Time for a new pickup truck, some advice?

hlb14

The time has come to start looking for a replacement for my 15 year old half ton Chevy.  This will be a 3 to 4 year old truck, not new off the lot.  My question is if you were going to tow 6500 lbs 4 days a week, week in and week out, would you be fine with a newer 1/2 or would you consider a 3/4 ton?  

24 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

That much towing on a daily basis, I’d be looking at a 3/4 ton diesel. 

I'd have to know a good diesel mechanic before I jumped into that pool.  My wife's work uses a f350 and f550 both with diesels.  Those trucks always seem to give them motor/def/emissions problems.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, hlb14 said:

I'd have to know a good diesel mechanic before I jumped into that pool.  My wife's work uses a f350 and f550 both with diesels.  Those trucks always seem to give them motor/def/emissions problems.

I ALMOST suggested diesel but you said 5 years old and the last diesel I trusted was a 2009 duramax. Otherwise mr deep pockets better be on speed dial 😅

• Like 1

Currently I'm towing roughly 4k lbs. The truck I have now manages, just wish it had better brakes and a stronger transmission.  Going to a larger trailer and adding equipment in the near future will be more than it can handle. 

eta, this purchase will most likely be in the spring as current used truck prices are just stupid!

Edited by hlb14

@hlb14, if everything but the go and stop parts are still serviceable you might find it more economical to upgrade those than spring for a new truck if you're able to during for the out of pocket cost. Could do higher gears and bigger brakes along with a stouter transmission.

I don't know what yours is worth (and so what kind of money you'd be out in the buying and selling), but I've been adjacent to a lot of folks buying newer used trucks over the last couple-few years and I don't think prices on those will be much less stupid in the spring...

• Like 1

Absolutely 3/4 ton, and get a diesel. Since you are buying used, absolutely under no circumstances get a 6.0 Powerstroke. I’m not familiar with the newer ones but these are junk. Duramax or Cummins is fine but the 6.0PS will be in the shop more than on the road.

It’s been several years back now, but my dad pulled a trailer 5-6 days a week all year long for work as a contractor. It was a 7x12 enclosed trailer at an estimated 6-8k (never weighed it). Originally he pulled it with a 99 Silverado 1500 2wd reg cab short bed 4.3 v6. It did the job, but it was obvious you needed more truck. Squatted the rear end quite a bit, nowhere near enough braking power, and it was enough of a strain that I don’t think it would have lasted long term. Did that for 4 years/80k miles, finally was able to get a Duramax, 2004 2500 crew cab short bed 4wd. It did a much better job at it. It was an appropriate truck for that load.

If you are only looking at 3-4 years old, you likely won’t save that much over a brand new, left over stock from last year when you buy. Full sized trucks in general and especially diesel pickups hold their value very well even in a non-COVID-19 market.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hlb14 said:

Call around and ask a few independent diesel shops about the reliability of the big three brands and the particular years. Guarantee they all say avoid the 6.0 Powerstroke and probably the 6.4 PS too. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hlb14 said:

Currently I'm towing roughly 4k lbs. The truck I have now manages, just wish it had better brakes and a stronger transmission.  Going to a larger trailer and adding equipment in the near future will be more than it can handle. 

eta, this purchase will most likely be in the spring as current used truck prices are just stupid!

Don't expect the used truck market to cool much, if any, between now and spring ...

Hlb 14, depends on how far you are towing. Are you making a 400 mile roundtrip each day or 50 miles. I know for a fact that diesels will tow the load, but if they break, they will break your pocketbook. Put the pencil to it. To change oil & filter on a gas burner $50, diesel $150. A good diesel pickup mechanic is difficult to find and expensive when you find him. I had a dually F-350 diesel and it was great old powerstroke. You couldn't give me a new one, they have so many sensors and junk plus the def fluid. I put the pencil to it and you had to keep it and drive 300,000 miles before it was cheaper to own the diesel.

• Like 2

The older Dodge Rams with the Cummins were exceptional trucks {2001 model]. Now with all the electronics not so much. Too many electronic glitches to cause problems. Old diesels all you needed was good compression, clean fuel and clean air. Now every thing is controlled by emission electronics and they are money pits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1