Weatherby Mark V - Assessment for Widow

Lumber_Jack

Short backstory, my cousin passed away last year of colon cancer at the age of 45.  He left behind a wife and two young daughters.  He was an avid hunter and his father was able to sell most of the guns he had with the exception of this one.  I assume due to its high value most locals looking at adds in the bulletin board just aren't looking for this quality and expense.  So my question is, where would you all expect it to sell price wise.  I'm thinking about purchasing the gun myself to then resell.  This would get the money to his wife and kids that need it most and then I could resell and not be in a rush.  But I can't really afford to take a big loss, so opinions of price and how easily you think it would sell here on the board.  This gun has only been fired to sight in scope and shoot one antelope.  Less than 10 rounds total fired.  

Main questions are 

1) separate scope and gun for easier sale?

2) is price too high, if so what's reasonable ask?

They're asking $2,500 obo 

Weatherby Mark V - Ultralight 26" 300 Wby Magnum, stainless fluted barrel - New Price $2,500

Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 - New Price $875, discontinued available on amazon for $480

Share thoughts please

Weatherby 2.jpg

Weatherby 3.jpg

Weatherby 4.jpg

Weatherby 5.jpg

Weatherby 6.jpg

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Update model
  • Like 2

@Lumber_Jack are there any local (to them) gun shops that would sell it on one of the auction sites for a fee?

They might still come out ahead by paying that fee and having it in front of a large audience than by taking the hit to move it locally.

It's a very nice setup, especially for shooting in the western US.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

@Lumber_Jack are there any local (to them) gun shops that would sell it on one of the auction sites for a fee?

They might still come out ahead by paying that fee and having it in front of a large audience than by taking the hit to move it locally.

It's a very nice setup, especially for shooting in the western US.

That's certainly a good option and I will check.  I'm not sure.  I've been looking at Armslist nationwide and it seems these guns are being listed for less than they are asking.  

That his a great hunting rifle but they are asking too much.  There is a much smaller market for that level of hunting rifle.  Best bet would probably be to list it on Gunbroker with a starting bid of $1950 and see if it sells.  The scope being a discontinued model really hurts the value.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That his a great hunting rifle but they are asking too much.  There is a much smaller market for that level of hunting rifle.  Best bet would probably be to list it on Gunbroker with a starting bid of $1950 and see if it sells.  The scope being a discontinued model really hurts the value.

Thanks for the input, I agree. I’m finding the same thing looking around. Yeah, sad part is I think he paid almost $900 for the scope new

38 minutes ago, nightrunner said:

That quality level of hunting rifle would be hard to move in a standard caliber, but .300 WBY MAG? I think that’s going to be a tough sell to anyone that doesn’t hunt out west.

That's my fear as well.  If you're not shooting long range or elk, or elk at long range most don't want that beast of a caliber

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

That's certainly a good option and I will check.  I'm not sure.  I've been looking at Armslist nationwide and it seems these guns are being listed for less than they are asking.  

Armslist is worth looking at, but not the end all. If you don't have a gunbroker account, set one up and look for *completed* auctions to get a sense of value. You can also sell there without an FFL if you're so inclined.

If you really feel the scope is a hindrance and you could use it, maybe it's worth just buying that part of the package yourself?

• Like 1
On 10/10/2020 at 2:05 PM, Pickaroon said:

Sell scope and rifle separately. ETA: even if the scope is discontinued it’s still a Leupold.

This ^^.  You will get more money.  Most people who are interested in the rifle will put their own scope on it so they won't be willing to give you the value of the rifle and the scope together.  You have to throw in the scope for free because they are going to put it up on a shelf and put a swaro, kahles, or nightforce on it. I am not sure where you got the $2500 from but the rifle is listing brand new on the weatherby website for $1999 and are listed on gunbroker for as low as $1750.   Maybe I am looking at the wrong model.  I would try and get $1500 for the rifle.  List it either on gunbroker or perhaps another hunting website that people who hunt out west use like the long range hunting website.  List the scope on here or some other shooting/hunting forum for $350 maybe $400 or even better list on ebay with a starting bid of $350 and see how high it goes.

Edited by JimFromTN
  • Like 1
On 10/16/2020 at 2:33 PM, JimFromTN said:

This ^^.  You will get more money.  Most people who are interested in the rifle will put their own scope on it so they won't be willing to give you the value of the rifle and the scope together.  You have to throw in the scope for free because they are going to put it up on a shelf and put a swaro, kahles, or nightforce on it. I am not sure where you got the $2500 from but the rifle is listing brand new on the weatherby website for $1999 and are listed on gunbroker for as low as $1750.   Maybe I am looking at the wrong model.  I would try and get $1500 for the rifle.  List it either on gunbroker or perhaps another hunting website that people who hunt out west use like the long range hunting website.  List the scope on here or some other shooting/hunting forum for $350 maybe $400 or even better list on ebay with a starting bid of $350 and see how high it goes.

I actually think its an ultralight not an Accumark, that was my mistake.  My uncle purchased it and quoted the $2499 new price.  

I agree with all the other statements and appreciate your input