Bad Ass Blades, a review

It was finally time to get a second sharpening on my CRKT M16-14T

Last time was 10 years ago at an RK Show.

Decided to give @willis68 a try, others have reported quality work.

This blade needed it, trust me.

Contacted through PM, was given turn time (extended in my case, Mr. 68 was heading off shore)

Completed within promised window and contacted via email.

During this exchange, I asked about the quality of this particular steel; not great and and substandard bevel on factory edge, especially at the serrations.

In my case, it was a gift and I have sentimental attachment.

It's sharp, I wish I had thought of before and after pics.

When I am ready to upgrade, @willis68 will be my first stop to shop and buy.

Thanks for the great quality of service!

16005530708761393853247.jpg

• Like 10

Nice review.

It is probably due to wear over time, but I really like how that tanto is curved and the junction to give more belly.  I took a knife making class one wonderfully long day and the guys made neck knives that really caught my attention with a more curved tanto design. 

15 hours ago, tbenedict said:

but I really like how that tanto is curved and the junction to give more belly.

Its credited as a Kit Carson Design (of Vine Grove, KY)

CRKT's website has a nice bio on the designer.

Side note, I just did a price check, this is a $75 knife.

How long it holds a good edge without abuse is a question mark due to the quality of the steel.

The overall construction is substantial and can serve as a very effective striking weapon or tool for glass breaking.

I initially thought the titanium panels were gimicky; close inspection today reveals virtually no scratches and the finish is even with no discoloration. Nice surprise since I've carried it daily and dropped it occasionally for 10 years.

• Like 3

My late brother-in-law was a close friend of Kit, and a big fan of Kit's designs and knives. Although I never got to meet Kit in person, I do have one of his knives that was given to me by Tad. Don't ask me which one. I don't have a clue at the moment. lol

It's put away and I don't really want to go dig it out. Maybe sometime and I'll put a pic out on it.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Wanted to provide an update.

Not on @willis68 but rather on the blade itself.

It is already showing signs of how soft the steel is and I've not abused it.

As I mentioned, the overall construction for the $75.00 price point is a good value and my perception of long life.

It is now obvious to me what the extra $$ buys, quality of steel and the process used for the blade to hold an edge.

"You spent $150 - $300 on your new pocket knife?"

"Yep."

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 9:31 AM, A.J. Holst said:

Wanted to provide an update.

Not on @willis68 but rather on the blade itself.

It is already showing signs of how soft the steel is and I've not abused it.

As I mentioned, the overall construction for the $75.00 price point is a good value and my perception of long life.

It is now obvious to me what the extra $$ buys, quality of steel and the process used for the blade to hold an edge.

"You spent $150 - $300 on your new pocket knife?"

"Yep."

Let me know when you want another knife, 

• Like 1