concerned are you about mass civil unrest after the Presidential election in November?  And I will add that if you are concerned, what are you doing now to address those concerns?

My pessimistic prediction is that the Election will not be resolved on November 3rd.  The push by the Democrats to use COVID-19 as the justification for an unprecedented use of mail-in ballots clearly telegraphs their plan to disrupt the Election.  My personal opinion is that they will use every tool of dishonesty and corruption possible to bias the ballots toward Biden, either by discarding ballots for Trump or by falsifying a large quantity for Biden.  They will attempt to hijack the electoral process and forcibly instate their candidate to bring an end to Making America Great Again.  When this happens, there is a good chance that things will finally come unhinged.

Or, Trump will win despite the Left's efforts to stop him, and the Left will do what it's already been doing this year and riot but on a much larger scale.  Regardless of which occurs, I don't see peace and harmony occurring after November 2nd and I firmly believe that November to January could end up being the most dangerous time that our country has seen since the Civil War and I think people who haven't been planning for unrest by having supplies of food, medicines, sanitary essentials and, yes, ammo will be wishing they had.

I of course hope that I am wrong, but I feel it is better to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

So... what are you doing to prepare?

It would be good to hear from folks who live in urban, suburban and rural areas alike since those environments could present their own unique challenges.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I do believe a situation similar to what you describe will play out.

The old addage of

Hard times create hard men,

Hard men create good times,

Good times create soft men,

Soft men create hard times.

is coming to fruition now. We have had good times for far too long in this cycle.

I am woefully unprepared for this scenario if it manages to migrate itself into rural areas.

I live out in the country but commute to LaVergne for work. Even if Nashville turned into the lawlessness that is Portland/Seattle, I don’t worry at home. It’s when I get closer to the population centers near my work, I become concerned. 

Everything is dependent on what happens in November. If anything but a clear win for Trump happens, I believe it will be like nothing we have ever seen before. Remember the issues at the Bush/Gore election from Florida ballots, it won’t blow over like that.

I have food and water and the ability to keep it available via a garden, hunting, fishing. Shelter and security is also accounted for.

I would like more guns and ammo (obviously) especially more combat oriented guns and gear. Just in case.

Although I do carry whenever possible, inside Coffee County, I honestly don’t ever feel like I need it. Rutherford County is a whole ‘nother story, too many people in too small a space.

Unfortunately, I’m not in a financial position to go out and buy a bunch of emergency supplies or combat arms. But I have ways to keep carrying on my day to day, so long as it doesn’t get to the point I need an AR just to safely go to the grocery store.

• Like 2

Like you, I don’t expect the election to be decided right away. But I expect it to be decided shortly after January 3rd when the new congress is seated. I don’t see any way it can’t be.

I also expect the mail in voting to be corrupt. But I suspect if that is proven it would also just send it to the Congress.

I never thought we would be where we are now in my lifetime. I’m as prepared as I can be to protect my family and property. But not prepared for a lack of food. I doubt though the violence would last that long. Mother Nature could cause me to leave my property; but I’ll not leave due to civil unrest.

Financially I’m Okay, but if Biden is elected and the economy takes a big hit, which I'm sure would happen; that could change.

But to answer your question about being concerned. I’m very concerned that law enforcement is failing to act. And I blame them for that. And I never thought I would see that either.  

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 3

I don't get myself worked up about this, because no matter who wins, they will let the dogs loose upon the rioters that continue their mess. The left knows they are nor immune to these ANTIFA/BLM rioters, and the ones in power will be the target.  But, I am well stocked up with the required equipment for even the worst case scenario, and better yet, I'm willing to use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I’ve been talking about this with family friends and coworkers more lately in hopes they will better prepare. If Biden somehow wins I see it being a bit more of a slow burn on the fuse, maybe 2 years until enough see what direction things go and then civil war. If Trump wins I see it being almost instantaneous, with the far left reacting in widespread violent hysterics. Basically what we are already seeing in major cities but on steroids. I do think that Trump will feel a bit more emboldened to step in and handle it, which I am fine with if the local authorities won’t keep their people safe.

Im not doing anything different. I think most of us on this forum have been ready for this for years. I would prefer this kickoff now while I’m still somewhat able to physically do something about it. I absolutely hate to think about the state of the country our children will be inheriting.

• Like 9

I may be naive in believing the unrest will never make it to my neck of the woods but I've prepared like it's right at my back door. Hopefully that will be good enough. And for whatever its worth I am in a TRUMP area so the likely hood of me having to defend against my next door neighbor is low. I won't go into details as I'm sure a lot of it is standard protocol and its sure to fire up a good ol pissin contest but I'm hopeful no TGO member has to engage in gunfire with any protestors because of some butthurtedness election fallout.

