45 acp of 357

loadedp3at

• 2 weeks later...

My choices are different but not necessarily better. I'd carry my 6" Smith 586. The load would be a 156gr lead hollow point running about 1300 fps. Being out and about a concealed carry does not add up to me. I make my own hollow points as a bullet caster. Handloading rules. YMMV

• 2 weeks later...

Remember, Ballistic by the Inch is measuring a fixed breach and not accounting for the cylinder chamber in a revolver.  The real velocity of a two inch revolver is closer to a 3.5-4” single shot or semiauto.  The velocity loss through the cylinder gap is equivalent to the velocity loss operating the the blowback of a semi-auto; both are generally 25 fps is all. My 4” 45acp revolver still has more velocity, with the same loads, than a 5” GI 1911.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 6:53 PM, loadedp3at said:

So... I did so digging in BBI. All are 2 inch barrel. I noticed the 38 special, 357 mag and the 45 acp all run between 750 to 900. So is the 357 still a better choice in that length barrel? Is the 6 shots better to have than a bit bullet??

If you are referring to velocity, .357 will always beat .38 and .45 ACP regardless of barrel length.  

.357 is the best and by far the most versatile choice. 

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, pop pop said:

The 357 is the ugly duckling of the self defense world. Has best stats of any of the smaller handguns. One must go one must go to 44 and above to get better. 

Only because it's a revolver caliber.  Those of us that have been around a long time, know what a great self-defense round it truly is! If I had to pick one caliber to carry, all the time, .357 would be it. Of course that being said, I have two handguns in .357 and never carry either one of them! 😄  I'm looking to change that in the future though.  If I had the money, I'd trade my 442 in on a 340 or 360 in a heart beat!!!

On 11/25/2020 at 11:00 AM, Moped said:

Only because it's a revolver caliber.  Those of us that have been around a long time, know what a great self-defense round it truly is! If I had to pick one caliber to carry, all the time, .357 would be it. Of course that being said, I have two handguns in .357 and never carry either one of them! 😄  I'm looking to change that in the future though.  If I had the money, I'd trade my 442 in on a 340 or 360 in a heart beat!!!

I'd be all over .357 magnum if there were more Autoloaders rather than just Coonan and Desert Eagle.

It's a trade-off and the options in place make .45 more attractive than .357 mag.

Edited by SavageSig
Did I say 9mm? I meant .45