Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Is CCW allowed in Nashville parks, particularly the Warner parks?  I know the state passed some laws a few years back, but the big cities were challenging it, and I don’t see clear reporting on the outcome of the various legal battles. Has it all shaken out yet?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder too, I think it is ok, but not sure.  Seems tome that there is a caveat about if school is at the park or something...

Link to post
Share on other sites

All public parks are legal to carry in except when a school sanctioned event is active.  Only exception I know is that Chilhowee Park is not a 'park' when the fair is held there.  ( i know, go figure).  This was in answer to a lawsuit filed by the city.  That gave cities a 'out' if LEO and wands are established at all public entrances.  I will look it up and provide reference.

TCA 39-17-1359  

Regarding school activities TCA 3-17-1311

Edited by chances R
Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this, but it may just muddy the waters...  😕

"From General Rules and Regulations
Park Police
Firearms are not permitted in any park managed by the Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation, hereafter referred to as the Board.
No hunting, trapping or killing of animals in any park.
No fires are permitted unless in designated fire pits or barbecue grills. Those fires must be maintained and supervised by an adult of 21 years of age or older."

This drives home the point to me that TN is in desperate need of State preemption in this area in addition to others.
Rate this post positively
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

I found this, but it may just muddy the waters...  😕

"From General Rules and Regulations
Park Police
Firearms are not permitted in any park managed by the Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation, hereafter referred to as the Board.
No hunting, trapping or killing of animals in any park.
No fires are permitted unless in designated fire pits or barbecue grills. Those fires must be maintained and supervised by an adult of 21 years of age or older."

This drives home the point to me that TN is in desperate need of State preemption in this area in addition to others.
Rate this post positively

We do have it. That’s the reason that that line has no actual force of law. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When the law was changed to allow carry in parks, one of the concessions made to get it passed was that existing signage did not have to be changed, because thst would cost money.  The owness is on the permit holder to know the laws (as it should be) and the signs could remain to keep the sheeple happy. 

Another concession was the wand loophole. If the entrances have wand stations set up, then a park isn't a park anymore and they can change the rules as they see fit. This one got challenged in the courts because of Chilhowee park in Knoxville but I dont know that it was really resolved, I think it got dropped because lawyers are expensive. 

The school activity thing is the strangest part as some parks are very big so who could know whats happening everywhere all the time?  I don't think it's ever been addressed. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

All great news!  I’m still learning TN statutes, obviously. I’m confused about the preemption thing because it seems not all facets of firearm regulation are reserved by the State. I’m glad this aspect is not controlled by local municipalities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, billyblazes said:

All great news!  I’m still learning TN statutes, obviously. I’m confused about the preemption thing because it seems not all facets of firearm regulation are reserved by the State. I’m glad this aspect is not controlled by local municipalities. 

The state does say that local governments can't override state laws, but that doesn't mean they don't do it anyway.  State law also functionally says its illegal to carry a gun everywhere, except where specifically stated otherwise. You'll notice wording something like "having a permit is a defense against carrying a handgun in a park ".  Instead of saying its legal to do that, the law says its illegal unless you have a permit. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peejman said:

The state does say that local governments can't override state laws, but that doesn't mean they don't do it anyway.  

From regularly reading here the one item I’m aware of where the State does not apparently exercise any authority is shooting on private land. I’m always reading of people asking “Is it legal to shoot on my property in...?”

The response always seems to be “Check with the local sheriff.”  I feel based on experiences I’m aware of, law enforcement is a terrible resource as to what is legal and what is not. So often I’ve seen LEO’s giving wrong information. When an actual State statute can be cited, or even a local ordinance can be referenced if the State doesn’t trump, that is authoritative. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billyblazes said:

From regularly reading here the one item I’m aware of where the State does not apparently exercise any authority is shooting on private land. I’m always reading of people asking “Is it legal to shoot on my property in...?”

The response always seems to be “Check with the local sheriff.”  I feel based on experiences I’m aware of, law enforcement is a terrible resource as to what is legal and what is not. So often I’ve seen LEO’s giving wrong information. When an actual State statute can be cited, or even a local ordinance can be referenced if the State doesn’t trump, that is authoritative. 

It's the same logic as arguing with the cops about if what you did was legal or not... theres no winning that. Best to just cooperate and let the lawyers sort it out later. Frustrating in the moment, but better than the alternative. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, peejman said:

The state does say that local governments can't override state laws, but that doesn't mean they don't do it anyway.  State law also functionally says its illegal to carry a gun everywhere, except where specifically stated otherwise. You'll notice wording something like "having a permit is a defense against carrying a handgun in a park ".  Instead of saying its legal to do that, the law says its illegal unless you have a permit. 

Ive always wondered why they word it that was, Its a defense against...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines