Reloading pays off!!

Hi all, just letting some of the non reloaders in on what it cost me to load 150 rounds of .223 Hornady .55 gr. soft points. I have about $28.50 for these 150 rounds. I just looked on Ammoseek and .55 gr soft points are $1.00 each or $150 for this many. I know the primers are from 2007, bullets from 2009 and powder from that era also. So I made about $120 for a few hours in my reloading room. Not bragging mind you, just letting you know that if things ever calm down, put you in a good supply of components or loaded ammo and you will feel much better when you lay your head on your pillow at night. Stay safe guys.

• Like 6

That is exactly how I feel when everyone is scampering around looking for ammo-a few months ago I spent a few hundred dollar's ordering powder-bullets and primer's-and I sure don't regret spending the money.

Now when there is an ammo panic I can relax in the fact that I was prepared.

• Like 3

Yeah, Mac you got a good thing going there. The only .223 I got is a Savage 110E bolt. I used to varmint hunt a lot. But, don't shoot and load much .223 anymore but, have a bunch of 55 gr. fmj, 55gr. sp, and 64 gr. sp. Got small rifle primers too, and powder but, don't shoot them much..........

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 1

I was sort of unprepared for this in that I never got around to buying dies and components for 9mm and 5.56/.223. 

I am thankful that I had saved all my other stuff though. For the last month I have been sitting at the table loading .38 Special with Unique and some plated bullets and cast bullets. Set up on .357 Magnum the other day. I’ll be changing over to .30-30 in the next week or two, then on to .30-06. 

I really wish I’d gotten my head extracted from my backside and prepared so I could load 9 and 223, but I’m infinitely thankful that I’m at least able to do this. I’m not sure if things will calm down or not, but if they do I’ll make sure and correct this situation. It’s a huge relief working toward self sufficiency. 

• Like 2

While I have it on my mind. I messed up the other day and stuck a .223 case in my sizing die, yea I didn't think it was funny either. Well since this wasn't my first rodeo I have a drill and tap and bolt to extract the stuck case. I usually stick a 30-06 case. Well I messed up the expander ball and couldn't find one anywhere. So then I decided to just buy another set of dies, and nobody had any. Then I went to the source ordered a set of small base .223 dies directly from RCBS cost about $5 more than anyone else, but I didn't care. Like the old adage 2 is 1 and 1 is none. I have extra decapping pins and such. I am also going to get another shellholder for each die set. So if you really want dies, try RCBS.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, seez52 said:

Any time I get a bit overwhelmed over the news, antifa, rioting etc. I just mosey down to the basement and crank out another 100 M80 .308 and the world is at peace once again.

Yeaah..! What Mister seez52 said..!!!

" Metoo " leroy...

• Like 3

I wasn't ready for this craziness with ammo shortages. I got into 9mm because it was cheap and plentiful. WAS! I thought of it as a caliber I didn't need to load myself. Boy was I wrong. I just can't do good predictions. Now its way over priced and I'm not paying what they're asking either. Can't even find components now. Question? What do you get when you mix Libs with crazy Domestic terrorists groups? 🙄

Edited by Quavodus
26 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I wasn't ready for this craziness with ammo shortages. I got into 9mm because it was cheap and plentiful. WAS! I thought of it as a caliber I didn't need to load myself. Boy was I wrong. I just can't do good predictions. Now its way over priced and I'm not paying what they're asking either. Can't even find components now. Question? What do you get when you mix Libs with crazy Domestic terrorists groups? 🙄

Upscale sushi restaurants?

• Haha 2

Actually, that's exactly what I thought for a long time. I only started loading 9mm a couple of years ago simply because I reload all my handgun calibers. Besides, I like to tune my loads for my guns. 

I never have reloaded 5.56 and don't even have a set of dies for that caliber. However, I am sitting on a pretty good supply of 5.56 ammo that I bought cheap back then. But when things do settle back down, you can bet I will start reloading it. 

On 9/17/2020 at 10:51 PM, Grayfox54 said:

Besides, I like to tune my loads for my guns. 

This right here. No matter how much or how little you spend, you can't buy the ammo I load anywhere. And yes, it is kind of a pain to load different flavors of the same ammo to make the old rifle happy but somehow when I'm decently on target I seem to vaguely remember the angst in the distant past...

I have a fair amount of factory ammo, both good and cheap flavors. I almost always buy ammo for my training classes. Most training companies require factory ammo for a variety of reasons and it is kind of a pain to watch 2500 - 3,000 rounds of my hard earned labor fly down the range on high round count classes.

Just for grins and giggles one particular high round count pistol class I took I decided to shoot with my p226 in .357 sig. (my favorite handgun round). I loaded 3,500 full tilt boogie rounds. Normally I shoot 9mm to minimize cost and punishment. 3, 028 rounds and 3 days later I finished the class but had to stay at the hotel an extra night because my hands were so swollen I was afraid to try to drive. Lots of soaking in ice water.

Never had the desire to repeat that particular experiment again. 😂 now but back then... whew.

We've been in our forever home a little over 2 years now. Recently had the reloading cave (shed) delivered. Hopefully as the temps fall and the farm slows down a bit I will get everything set up. It's going to take me a long time to get back in to the swing of things again. I way too much of a fraidy cat to just jump right back in and hope I remember everything.

50 minutes ago, Mark A said:

way too much of a fraidy cat to just jump right back in and hope I remember everything.

I totally understand that Mark. As I get older, I am much more careful than I once was. However I have always been careful. I reload in a shed also, it's my heated and A/C'd doghouse in case the Mrs. kicks me outta the house. LOL It is my domain, she knocks before opening the door, I am slowly training her, 49 years 5 months, 24 days, 23 hours but who's counting.

• Haha 2