Concealed Only Permit Requirements

Recently moved to TN and looking at getting a concealed carry permit.  I have previously held a permit for years in WI until I lived in Los Angeles (#### hole) for the last 5 years.  My question is does the new Concealed Only permit require fingerprinting or just a name only background check every 5 years?  I have read conflicting information in regards to fingerprinting and the concealed only permit.  I have no issues passing even the highest of clearance for background checks but feel constitutionally uneasy with fingerprint requirements.  I never had to provide for my WI permit.

9 hours ago, Yuri Orlov said:

My question is does the new Concealed Only permit require fingerprinting or just a name only background check every 5 years?  I have read conflicting information in regards to fingerprinting and the concealed only permit.  

The CCP permit requires fingerprinting when you apply, then it’s a name only background check every five years.

• Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 10:34 PM, Raoul said:

Why not just do the lifetime permit?

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/permittypes.html

Ditto.

What I did was get the regular permit, then when it was about to expire, I upgraded it to lifetime. I wanted the lifetime, but I believe as a new transplant from Yankeedom, they wouldn't let me. Since the OP has had one previously, might be otherwise?

Regardless, you go down to a UPS store nearby and get fingerprinted in like 10 minutes, its digital, painless, no ink.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mike243 said:

I was thinking it moved from a 5 year to a 8 year ? at my age a lifetime would have been a waste of $ probably lol

Mine too but I hate dealing with those asshats at the dmv so I got my lifetime just so it’s one less thing to deal with. 

3 hours ago, mike243 said:

I was thinking it moved from a 5 year to a 8 year ? at my age a lifetime would have been a waste of $ probably lol

Mike I renewed mine in 2018 and it is good to 2026.  8 years, as you said above a lifetime for me would also be a waste. 

For any retired LEOs on here, Tennessee now offers a free Retired LEO Lifetime HCP. I just got mine.  At my age, I wasn't going to spring for the fees for a lifetime permit, but, for the time to complete a little paperwork, it was worth it for free.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, mike243 said:

Just checked mine. Renewed it in '18, good until 2026. I too see the handwriting on my personal wall. $300 would be a very high probability of wasted money.

Now a question. With all the choices, is my current ccp an "Enhanced"? Or What?

And what's happened with the requirement/certification from Homeland to be able to fly?

Is that still ongoing? I haven't heard it mentioned in a while.

You renewed a HCP, not a ccp.  Your HCP was changed in name only to an Enhanced Carry Permit.  No other changes in what you can or cannot do from previous permit.  If you are referring to the 'Real ID' for your driver's license, that was pushed back by at least a year by Covid. I assume you know it has nothing to do with a carry permit.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

Just checked mine. Renewed it in '18, good until 2026. I too see the handwriting on my personal wall. $300 would be a very high probability of wasted money.

Now a question. With all the choices, is my current ccp an "Enhanced"? Or What?

And what's happened with the requirement/certification from Homeland to be able to fly?

Is that still ongoing? I haven't heard it mentioned in a while.

If you are talking about the requirement to have a REAL ID to fly...The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is October 1, 2021.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Defender said:

If you are talking about the requirement to have a REAL ID to fly...The new deadline for REAL ID enforcement is October 1, 2021.

Prior to going to the DMV make an appointment online. It will keep you from having to wait in those long lines.  The wife and I drove up, there was a long line and people were sitting in lawn chairs.  We told the lady at the door that we had appointments for Real ID, she let us in and we were finished in about 15-20 minutes. When we left, the same people were waiting at the door.  It feels weird having to have a star on my ID to travel in the states.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Links2k said:

Prior to going to the DMV make an appointment online. It will keep you from having to wait in those long lines.  The wife and I drove up, there was a long line and people were sitting in lawn chairs.  We told the lady at the door that we had appointments for Real ID, she let us in and we were finished in about 15-20 minutes. When we left, the same people were waiting at the door.  It feels weird having to have a star on my ID to travel in the states.

Thanks to Defender and Links2k for the information. Depending on the next few months, I'll see if I have the inclination or the need to fly anywhere.

• Like 1