Hands Free Handgun Safes

VolunteerJeff106

So, I'm in the market for a new handgun safe. Don't get me wrong, my trusty old Fort Knox pistol box is doing just fine. And I don't plan on replacing it. But rather I'm shopping for the wife. Now, I'm used to fumbling around in the dark on that Simplex lock, but I'd prefer that my wife didn't have to. I want something quick easy and preferably hands free for her. 

And as luck may have it...I found one that looks interesting. After cruising online, I found one of those top ten lists or whatever on pistol safes. On this list (link for reference), there's two particular options there's a bluetooth safe where you can open from your phone and one that just uses a simple chip in a bracelet--just touch it to safe and it opens. 

My question is has anyone here actually used a similar safe? Does the RFID bracelet chip actually work? Or is the Bluetooth safe less secure because of internet and stuff? I'm not too techie when it comes to this kind of stuff, so any insight would be much appreciated. 

I don't have a RFID safe, but I do have a RFID deadbolt on my front door.  It works very well and is used many times (25+) a day.  With it and most RFID locks, you can purchase RFID chips and program the lock to accept them.  I have armbands which I find hard to use on the dead bolt because of the location on the door.  I prefer just the small plastic keyfob with the embedded RFID chip. 

Bluetooth is local only and shouldn't really be a security issue... IF the company has kept their Bluetooth stack up to date.  Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about theives trying to hack my gun safe. Limiting physical access is more important.  Someone breaking into the house is more likely to take the whole box and open it later at their leisure unless you have the safe secured by bolting it down or using a good quality cable.

18 hours ago, billmeek said:

I don't have a RFID safe, but I do have a RFID deadbolt on my front door.  It works very well and is used many times (25+) a day.  With it and most RFID locks, you can purchase RFID chips and program the lock to accept them.  I have armbands which I find hard to use on the dead bolt because of the location on the door.  I prefer just the small plastic keyfob with the embedded RFID chip. 

Bluetooth is local only and shouldn't really be a security issue... IF the company has kept their Bluetooth stack up to date.  Personally, I wouldn't worry to much about theives trying to hack my gun safe. Limiting physical access is more important.  Someone breaking into the house is more likely to take the whole box and open it later at their leisure unless you have the safe secured by bolting it down or using a good quality cable.

Hmm... if they're programmable that means I can program say only two...one for me and one for the boss. That puts my mind at ease a bit. And I've never really had issue with any of Hornady's products. However, I definitely agree a mechanical backup is a must. I'm gonna need to do some more research. But seriously thanks for the insight.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:41 AM, VolunteerJeff106 said:

Hmm... if they're programmable that means I can program say only two...one for me and one for the boss. That puts my mind at ease a bit. And I've never really had issue with any of Hornady's products. However, I definitely agree a mechanical backup is a must. I'm gonna need to do some more research. But seriously thanks for the insight.

I don't know about the concept of using bluetooth to unlock a safe I wanted rapid access to, if I am thinking about this right I would have to unlock my phone, open an app, and hit unlock before I could access the contents of the safe?  Seems like a lot of potential pitfalls there and more interfaces than a simple 4 button lock.  I have a sentry fingerprint model that has been a stud for a while now, has a 4 button backup should the reader fail for some reason.