45 acp of 357

loadedp3at

I'd go with the .357. More  versatile, lots of loads to choose from and better ballistics in case you need it against a large animal. The .45acp is an excellent self defense cartridge and would probably just fine for the stated purpose. I just prefer the .357 in this case. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, loadedp3at said:

I am using this when hiking and camping. Both are revolvers so there is no difference except for the 357 is 6 shot and the 45 acp is 5. Which would you carry for hiking in the Tn mountains and weekend camping?

357 gives a 20% capacity increase, it's sufficient for anything you're likely to encounter and might well be a smaller, lighter package. (Of course, if they're different chamberings in the same gun, the 357 might actually be heavier...)

Lol  I’ll be the only 45 vote, unless the 45 is a charter or Taurus and the 357 is smith or ruger or you’re serious about hiking weight then take the lighter one.  Shotshell, rimmed, hardcast, hollow point available in both options. 45 super hardcast with moon clips bumps energy over auto rim.  45’s a better short barrel option, 357 needs at least 3” running room to get going and a little more to calm down flash. 5 rounds vs 6.... meh... if that’s a concern carry a pistol.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Bulldogs have some snap.  I actually have a lot of love for Charter Arms.  I had a super reliable and accurate 40 Pitbull that I sold to one of my best friends. I had a darn nifty 70ish undercover that I sold to another friend.  Neither one of these ever had an issue.  I never realized, until I inserted the undercover into a kydex holster, but they are actually smaller than a j frame in almost every dimension.  

Edited by Patton
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Patton said:

The Bulldogs have some snap.  I actually have a lot of love for Charter Arms.  I had a super reliable and accurate 40 Pitbull that I sold to one of my best friends. I had a darn nifty 70ish undercover that I sold to another friend.  Neither one of these ever had an issue.  I never realized, until I inserted the undercover into a kydex holster, but they are actually smaller than a j frame in almost every dimension.  

They are 2oz lighter than my 442, at 12oz. I wonder if they are +P rated? I should have bought a Bulldog decades ago. I had the chance to get one with a 4” barrel. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen another like it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hard to see an argument for the .45 IMO.   The .357 excels at penetration, which is your friend when it comes to shooting at woodland-type creatures large enough to make a meal out of you😁

It will also give you an extra round and likely be slimmer to carry.  

About the only real benefit of the .45 would be speed of reloading, assuming the gun is set up for moon clips.

.357. I like .45, but the fact that you could toss some .38spl in there to use with the .357 is a bit of an edge to me. Also means if for sone reason you were stuck somewhere needing ammo, you have twice the optiins. 

And as far as speed of reloading, look at speed strips or speed loaders

Edited by Ronald_55
  • Like 2

Given the choice between calibers, I'd pick the .357 any day. However, I don't think you have to worry about any dangerous animal encounters in TN that warrant either caliber (or the weight).

I actually spend far too much time backpacking and camping (heck, I've hiked over 1100 miles so far this year!) and truly suggest you find a lightweight, plastic 9 milli that you don't mind getting wet or losing.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Swamp ash said:

Given the choice between calibers, I'd pick the .357 any day. However, I don't think you have to worry about any dangerous animal encounters in TN that warrant either caliber (or the weight).

I actually spend far too much time backpacking and camping (heck, I've hiked over 1100 miles so far this year!) and truly suggest you find a lightweight, plastic 9 milli that you don't mind getting wet or losing.

I sorta get that. The thing is, it’s hard to find a subcompact 9mm that’s runs as well as a small revolver. I carry my S&W 442 .38spl when I hike. Yeah, it’s a 5 shot, but it weights in at 14 oz. A S&W Sheild and Ruger LC9S both run 17 oz. Of course you get a couple more rounds with that extra weight and they are faster on the reload, but few small autos are as reliable as a revolver, in the woods. 

• Like 1

I didn't really get to finish my thought above, last night.  Life intruded.

The Sheild and the LC9S are the only two smaller autos that I have experience with, that are small AND reliable. I don't have a lot of faith in any smaller 9mm.  Plus you're back to 5 rounds, maybe 6.  You can spend a bit more on a S&W 360 and have a .357 in a 12 oz package, but I bet that is brutal with full power .357 loads!