So what is 9MM really selling for on secondary market

3 hours ago, Raoul said:

Be sure to remember them when this is over. Someone should start a thread so that we can remember these exemplary retailers who take advantage of us in bad times.

Which of the following are they doing?

1) Pricing it higher than anyone will pay, because they like to have it for sale but want to keep it for themselves, or

2) Pricing at what the market thinks it's worth, and perhaps what it's worth to them to give it up?

I have a few boxes of both calibers, but it's not worth it to me to sell them at the prices from a year ago because it's what I have and I might have a hard time replacing them.   Heck, I don't think I'd sell them for even what that retailer is selling them for.  Am I taking advantage of others by refusing to sell 9mm at $0.15 per?  

Very confused by the communistic mentality in this thread and elsewhere.   I wasn't alive 60 years ago when we actually fought communists, but I assume in that day and age there was a stigma associated to this line of thinking.

It often seems that folks forget that whatever business is in question is an INDIVIDUAL with INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS just the same as the person ranting about the prices.    At what point short of communism does the person upset about the price have a right (legal OR moral) to set the price at which the seller is willing to part with his possessions?     While the banter here didn't explicitly state the guy should have to lower his price, it's clearly expressed that he's doing others wrong by selling at a price that works for private parties making transactions.  What if the guy didn't raise his prices to a point he felt good about selling, and just kept his stock instead of selling it at under-market prices... prices at which he'd rather keep it?  Would that be a better outcome for anyone?

Edited by Guest
8 minutes ago, BlessTheUSA said:

Which of the following are they doing?

1) Pricing it higher than anyone will pay, because they like to have it for sale but want to keep it for themselves, or

2) Pricing at what the market thinks it's worth, and perhaps what it's worth to them to give it up?

I have a few boxes of both calibers, but it's not worth it to me to sell them at the prices from a year ago because it's what I have and I might have a hard time replacing them.   Heck, I don't think I'd sell them for even what that retailer is selling them for.  Am I taking advantage of others by refusing to sell 9mm at $0.15 per?  

Very confused by the communistic mentality in this thread and elsewhere.   I wasn't alive 60 years ago when we actually fought communists, but I assume in that day and age there was a stigma associated to this line of thinking.

It often seems that folks forget that whatever business is in question is an INDIVIDUAL with INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS just the same as the person ranting about the prices.    At what point short of communism does the person upset about the price have a right (legal OR moral) to set the price at which the seller is willing to part with his possessions?     What if the guy just kept his stock instead of selling it at under-market prices... prices at which he'd rather keep it?  Would that be a better outcome for anyone?

I don't buy ammo. Price gouging has happened in the past, is happening now, and will happen in the future.

I'll also say this. Any seasoned shooter who has an ammo shortage doesn't plan for the future.

Please take your unprepared individual rights and buy all the ammo I might have used.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Raoul said:

I don't buy ammo. Price gouging has happened in the past, is happening now, and will happen in the future.

I'll also say this. Any seasoned shooter who has an ammo shortage doesn't plan for the future.

Please take your unprepared individual rights and buy all the ammo I might have used.

What is the problem with this?   Literal question.   Will you sell me some at $0.15 given you have a stockpile?

I'm not clear what the difference is between said retailer and Raoul. 

I don't have much more to say - so no response even needed.   Just reminding folks that the retailer is just a guy or gal like the rest of us and decides at what point they are willing to sell an item, like the rest of us.

Edit to add:   I have no affiliation with said retailer or any others.   

Edited by Guest

I don't know the retailer that was mentioned above, but I'd bet they are more than likely a nice person / people, who would help someone in need similar to the way others might.  

But it's important to remember that they are running a business, not a charity, and that is a GOOD thing. 

Small except from Atlas Shrugged (trilogy) based on the book. 

9 hours ago, alleycat72 said:

Well at least I have plenty of 380 for the one gun I have in 380. LOL 

I have three 380s now, which is odd, because I used to hate the caliber! 😄 I could use some ball ammo for them all.  Got plenty of SD ammo, though, so I'm not worried too bad about it.

I was able to purchase four boxes of 9mm 115gr FMJ last week at $25 a box.  That's not something I normally would do,  I have a decent stockpile. But that was the cheapest price I've seen lately, so I decided to hop on it.  I would do it again too, if I get the chance. 

I've been watching Harvey's auction off boxes of ammunition.  He starts off with a decent price for today's market, usually about $20 for a box of 50 9mm FMJ.  And it ends up selling for $60 or $70, with a bunch of people bidding.  And then I see other people accusing him of price gouging because it goes so high on auction.  To me that's not him, that's the buyers that willing to pay that much.  Of course, I think it could be newbie gun owners that desperate for any ammunition to feed their new purchase.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Darrell said:

Or to state it another way, "I've given you my opinion, I'm uninterested in yours." 😄

Not intended that way.   Just felt this starting to go in circles.   Responses are certainly fine - but was not actively soliciting one.   Apologies for that being phrased in a way that could indeed have meant what you said.  

Reply to the OP, as much as they can get for it. Unfortunately that is the way it works. If one thinks a box of 50 9mm fmj's are worth $50 and someone else thinks they are worth $100, the first guy with the $50 isn't going to have any ammo until he coughs up enough cash to outbid the guy with $100.

• Like 1