Lol that was a fun screw up to do with my AR accidently.

Tobashadow

Ok I can blame my back which has been on a pain scale of 8 out of 10 lately for this one.

I needed a distraction and decided to install the extended takedown and pivot pins on the AR pistol to match the new ones on the AR rifle.

I did the pivot pin no issue, went to do the rear pin and accidently turned my clevis pin to the hole side and heard ping as the detent went into permeant you can't get to me spot. Well crap time to put it in the vase and pull the buffer tube nut and back off the rear plate, no biggie just get it done. Pulled it and got it all put back on and tight and the brace back on the tube, checked the pins out for movement and installed the upper back on and racked the charging handle and went well that didn't feel right and ohhhh crap.

I forgot to install the buffer and buffer spring back in the lower聽馃槅

Shake shake shake shake rattle rattle and there wo go far enough that the forward assist can move it forward into battery.聽馃檮

10 hours ago, Raoul said:

I had a sear issue once that made for an interesting and surprising discharge.

9 hours ago, BHunted said:

Sear broke in a Browning HIPower I had years ago and it went full auto. Scared the ####e out of me.

8 hours ago, Tobashadow said:

20 years go i聽had a sks do a slam fire with a full mag lol

6412a66c313a5d1f782313bc76e39220--nd-amendment

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, nightrunner said:

ATF has sent people to prison because they ruled a shoestring or a paper clip was an unregistered machine gun. They have earned the reputation they have.

...and what does that have to do with a broken sears or malfunctions? Nothing here indicated it was done on purpose. Everything mentioned can聽legitimately happen. As it has happened to me once in my life. There are plenty of true stories of it聽across a good spectrum of gun models. You screw with your gun purposely, you get what you deserve. But I see no comments here that indicate they screwed with their guns to make it go full auto. ####e happens. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Or you are happy the outcome was not a bad one where someone got hurt of died.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, BHunted said:

...and what does that have to do with a broken sears or malfunctions? Nothing here indicated it was done on purpose. Everything mentioned can聽legitimately happen. As it has happened to me once in my life. There are plenty of true stories of it聽across a good spectrum of gun models. You screw with your gun purposely, you get what you deserve. But I see no comments here that indicate they screwed with their guns to make it go full auto. ####e happens. Sometimes you learn the hard way. Or you are happy the outcome was not a bad one where someone got hurt of died.

The ATF has also prosecuted folks for malfunctioning firearms. (See the Olofson case.)聽They don鈥檛 care if it was intentional or a malfunction. A聽machine gun is a machine gun and they will prosecute you for it after having it tested by their Firearms Technology Branch using unwritten and unreleased criteria to ensure that the proper result is achieved.聽

Their reputation is聽well deserved after spending decades earning it.聽

• Like 3
19 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The ATF has also prosecuted folks for malfunctioning firearms. (See the Olofson case.)聽They don鈥檛 care if it was intentional or a malfunction. A聽machine gun is a machine gun and they will prosecute you for it after having it tested by their Firearms Technology Branch using unwritten and unreleased criteria to ensure that the proper result is achieved.聽

Their reputation is聽well deserved after spending decades earning it.聽

Not buying that example. Just read the case. Seems to me it was purposely done. Not by accident or a faulty part. One way or another, being prosecuted and even having charges stick are slim to none for a broken sear. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning. When mine broke, I made the gun safe, packed it away and brought it directly to the gunsmith. Wasn't dumb enough to keep trying it because I knew something was wrong.
In the many decades I've been shooting, I've seen and heard of quite a few sears breaking or even someone that had no idea what they were doing, trying to file down the sear to lessen the trigger pull, etc.聽I believe it can even be more imminent today with some of the cheap parts used unlike many years ago where a lot of products were made by hand.
The above post depicting that this could be used by the ATF as being used in a case it ludicrous. Why point that out in that context? It's not amusing in todays 2A environment. It just draws problems...

FTR:聽https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Olofson