Question about Covid ??

bersaguy

I know they keep posting huge numbers of new Covid cases daily but my question is when a person tests for it do they actually have the virus and if so why are the hospitals not over run with sick people? Can a person have the virus and not really be sick?  I also hear about people be tested and show positive but are just told to self quarantine at home for 14 days and get retested.  Is it not more or less a false number of actual active cases they are posting if they say 500 people tested positive yet they send 490 of them home to self quarantine there is actually only 10 real cases that required to be in a the hospital? I mean the authorities are using the 500 number to keep many businesses closed when the true active cases is 10. I welcome any responses to explain this to me!!

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I know they keep posting huge numbers of new Covid cases daily but my question is when a person tests for it do they actually have the virus and if so why are the hospitals not over run with sick people? Can a person have the virus and not really be sick?  I also hear about people be tested and show positive but are just told to self quarantine at home for 14 days and get retested.  Is it not more or less a false number of actual active cases they are posting if they say 500 people tested positive yet they send 490 of them home to self quarantine there is actually only 10 real cases that required to be in a the hospital? I mean the authorities are using the 500 number to keep many businesses closed when the true active cases is 10. I welcome any responses to explain this to me!!

Most people that have it don’t require hospitalization. You can test positive and be asymptomatic. I doubt Trump would have gone to the hospital had he not been President. On the other hand, you can get it and die.

Because of the Politics and the money involved I doubt we will ever know for sure what the numbers are, or why specific people want to manipulate the numbers. My wife works at a large company and the number of people testing positive is remaining steady.

To me its like gun safety, I’m not afraid of it, but I treat it with respect and practice precautions and safety.

• Like 6

Good luck finding anything resembling truth in today’s society. I’ve heard so much contradictory information regarding Covid that I seriously doubt all of it.

It seems to be more of a political tool to bludgeon us with rather than a deadly virus.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

doug, that's what I've been questioning all along. But as DaveTN says, I guess we will never know the actual truth on all of this.

Politicians on all sides have used thes numbers and questions to suit themselves. Just as Polls are slanted to make a point of view, so are these case numbers for Covid.

I believe that all we will ever know is that there was/is a virus. It is contagious and passed by several means. It's nowhere as deadly across the population as some would have us believe. And we have all be taken for a deadly and devastating ride in the last 9 months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Good luck finding anything resembling truth in today’s society. I’ve heard so much contradictory information regarding Covid that I seriously doubt all of it.

It seems to be more of a political tool to bludgeon us with rather than a deadly virus.

Buddy, you got in seconds before I posted, but I like the way you stated it more.

• Like 1

I don’t have an answer for you. I don’t think the politicians on either side have a clue. Their focus as usual is on money. I do trust that through trial and error the scientists are trying their best to solve this virus. Like others have mentioned, I don’t believe we will ever know the true number of infections or Covid-19 related deaths.

I don’t hold a grudge against people who don’t believe we have a real issue, but I wish they and the people who believe it’s a common courtesy to wear a mask would stop bashing one another. It’s like arguing politics and religion, nothing gets accomplished. 

Last night I was touched for the fifth time since February by this horrible virus. One individual had a week long hospitalization and recovered. One individual had a multi week hospitalization and recovered. He was featured on a local news story.  One individual showed symptoms and had to quarantine for two before testing negative. One individual died last month. It broke my heart.  The final individual passed last night.  Two friends and three relatives. It’s like liking in a dream. 

It’s puzzling to me that not everyone in the country aren’t willing to make a few sacrifices for a short amount of time to see if we can starve this virus out of existence. It’s embarrassing to think that we are a country that considers itself a world leader, but the best we can come up with to fight this virus is a Hail Mary try at herd immunity. 

I believe like everything else, our level of concern for the virus is based upon how much it touches each of us as individuals.  

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Links2k said:

I don’t have an answer for you. I don’t think the politicians on either side have a clue. Their focus as usual is on money. I do trust that through trial and error the scientists are trying their best to solve this virus. Like others have mentioned, I don’t believe we will ever know the true number of infections or Covid-19 related deaths.

I don’t hold a grudge against people who don’t believe we have a real issue, but I wish they and the people who believe it’s a common courtesy to wear a mask would stop bashing one another. It’s like arguing politics and religion, nothing gets accomplished. 

Last night I was touched for the fifth time since February by this horrible virus. One individual had a week long hospitalization and recovered. One individual had a multi week hospitalization and recovered. He was featured on a local news story.  One individual showed symptoms and had to quarantine for two before testing negative. One individual died last month. It broke my heart.  The final individual passed last night.  Two friends and three relatives. It’s like liking in a dream. 