• Like 2

I live in a rural area; however I work in Murfreesboro and that concerns me the most.  All my family has a commute that could take us to problem areas. My son and I have “get home bags” we carry with us all the time. I just need to convince my wife and daughter that they need to do the same. 

I do need to stock up on more water, food, MRE's, etc. so we can avoid getting out for a longer period of time just in case. My 3-5 day emergency stash doesn’t seem to be adequate anymore. 

I look forward to reading all these responses and determine what else I should consider. 

• Like 2

I'm as adequately prepared as is possible, short of a mountaintop castle. There are a few of us who keep an eye out for each other and share a similar mindset. Also, thankfully my current location has a preponderance of folks having a more moderate and conservative outlook. 

• Like 3

Worried some, just gona wait, might take a few days off after the 3rd to see how things are before going into Nashville.

Need more water and long term food supplies, short on ammo and guns. Getting in and out of Nashville is a wait and see, working in Nashville will suck!!!

Timely topic David.

My wife and I were discussing this very thing earlier today. I too am quite pessimistic about the aftermath of the upcoming election. The potential is for things to get rough no matter what the ballots show. I think the video you linked on another thread regarding the descent into communism was very prescient.  

We live in a suburban area of West Knoxville. We've been here for close to 14 years. While I would love to be rural and on some acreage, this meets our perceived needs.

We have been steadily increasing  our pantry and food storage since the whole COVID thing began. Replenishing and rotating, but we had been a bit slack on the replenishing side of things. We have a well stocked pantry and a couple of chest freezers. For a number of years we've purchased in bulk quantities when items were on sale. It's just a prudent way to save money and be prepared for lean times, whether financially or a disruption in delivery. Snow storms anyone? 

We garden using raised beds. But it is supplemental, not subsistence. We also do rain catchment (water barrels) and have a Berkey Water filtration unit we use daily. Best water I've ever tasted and it's my primary "beverage". Love the stuff!

I taught myself to can, dehydrate, and store foods. We incorporate those items into our everyday lives. It's kinda of nice to know where at least some of your food comes from LOL

I work in Health Care. I'm an RN and I've worked ICU and ER for 38 years. Strictly ER the past 14 years. I was a Corpsman for 9 years prior to that. I am a certified Old Fart. 😉 

We have our own PPE's pretty well stocked because, as an ER RN if I wanted quality and ready availability I've had to supply my own. Yes, the hospitals have adequate PPE's, marginally, and not to the standards that have been the norm for many decades now, but adequate nonetheless. I worked neck deep in COVID from March until 3 weeks ago. I'm out of the ER arena now. I'm glad.

I know COVID is a politically charged issue and prefer not to discuss it on an open forum.

As the saying goes "You do you, I'll do me" and stay in my own lane Thanks.

We have masks, gloves, disinfecting supplies..." sanitary essentials" (I like that phrase) and protocols we've already had in place and been using because of the 12-13 hr exposure I had in the ER each day at work.

I'm a "gun guy". I wouldn't be on this forum if I weren't. I'm comfortable with the gear I have. I'm no youngster any more and feel it every day. I've trimmed down what I have on hand the past few years and reinvested those funds into other like sustainable items. Love my little Honda gennie and we've used it a few times already.

I have adequate ammo to allow me to shoot what I want and when I choose. But I've accumulated what I have over time. I only shoot 2-3 times per month and dry fire 2-3 times per week. I need to do more of each, but that's on me. The coming clouds have put a bit of urgency on that.

I, and the folks I handload with (as a group we have cast and PC'd handgun bullets and we're starting that back up again) have an adequate supply of components. As we've discussed many, many times on this forum, the past few years have provided incredible purchasing opportunities for all of us. I certainly heeded that advice and took advantage of the Black Friday sales as did many here.

On most levels and to any sane person it seems odd that we'd be discussing the possibility of a Civil War. But reality sometimes shifts. I pray we never come to that. But I'm not certain I have much of a say about the matter.

I am blessed for the professional training I've had in the past. But I'd be happy to live the rest of my life without having to utilize those skills. But we do live in "interesting times"

Gear is great. But skills and knowledge are probably the best investments we could make. Just an opinion.

Edited by Jamie Jackson
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

I have no doubt that however the election turns out that  there could be riots the likes of which will haven't dreamed of before. If Trump wins, the already crazy and violent left will get much worse. I can only see Biden winning by massive election fraud. That could set the right off. However, keep in mind that when both Clinton and Obama were elected, the right pitched a fit, but we didn't resort to violence. Not sure if that will hold true this time. I am certain that every city and police dept in this nation is putting together plans now to deal with trouble if it should occur.  Things could go either way. We'll just have to wait and see. 

