Survival Knife

Alright, confession time, who here, has walked into Harbor Freight and saw this knife, for $9.99 and walked out with it? I’m sure there are more than just me.

I purchased this some 10 years ago and it’s never been used. I’m sure it would make a fantastic light crowbar. And the sheath must be the crappiest of all time! Anyone that purchased it, actually use it to perform a task of any kind?

e0tmWmr.jpg?1

Edited by Moped
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Admin Team

That reminds me of those cheap Rambo copies from the back of Boy’s Life in the ‘80s. 

I remember a buddy of mine tried to whack a wild grape vine with it. He was so disappointed - and we laughed so hard when the blade just broke off the handle because it had no tang. It didn’t even really do any damage to the vine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I picked up one that looks like that at a gunshow at teh Nashville fairgrounds years ago.  Mine came with some stuff stowed in the handle, fishing line, hooks, etc...I never used it but i still have it somewhere...maybe in the car emergency kit.  My go to fixed blade though is a Gerber  LMF II Infantry.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hipower said:

Actually I was planning on dropping by today. Always fun to do while the wife is in Publix.

I went and got one.  Did some hacking and sawing on a log.  So far, so good.

For $8.73 after coupon and tax it will make a fine “truck knife”.  🤪

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, Moped said:

Alright, confession time, who here, has walked into Harbor Freight and saw this knife, for $9.99 and walked out with it? I’m sure there are more than just me.

I purchased this some 10 years ago and it’s never been used. I’m sure it would make a fantastic light crowbar. And the sheath must be the crappiest of all time! Anyone that purchased it, actually use it to perform a task of any kind?

e0tmWmr.jpg?1

Knives are not prying tools. 

Especially the ones without tang. 

Food Spice GIF by Rhett and Link

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Defender said:

I picked up one that looks like that at a gunshow at teh Nashville fairgrounds years ago.  Mine came with some stuff stowed in the handle, fishing line, hooks, etc...I never used it but i still have it somewhere...maybe in the car emergency kit.  My go to fixed blade though is a Gerber  LMF II Infantry.

This one had all that too. I have no idea where it all went though.

5 hours ago, Garufa said:

I went and got one.  Did some hacking and sawing on a log.  So far, so good.

For $8.73 after coupon and tax it will make a fine “truck knife”.  🤪

So it didn’t break or anything! Maybe it might earn it’s way into the truck... just not sure I can get past that sheath.

52 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Knives are not prying tools. 

Especially the ones without tang. 

Food Spice GIF by Rhett and Link

You’ve never used a butter knife as a pry bar or a screw driver? 😳

And I didn’t refer to this magnificent beast as a pry bar. I called it a light crowbar. 😆

• Like 1

My Dad bought about a dozen of the black and camo ones when I was a kid. He took them to work and sharpened them up in the machine shop. I cut down many a sapling with the saw back. I still have a black one somewhere plus a blade for one I found and improvised a handle for. 

Best knife I ever had was a kbar knockoff my Papaw found beside the road. Dad still carries it to hunt. In fact we field dressed my deer last December with it. That thing takes a dang nice edge. Blade looks almost Damascus from the staining of the rust that was on it. 

• Like 3

If you guys think that one looks cool, you should see the ones that my dealer cost is $3.00 for I actually put one in the order from one of my distributors, when I put it in my Wicked Edge jaws, clamped down and started with the 100 grit diamond stone, it started coming apart LOL they are absolute junk probably made out of sardine cans steel from Pakistan 

Edited by willis68
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, Nemo said:

Several times I've contemplated buying one, drilling thru-holes, and sliding onto an oak broom stick with a JB Welded bolt for an ad hoc spear because reasons. But I haven't. Yet.

This might be the most useful thing you could do with them! 

• Like 2