Recommendations pertaining to GMRS COMM’s for family unit

Greetings,

I need good and useful counsel concerning GMRS systems. My daughter and son-in-law live in Northern Virginia and my two GKids are away at  different schools 300 miles from home ( Norfolk and Blacksburg VA). Home is a free-standing and separate house. I am interested in a “base unit and three mobile units which will talk with home from school. I know it is a long way and a HAM System is not in immediate future.
Can anyone recommend (make and model number) of a device/system that will accomplish the task as close as possible?

Regards

Follow Me (aka Col C)

• Moderators

Consumer level stuff (either FRS or GMRS) is at most "rated" at 30 miles give or take, but that’s under the most ideal situation (line of sight, zero interference, nose wiggled in the right direction). 

You’d be extremely lucky to get 2 miles in most terrain around here. 

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Like 2

You can file for the GMRS license online in a few days print it out. No tests required, just a fee. Any family members in your household can use them with just the one license. So if you want, apply now.

As 'spock mentioned, you'll never be able to go 300 miles. If it could, receiving parties would also need their own license.

Start studying up for your ham license. A lot of the material is online. Once you get it, it will be good for 10 years and just renew it. It's also only for the individual. But again, receiving parties will need their own individual license.

Wouldn't it be easier just to use cell phones? There are a lot of variables with radios. 

Mr GSpock, Mr BHunted, Mr CShoes and Mr M A,

I thank each of you for expending your valuable time in responding to my situation/comment. I bow to your expertise and technical knowledge and I appreciate your well made points. And I agree with what you say. GMRS  will not do the job. Ham system will but with major expenditure of learn time per each. Sat Phone is GoTo device when SHTF and after cell phones are toast. 
I thank each of you again.

Regards

Follow Me aka Col C

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

I am no expert on this subject, but do we know positively that a Sat phone will work in a SHTF?? Even Hams may not work if an emp caused the shtf and the radio equip weren't protected. Just my $0.02

I’m not an expert either, but it is my understanding that they rely on distribution equipment on the  ground that requires electrical power.

• Moderators

You could have portable HAM, something like a "walkie talkie" that runs off batteries. If it and the batteries were protected from an EMP, they'd work.

Of course, if it is a bigger setup and you don't have a generator, etc, no power means no power.

HAM can communicate within a certain distance by themselves. However, they also have repeaters setup on mountaintops, etc. If those don't have power, then I suppose they wouldn't work.

I'm no expert, I don't use HAM and don't have a license. I work with a guy that does. I'm sure someone here can chime in with infinitely more knowledge than this.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, GlockSpock said:

You could have portable HAM, something like a "walkie talkie" that runs off batteries. If it and the batteries were protected from an EMP, they'd work.

Of course, if it is a bigger setup and you don't have a generator, etc, no power means no power.

HAM can communicate within a certain distance by themselves. However, they also have repeaters setup on mountaintops, etc. If those don't have power, then I suppose they wouldn't work.

I'm no expert, I don't use HAM and don't have a license. I work with a guy that does. I'm sure someone here can chime in with infinitely more knowledge than this.

All ham bands don't require repeaters to achieve distance.   HF commonly talks around the world transceiver to transceiver.   UHF and VHF require conditions to be right to achieve any kind of distance to rival HF but it can be done.   What you are talking about with the repeaters is your more local 2m guys.   It's the entry level license and really allows a lot.   

Also, a lot of hams dabble in battery power for their setups.   They have the equipment to just need a car battery for power. 

Mr Cbyrd

Thank you for your response.
I did a fair bit of researching/considering of aSatphone and an  entry level HAM unit.   
Both are going to be expensive in learn time and money. And I am already behind the power curve due to senior age status. I have forwarded my findings to my daughter for her action. 
Hate to admit it but this is “ old dog and new trick stuff”

Regards

Follow Me