Backorder, Preorder, Availability of ammo and components

I've seen several threads mention ammo availability, and some mention of availability of reloading components.

I thought I'd start a thread for folks to somewhat consolidate those things if they'd like.

With the way 2020 is going, the almost unbelievably high pricing of ammo, especially 9mm, and the ridiculous price some folks are bidding on Gunbroker, I think it'll be quite a while before we establish whatever "new normal" we'll see.

The overwhelming majority of the ammo I shoot is handloaded. I'm comfortable with what I have on hand, but at the same time it might be prudent to at least try and add to my supplies when I run across affordable ammo or components. This may well prove more costly and challenging in the future... very near future possibly. <sigh>

I have some 9mm projectiles on backorder from Rocky Mountain Reloads (awesome company and they still allow backorders). The wait time Jake lists on the site (as of yesterday) is a minimum of 8 weeks.

Sportsman's Guide is allowing Pre-order of 9mm ammo (quite costly, but the market drives the price).

Midwayusa is allowing backorder on some bullets, but I didn't see any backorder allowed on 9mm ammo.

Everglades Ammo still has bullets available and their price has, of course, increased as well.

Berry's Bullets is listing no backorders and seems to be out of 9mm.

@TGO David has done a great job of explaining the current situation, so I'll not be redundant in that.

We've seen a lot of new shooters and new gun owners joining our ranks. I'm certain there are folks viewing that are considering purchasing a firearm that have no clue as to where to find ammo. Please feel free to recommend a site that may help folks out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2020 at 8:54 AM, Jamie Jackson said:

I have some 9mm projectiles on backorder from Rocky Mountain Reloads (awesome company and they still allow backorders). The wait time Jake lists on the site (as of yesterday) is a minimum of 8 weeks.

I received a couple K of 9mm bullets this week from RMR, true to their projected shipping times.

I see Powder Valley is getting, and of course rapidly selling out of primers, fairly regularly. The price is averaging $35.00+ and they seem to be limiting purchase amounts...and then there's Hazmat... but if you have a dire enough need...

I ordered and rec'd some 22 cal bullets I saw available online, shipping was fast via UPS, a bit pricey on the shipping but bullets are not light so....  I'm ok on primers and powders, but still look whenever I'm out and stop by stores that do stock reloading components.  Some of the bullets I'm looking for still aren't available online or in stores, so I get what I can and move on.  I can still load and go to the range, just have to be a bit more conservative in the number of trips.  LOL.  

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat jpx.

I still have plenty of components (for now), but I'm mindful of how much I take to the range with me. Things can certainly get more challenging than they are even now.

I've been keeping and eye out for affordable .380 bullets and .38 cal bullets but have pretty much resigned myself to the fact I need to start casting my own.

Thankfully I'm well stocked on .22 LR and picked up an LCR in .22 a while back.

And then there's always dry fire! 🙂

• Like 1

I began trying to find some components for a new 10mm acquisition-found brass-hardcast bullets and a couple of ammo boxes at Midway.

Also 2 boxes of factory 10mm 180gr FMJ for $30.00 a box-from AmmoLand-and the rest I have so I kinda lucked into everything else.

I already reload for .40 Short and Weak so I mostly had everything else.