It’s puzzling to me that not everyone in the country aren’t willing to make a few sacrifices for a short amount of time to see if we can starve this virus out of existence. It’s embarrassing to think that we are a country that considers itself a world leader, but the best we can come up with to fight this virus is a Hail Mary try at herd immunity. 

I believe like everything else, our level of concern for the virus is based upon how much it touches each of us as individuals.  

What do you consider a few sacrifices and what do you consider a short amount of time?

The entire country did that when we were told to lock everything down for 15 days to flatten the curve. Then it was 21 days, then a month. There are still parts of the country that are as locked down as we here in TN were at the beginning. If you recall, the purpose of flattening the curve was so that we would not all overwhelm the healthcare system, as the “science” showed a couple million people dying within months. In reality, the healthcare system then laid off who knows how many nurses and staff across the country because no one would come near a hospital, clinic, or Doctor’s office unless they were actually dying. My wife was one of 130ish laid off at her hospital. She was fortunate enough to get to go back to work after a couple months but about 90 personnel (many who had been working at that hospital for 15-20 years and were some of the highest paid employees aside from the Doctors) did not get to go back to work. This same healthcare system is making money hand over fist from federal COVID funding. At the front lines of healthcare the majority of the Nurses and staff, and maybe even a few of the Doctors care about their patients. But a hospital is a business whose primary purpose is to make as much money as it can, and the administrators that run them care about the business first not the patients or the employees. When you wrap your head around that, and around the way most politicians on all sides are grappling for power and control, it not really that hard to see why COVID is still such a big scary thing, despite the actual data we now have saying otherwise. COVID is certainly real and certainly dangerous to certain demographics, I don’t think any sane person is suggesting otherwise. But I think people are waking up and starting to get pretty pissed about the lies and oppression being placed on them about a virus that is primarily effecting those that are already one foot in the grave.

All that being said Links, I’m truly sorry and saddened about the loss of your family and friends. 

• Like 6

Well, I want to thank all of you for your opinions and Links, I am very sorry for your loses to this. I don't go out a lot because my family, Daughter and Son in law goes out everyday to work and they do all my shopping and picking up my meds at pharmacy. My house is well stocked on about everything I would need for a couple months if need be but I still have them pick up things for me to add to my stock pile. Better to have to much than not enough I guess. 

• Like 4

My condolences and prayers, Links, for the loss of your family members and friends. I, and my family have been blessed not to have any such losses.

Danger Rane makes some very good points in his comments. Those that are questioned by many of the population...such as the economics of the medical system and how it has been affected and tested by this Covid threat.

Like Danger Rane, I have commented many times on my thoughts of the Corvid 19 and how much of this country, and the world , have been changed by it.

I personally don't think the political responses have been necessary. If it had been entirely as a medical issue, and treated as such, I think we would all have been better off.

Yes there have been, and are still dangers from this virus; but the danger from political reactions and  using the whole thing for gains in power is the worst part. jmo

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well, I want to thank all of you for your opinions and Links, I am very sorry for your loses to this. I don't go out a lot because my family, Daughter and Son in law goes out everyday to work and they do all my shopping and picking up my meds at pharmacy. My house is well stocked on about everything I would need for a couple months if need be but I still have them pick up things for me to add to my stock pile. Better to have to much than not enough I guess. 

While I do 99% of all our shopping needs, and anything else that comes up; like you buddy, I have tried to add items to the larder when I get a chance.

My wife has always thought me a bit off, may be right in that; because I've always been one who buys more than necessary when shopping. My family was always the sort to have food canned or dried and stored. They went thru the Depression years and were influenced by it greatly. But back on point, I have a few cases of foods put back, and lots of canned meats, peanut butter(family staple...lol), and whatever else we use.

Not near as much as I'd like, but trying.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hipower said:

While I do 99% of all our shopping needs, and anything else that comes up; like you buddy, I have tried to add items to the larder when I get a chance.

My wife has always thought me a bit off, may be right in that; because I've always been one who buys more than necessary when shopping. My family was always the sort to have food canned or dried and stored. They went thru the Depression years and were influenced by it greatly. But back on point, I have a few cases of foods put back, and lots of canned meats, peanut butter(family staple...lol), and whatever else we use.

Not near as much as I'd like, but trying.

My mom, who lived through the depression as a child, and later became a single parent raising 2 kids alone, taught me to conserve and stockpile when you can.  The prepping concept added fuel to that, but alas, I never made much headway. However, the single area I was good at was in toilet paper.  Lol.  We prefer Scot or Scot type generics and  only because i hate other brands/styles, I always keep a couple huge pkgs in reserve.  So when the \drought' hit, I did break down and but a big pkg or two of whatever was available when it was, but still only keep that for emergencies and still only use my beloved Scot! If i could only get that good with food and water items...

