Home gun range

I have 20 acres now and decided I need to shoot a lot more. I decided I wanted a lil place to play all to myself. I spent several weeks walking around in the wooded area and have found a spot that is great 50yrds for pistol. As I got to looking at this more I think I might be able to get 125yrds for rifle. So I started clearing some of the brush out of the way. I’ve got a friend with a plasma table and he’s checking on some 1/4 sheet ar500. I’ll post pics as I get things done. I want this to be nice so any input is welcome good or bad..... by all means say something if it’s bad. 

D1C3D921-AA48-432A-846B-7D70C7E6CA51.jpeg

6B4AF6EB-A866-4F04-96B3-7133526C4635.jpeg

70006C34-D308-4AF4-81AA-337DBD905562.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

All I can add is that I’m jealous

It’s been a long time coming. About a month ago was the first time I’ve pulled a trigger in 5 yrs to amount to anything. The old saying...  Couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn. I was ashamed and glad no one was there. 

My only question is what is beyond those trees? Especially when you get into rifle, you have a lot farther to think about. You have to always take into account the people who might wander onto your land, intentional or not, in the line of fire as you set up to shoot. People pop up in the worst places and at the worst times. Of course something as simple as a earthen berm helps with that if you can get equipment there. If not, you could always look into building a backstop out of logs to help mitigate the risk some. 

I am jealous too. I have just enough land to shoot.. If I was not surrounded on all 4 sides by houses. Enjoy it. 

Edited by Ronald_55
8 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

My only question is what is beyond those trees? Especially when you get into rifle, you have a lot farther to think about. You have to always take into account the people who might wander onto your land, intentional or not, in the line of fire as you set up to shoot. People pop up in the worst places and at the worst times. Of course something as simple as a earthen berm helps with that if you can get equipment there. If not, you could always look into building a backstop out of logs to help mitigate the risk some. 

I am jealous too. I have just enough land to shoot.. If I was not surrounded on all 4 sides by houses. Enjoy it. 

I guess I should have put calibers in my post. The rifle will be only 22lr and 300 blackout only(sub). The 2nd and 3rd pics is the angle of dangle and which is around 1200ft of woods. I plan on some nice backstops just to satisfy me. The pistol range is around 25-30 ft down in a gulley. 

21 hours ago, ReeferMac said:

Seriously.... way nicer than the stack of old rottens logs I propped a pallette up against in my back corner. 😆

I actually made a bullet stop out of stacked railroad ties up over 8 feet high in a stretched "V" shape locking them in with rebar pins. I then piled dirt up against the inside of the "V". My back field is long, flat, and kept mowed giving me up to about 300 yards to shoot from. Woods and distance back-up the bullet stop. I wish it didn't get so danged hot so quickly during the summers. I pretty much only use it in the spring and fall.

Edited by E4 No More
7 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I actually made a bullet stop out of stacked railroad ties up over 8 feet high in a stretched "V" shape locking them in with rebar pins. I then piled dirt up against the inside of the "V". My back field is long, flat, and kept mowed giving me up to about 300 yards to shoot from. Woods and distance back-up the bullet stop. I wish it didn't so danged hot so quickly during the summers. I pretty much only use it in the spring and fall.

That’s what I’m thinking about if I can find then cheap. 

Since I work here, I decided to play since it was nice outside and work this evening. 

9B6BF232-6160-495D-B967-DE3B5F7F9E02.jpeg

F64A9353-7156-43F4-A2ED-B837A1285694.jpeg

E7BD2C3A-5F03-4C14-97EE-F47C31B436EA.jpeg

6AB236FC-8328-4A26-9B72-E564DA39FBFA.jpeg

Edited by 70Stingray
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I got prices on ar500 in 1/4&3/8. My friends supplier has a 4x4 of each he’s had in stock. 300 for 1/4 and 375 for 3/8. Does not include cutting of them. Bad news is my buddy had a motorcycle wreck and got a few broken bones and has to have a few surgeries. Arm in a sling for a couple months.