Coffee County crime spree

I just caught this on the local news here in Knoxville. This is the stuff nightmares are made out of. The randomness of it combined with the brutality. 

COFFEE COUNTY, Tenn. (WKRN) — "A gunman executed a hostage in front of his pregnant wife during a weekend crime spree spanning several Tennessee counties, according to friends of the victims.The suspect, accused of killing two people and wounding at least three others was identified by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation as Dangelo Dorsey, a St. Louis man, who eventually took his own life." More in the article.

Anyone in the area have any additional insight? 

• Administrator

From the article:

Dorsey had no adult arrest record in Tennessee and was not wanted by law enforcement on any outstanding warrants, Rausch said Monday morning. He added Dorsey does have an “extensive criminal record” in his home state of Missouri.

As a society, we have lost the nerve to imprison repeat violent criminals until they die or just get on with the business of executing them so that they don't take up space in prisons and cannot escape or be released to continue to do harm.  When a human being exhibits the same lack of conscience and propensity to harm or kill others that you see among animals classified as "super predators", they should never be allowed the opportunity to continue harming and killing.

The problem is multifaceted:  Lawyers make a living defending these predators and the legal industry is big money.  The corrections and rehabilitation industries are also big money for either those that provide privatized incarceration facilities or to those who contractually provide services to government-owned facilities.  No one wants to cut off the supply of milk from the tit that feeds them.  Compounding this are the gentile people who are, as Winston Churchill put it, useful idiots and believe that predators can be rehabilitated.  Or, for religious beliefs, think that executing a predator is immoral and goes against God's commandment that we shall not murder.

All of these things combine to produce a society where violent, predatory criminals are put into incarceration facilities that serve as training camps and make them more violent and less human, only to be spilled back out onto the streets after a prescribed period of time or because the facilities can't hold them all and there are no stiff finite penalties that will dissuade others from following in their footsteps.

I doubt that our society will ever get back to the point where violent predatory criminals who are guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt and who have been given reasonable due process are swiftly executed and no longer a threat to the public.  And I believe that we can primarily thank the legal industry for that because they've set up an appalling number of barriers and opportunities for appeal that stand between a monster murdering a father in front of his pregnant wife, and justice.

Thankfully this predator killed himself.  I hope he burns for eternity.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, TGO David said:

And I believe that we can primarily thank the legal industry for that because they've set up an appalling number of barriers and opportunities for appeal that stand between a monster murdering a father in front of his pregnant wife, and justice.

I agree with you, but we can also thank corrupt DA's and detectives who have lied, falsified evidence, or even framed innocent people. Since 1973, 171 people have been freed from death row after being wrongfully convicted. And I'm not talking about the DA's just making mistakes. We're talking about some truly evil #### taking place, in order to convict some of these people. 171 may not sound like a lot but we've only executed 1,400. "In other words, for every 10 people who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in the U.S., one person has been set free."

I used to be for the death penalty. It's hard for me to feel good about the system knowing what I know now. I simply don't have faith that we're getting it right. 

• Like 2

We don’t have a justice system anymore. We haven’t for a long time. We have a legal system. And those are two VERY different things.

The whole system is setup so that cops who do their job, arrest the criminals, go to court, get slapped on the wrist, do a little jail time, but released early on probation and pay probation fees and court costs. It’s all about the money and keeping the court and legal system in business.

I saw one report where the TBI believes he was just traveling through TN and this happened. Still hits close to home.

We need more life imprisonments and death penalties served. Modern technology will prevent innocents from being incarcerated. 

Edited by nightrunner
Inappropriate
  • Administrator
50 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I agree with you, but we can also thank corrupt DA's and detectives who have lied, falsified evidence, or even framed innocent people. Since 1973, 171 people have been freed from death row after being wrongfully convicted. And I'm not talking about the DA's just making mistakes. We're talking about some truly evil #### taking place, in order to convict some of these people. 171 may not sound like a lot but we've only executed 1,400. "In other words, for every 10 people who have been executed since the death penalty was reinstated in the U.S., one person has been set free."

I used to be for the death penalty. It's hard for me to feel good about the system knowing what I know now. I simply don't have faith that we're getting it right. 

Look at the statistic you quoted.  Since 1973. 

How many of those were wrongfully convicted due to ancient forensic science techniques or corrupt policing in an era when "the good ole boy system" was still very much a thing?

How many of those were wrongfully convicted in the last ten years with much more advanced forensics available, cell phone tracking to put a person at a place on a date and time, ubiquitous security cameras and other technological advancements involved to provide a more holistic sphere of "evidence" available?  I'd bet not many.

Besides, there are cases like this one where it is pretty cut and dried.  Had this human predator not killed himself, there was enough evidence placing him at the scene of the crime and being guilty of those crimes that there would have been zero reason to allow the legal industry to drag it out in perpetuity.  There should be cases that get an express-lane to a death penalty and state-administered execution of sentence.  This is a good example of one of them.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, TGO David said:

How many of those were wrongfully convicted in the last ten years

That's a fair point. Forensics is certainly getting better every day. Since 2010-5 people. Since 2000-14 people. 35-40 since DNA became a thing. What really angers me is when they are found to be wrongfully convicted the states often refuse to compensate them.  And even when it's shown the DA's did something illegal, they are almost never prosecuted. Some of them are still working as DA's!

Again, I understand why people want the death penalty to be used. For me personally, I have some serious concerns about our ability to always get it right. Even executing 1 wrong person is too many. If you are interested, give The Innocence Files a watch on Netflix. 

https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/innocence-database

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Erik88 said:

Blackstone's Ratio

• Moderators

Most forensic “science” isn’t science. It’s complete bunk. In fact, it is more and more accepted that the only reliable, repeatable science is DNA. Pretty much everything else is junk. 

