.357 load data ??

Hi all, I have 3 reloading manuals, but they all are Speer and I have seen where sometimes Speer data is too hot. I have a lot of Green Dot powder and I know I can use it up in .38 special and 9mm, but would like to see if anyone has data other than from Speer. My book shows 158gr JHP 7.0 gr. start with 7.5 max.

I plan on using this loading in a Marlin 1894C but love my gun and don't want to mangle it or me up. Any constructive information would be appreciated. Not the usual, go buy another load book. There isn't much data to begin with and most is pretty old. Thanks Mac

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirt...

If ya really want ta use Green Dot ta use it up, i would use the 38 special data and simply ratio it up by the ratio of the case volumes. I use this trick from time to time with the 38/357 and other pistol calibers...  By the way... DO NOT TRY THIS WITH RIFLE CARTRIDGES...

I would start on the low side of the 38 special values and work up till i wuz satisfied by the performance of the recipe.  The math based form of what i am sayin is this... (the 38 special recipe powder amount in grains) times (the 357 case volume/ 38 special case volume)... Another way is to look for an older lyman reloading gabdbook.  Im guessin they seventies era handbooks had a recipe.

leroy

If you are wanting to get 357 Magnum velocities, Green Dot is not going to get you as high FPS as other powders.  It's burn rate is too fast and the volume needed to get 1400-1500 FPS will not be safe.  Green Dot is between Titegroup and Zip, Titegroup being the fastest and looking at http://reloadammo.com/357loads.htm, Zip can get you to 1307 FPS.  Winchester 296 is a slower burn rate, more volume but gets you over 1500 FPS.  I know you want to use what you have and as long as you are OK with 1200 FPS (my WAG) you should be able to make it work.