While I'm not overly concerned with my little city, we do share a border with North Memphis. An area that has been steadily slipping for decades now. I worry about spill over from there. Especially since I live in the western portion of Bartlett. If there is any threat from Memphis, it'll reach my part of town first. On the positive side, what demonstrations that have been held in Memphis have been fairly peaceful up to now and have stayed downtown.  I hope it can stay that way. 

One more precaution I plan. I normally do my grocery shopping once a month and usually shortly after I get paid on the first. Usually during the first week.  However, I will get that done at the end of October rather than early November this year. I will be freshly stocked up before the election.

I have faith that our Mayor and Police will stand up to any trouble. However, I honestly can't say for absolute certain. I'm prepared to ride it out if necessary for up to a couple of months. I have good neighbors and if it comes right down to it, I'll arm all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I live in the sticks. Any unrest will not likely affect me unless I choose to drive to it and participate.

Since I am often wrong, we are well armed and reside on a property that geography makes fairly easy to defend.

This made me laugh because I too am often wrong.  Thank you!  😄

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, TGO David said:

This made me laugh because I too am often wrong.  Thank you!  😄

This was a trait I hadn’t really noticed until I married.😁

Luckily, my wife is gracious enough to point it out on a regular basis.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Haha 8
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1

I think that if Trump wins people will use it as an excuse to burn down their cities. I highly doubt it will spill over into the suburbs or the country though. If I'm wrong, I'm not sure what I could possibly do to prepare. I have enough guns and ammo unless we're an an all out civil war, which I have already shared  my doubts about. If things actually got that bad, I would probably go stay with my friend in Fentress county. One thing I will try to do, is have a heightened sense of awareness. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I agree with most everything stated here so far. 

I am well prepared in the Firearms, ammo, food cash, (and tradeable goods) spread around in multiple locations in 2 states. I can travel by land, sea (well river) or air if needed. We (my wife, brother and daughters/SIL) have plans and contingency plans that we've discussed. Multiple ways to communicate if needed. 

Never in my lifetime did I think I would need to be this prepared living in our great country, but here we are.  

Another thing I do have is a list of people I know who I would trust and associate with if things truly went off the rails. Many of whom are on TGO. To think you could stand by yourself during an off the rails situation would be foolish. 

Now more than ever we truly need to come together, put our differences aside, and stand firm for the greatest country that has ever been. This country or its people aren't perfect. Never have been and never will be but it has always been a beacon for hope. Let's not let that change. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

Another thing I do have is a list of people I know who I would trust and associate with if things truly went off the rails. Many of whom are on TGO. To think you could stand by yourself during an off the rails situation would be foolish. 

You just brought up an extremely important point—we cannot go it alone and I am concerned with my extended family and their “head in the sand” mentality. 

It wont happen overnight, but will be more of a slow, spreading, progressive burn.  I live inside Davidson County, though on the outskirts.  That decision is one I regret greatly not rectifying years ago. Living in a 'burb, not many ways to defend really, unless enough neighbors are of like mind,  though i'll try, and am stocked enough to do so.  Food and water and other consumables though, that's another problem.  Guess the best to hope for in my case is that it dont get this far or last too long before order is restored.  

As Thomas Paine once so aptly said, "These are the times that try men's souls."

If Trump wins i expect a few major cities to burn. And that's fine with me, which I'm sure is a bad attitude, but that's what it is. Some folks gotta learn the hard way and I'm happy let them even if my tax dollars are likely to be spent in the clean up. 

If Biden wins I expect outrage and protests but less general mayhem. 

Regardless of who wins, the only ones who will profit are the lawyers as there's certain to be suits galore. 

My suburban area is largely republican, so I don't expect any significant issues. We started homeschooling the kids in 2018 so I expect no impact there. I expect to go to work everyday just like I have all year. We're already stocking up in preparation for the next round of virus panic that's sure to come so the election really isn't changing anything for us. 

I dont know what it was like here in the 60's, but I have a hard time believing the political climate and general feelings of unrest are not much worse now. Difficult times indeed. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I'm not worried about mass political unrest.  We'll see some events, but I'm not thinking it'll be widespread or anything too bad on the whole.  Locally, sure, there's chance, but I really don't see a likely threat in my area.  I say this as someone who living right next to the Germantown area of Nashville is in place that looks mighty tempting for the kind of things you see on the news.  I've got my weapons, ammo, bugout bag, & blowout kit ready come what may.

While it's I guess somewhat attached to the political situation, I'm actually more worried about what economic conditions bring about.  There are still a lot of people out of work, and desperate people do desperate things.

• Like 1