I only bring this up to emphasize the point that any DA or Judge that denies defendants access to DNA evidence from old crimes is not interested in justice or actually finding guilty parties, only upholding convictions.

This is a pretty decent article that delves into the problems with the fanciful imaginary world of forensics. 
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/reversing-legacy-junk-science-courtroom

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 2
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, nightrunner said:

Even though this is cut and dried, let me say I am overwhelmingly thankful he killed himself instead of being killed by a LEO. 

I don’t need any sparks being set off in my backyard.

Sad sign of the times, isn't it?

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

Most forensic “science” isn’t science. It’s complete bunk. In fact, it is more and more accepted that the only reliable, repeatable science is DNA. Pretty much everything else is junk. 

This is a pretty decent article that delves into the problems with the fanciful imaginary world of forensics. 
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/03/reversing-legacy-junk-science-courtroom

Good article! This is why the thought of sitting in front of a judge and jury for anything is horrifying to me. 
We’ve been reduced to the best justice money can buy.  It’s also why we have a thread discussing concealed carry legal plans.  An individual can do everything right in a self defense situation, and depending on another person’s opinion still end up on the wrong side of the law. 

We have a family legal plan, but I think I’ll also go ahead and get the concealed carry plan. They are offering 15% off to Sig Legion owners. 

• Like 5
  • Moderators

****To be on the actual topic****

I too am glad the murderer is dead. These stories are why I carry. The murderer’s death, the effectiveness of the legal system, and all the other issues are secondary to the fact that a wife and child are now without a husband and father. 

I can’t be a provider and a protector for my family if I’m not alive. That’s not to blame the victim, but a self reminder to fight with all I’ve got to be there for them. 

• Like 6

Violent offenders should go to prison….period. Violent offenders that use deadly weapons should not get out.

Once you pick up a gun and decide to point it at another human being during the commission of a crime; there should be no coming back from that. Rehabilitate a person like that? You have got to be kidding me.

We need much bigger jails and far more prisons. More people will probably be coming to that realization in the coming years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

****To be on the actual topic****

Yep. My takeaways from this(without actually having witnessed it) are:

• keep vehicle doors locked
  • keep a gun on me or at least in my vehicle, as much as possible. At minimum, I ALWAYS have my Protech. 
  • simply drive away. The chances of him shooting you inside a moving vehicle are lower than if he's made it inside. 
  • Getting taken hostage is the worst possible scenario. At that point, start thinking about how you are going to kill said person. 
  • Like 7
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Yep. My takeaways from this(without actually having witnessed it) are:

• keep vehicle doors locked

It sounds like he shot a truck driver in the face.  I haven't seen more detail on that, but I suspect he wasn't able to get in that truck and shot the guy for it.

• keep a gun on me or at least in my vehicle, as much as possible. At minimum, I ALWAYS have my Protech. 
  • simply drive away. The chances of him shooting you inside a moving vehicle are lower than if he's made it inside. 

The other folks that he hurt and the one he ended up killing were all stuck in a traffic jam that he caused by killing someone he was riding with in another car.

You're not simply driving away from anything in a traffic jam.

• Getting taken hostage is the worst possible scenario. At that point, start thinking about how you are going to kill said person. 

Agreed.  As the late Dr. William Aprill once told me, you need to know where the line is that you won't allow to be crossed.  He told me that his line was being forced into a vehicle with someone against his will, because the place they are taking you to is most likely the scene of your murder.

• Like 6

Yet another reminder of why I carry a pistol with me at all times. I have close family members that just do not get this and thing I'm being paranoid. They think nothing like that is ever going to happen like this, to them or me or my family.  I'm sure this couple thought the same thing. 

Edit:  As a matter of fact, I am working from home and I have one on my hip right now. 

Edited by Moped
  • Like 7

When I lived in Gallatin I always had a gun on me while at home. The neighborhood I lived in had people being robbed while cutting their lawns and even a couple folks were robbed while grilling out in the own back yards. The bad guys were always the same ones and were using knives as weapons. Two were robbed on the way to get their mail from the box near the road. I would walk to my mailbox each day with my gun concealed hoping that they showed up and brought a knife to a gun fight cause I was prepared to end their rein of terror but they never got to me before I moved. When I moved out here in the country for a short time I quit wearing my gun around the house but I felt uncomfortable without it even out here so I began wearing it once again. This day in time with all that is going on one never knows where these crazy people will show up!!............JMHO

• Like 2
On 9/15/2020 at 7:34 AM, Moped said:

Yet another reminder of why I carry a pistol with me at all times. I have close family members that just do not get this and thing I'm being paranoid. They think nothing like that is ever going to happen like this, to them or me or my family.  I'm sure this couple thought the same thing. 

Edit:  As a matter of fact, I am working from home and I have one on my hip right now. 

that's the beauty of working from home. no excuse to not be strapped 🤠

when I have family that confronts me with why I'm always carrying a gun I just tell them it's for the decepticons, and when they say somethig like "there aren't any such things as decepticons!" i just tell them they're welcome.

• Haha 2
21 hours ago, Mseals22 said:

that's the beauty of working from home. no excuse to not be strapped 🤠

when I have family that confronts me with why I'm always carrying a gun I just tell them it's for the decepticons, and when they say somethig like "there aren't any such things as decepticons!" i just tell them they're welcome.

😆😆😆

My family doesn’t even question this anymore. 

• Haha 1