SCCY NOT COMING TO TN

chances R

Funny DENSO has been in Maryville for years (looked it up, since 1988). How hard would it have been to see that they suck up a lot of the manufacturing labor force? Also, their wages should not have been a total secret. This is sorta like someone needing people with the same skill set as Eastman in the Tricities moving in. They need to come in with some kind of angle to get an edge. Mediocre pay and benefits wont cut it. $17 an hour pay sounds OK until you see the "including benefits" . Makes me wonder what the actual per hour was. Never had one of their guns, but I know they come in to the low end of cost. Gives them less to work with unless they can keep sales volume up. Anyway, was kind of hoping to see this happen. The more gun manufactures we have in the state, the more our politicians will be apt to vote in ways that keep them in business. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Hard to believe labor is cheaper in Daytona, Florida than in East Tennessee.

19 minutes ago, peejman said:

Have you been to Daytona lately?  Its all tourism based service work. There's very little industry there. 

According to this they’ve been trying to compete with DENSO in Murrville, which is paying higher wages and is a huge employer.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/2020/09/21/gunmaker-sccy-pulls-out-plans-east-tennessee-headquarters/5827304002/

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Garufa said:

According to this they’ve been trying to compete with DENSO in Murrville, which is paying higher wages and is a huge employer.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/money/2020/09/21/gunmaker-sccy-pulls-out-plans-east-tennessee-headquarters/5827304002/

And Alcoa/Arconic, and ORNL, and Siemens, and Clayton, and Kimberly Clark, and Tennova, and Covenant Health, and....   Heck, even Walmart is competitive at the $12/hr they were targeting. 

19 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I have not. I would expect a pretty high cost of living there, however.

Florida is a mixed bag. When we bought our house there in 2013 it was on par what what we would have paid in East TN. Property taxes were higher but not by a ton. Sales tax is lower. Overall I never felt like it was more expensive living in central FL than TN. 

3 hours ago, peejman said:

And Alcoa/Arconic, and ORNL, and Siemens, and Clayton, and Kimberly Clark, and Tennova, and Covenant Health, and....   Heck, even Walmart is competitive at the $12/hr they were targeting. 

Also Moomba Boats and Rubbermaid, where they make Sharpie permanent markers. For a small town it has a surprising amount of manufacturing and distribution. Altar'd State DC is there too. 

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
On 9/22/2020 at 9:12 AM, Lumber_Jack said:

I honestly think they just wanted a way out of spending a #### ton of money.  Prior to Covid-19 gun sales had slowed and lets face it SCCY wasn't taking the industry by storm

They seem to have found a niche for their product. A lot of people I know have them. I personally don’t. They survived the bad press early on and continue to roll. 

I just think Maryville, wasn’t a good fit for them. They should take note of what Taurus did and open a plant up somewhere with a low cost of living and an area needing decent paying jobs. Taurus opened up a new plant in Bainbridge, GA, and are doing well down there. 

Edited by Moped
  • Like 1