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Defender said:

My mom, who lived through the depression as a child, and later became a single parent raising 2 kids alone, taught me to conserve and stockpile when you can.  The prepping concept added fuel to that, but alas, I never made much headway. However, the single area I was good at was in toilet paper.  Lol.  We prefer Scot or Scot type generics and  only because i hate other brands/styles, I always keep a couple huge pkgs in reserve.  So when the \drought' hit, I did break down and but a big pkg or two of whatever was available when it was, but still only keep that for emergencies and still only use my beloved Scot! If i could only get that good with food and water items...

Far be it from me to give advice. But just start. I have a few cases of TP, Paper Towels, baby wipes, and some cleaning supplies put back. I have some Clorox concentrate, but wish I'd bought several cases of the wipes when I could have.

Food? Well, that's another issue. Enough in the freezer for a couple to 3 weeks, baring power outages. About that much in good canned goods...meats, beans, and some fruits. Really need more on all those.

A few propane bottles for the grill. Need more of those as well. Don't have anything in the way of a camp stove or small heater. I believe that should be remedied asap.

A couple cases of MRE's(wife hates them...lol) and a small amount of the survival bars...lifeboat rations they used to be called. I like them actually, but again...a nope for my wife. I think I'll get 1/2 cases more of them at least. 

Not a lot. My excuse was that living in a flood area, I didn't want to lose it all...again. My supplies were useless in 2010 and 2013 flooding here. And I really didn't like a storage location. 

If we had moved 5 years ago, things would have been different. I'd be a hoarder/survivalist like you would not believe! Alas, we didn't. Now lack of money and physical limitations make it a good bet that we will never move. I don't mind that, just wish we were on a higher elevation. You know, where you can get a good sightline on those slow climbers.

Sadly, I believe we are better prepared than most of our neighbors. And that is REALLY sad and stupid. People just don't seem to think about where all that food in the grocery comes from...nor how fast it disappears. Nor how long it might be getting replaced.

From my perspective, I say we'd be ok for 2/3 months, barring a major calamity of social, or weather related conditions. 

I should have taken those shop and Home Econ classes back in HS. Would be hopefully a bit better prepared.

• Like 1

I have a good supply of paper goods as when they go to Sam's I buy everything in case lots. I know one thing I don't think anyone can have enough of and that is Ramen noodles. I have 6 cases of them,4 Chicken and 2 Beef and will get more of them soon. They are a good meal or can be used to make other meals with. Unlike You Larry I do have a camp stove that operates on the 2lb propane bottles and I have a dozen bottles but planning on getting more of them. I also have a Gun Smoke style coffee pot but mine does have a strainer in it for grounds. I also do have a gas grill with five 20 lb bottles and 1 40 lb bottle to operate the grill on. I also have a Propane heater I can use to heat my house with if need to and have one 100 lb tank just for it if needed. I have been prepping ever since I moved here over a year ago as I don't have the convenience of being close to a town out here. My Daughter and son in law have began stocking also so between the 2 houses we should be good for quite a while if need be.

• Like 1

Ramen Noodles! Dang! I didn't think of that. Really. Will get some next trip.

Been thinking about adding more beans, white and pinto, bagged. Not really sure how to store them. Locktite containers? Rubbermaid?  And add a few more bags of rice.

11 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have a good supply of paper goods as when they go to Sam's I buy everything in case lots. I know one thing I don't think anyone can have enough of and that is Ramen noodles. I have 6 cases of them,4 Chicken and 2 Beef and will get more of them soon. They are a good meal or can be used to make other meals with. Unlike You Larry I do have a camp stove that operates on the 2lb propane bottles and I have a dozen bottles but planning on getting more of them. I also have a Gun Smoke style coffee pot but mine does have a strainer in it for grounds. I also do have a gas grill with five 20 lb bottles and 1 40 lb bottle to operate the grill on. I also have a Propane heater I can use to heat my house with if need to and have one 100 lb tank just for it if needed. I have been prepping ever since I moved here over a year ago as I don't have the convenience of being close to a town out here. My Daughter and son in law have began stocking also so between the 2 houses we should be good for quite a while if need be.

Sounds like you are well stocked. You are probably already aware of it, but in case you are not you might look into an adapter that allows you to refill your 2lb propane tanks from your 40lb. I have about 10 of the 2lb bottles, and refill them whenever I get about 5 empty. There are a plethora of YouTube videos that show how to accomplish this safely. I think I bought the adapter off amazon for $16. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hipower said:

Been thinking about adding more beans, white and pinto, bagged. Not really sure how to store them. Locktite containers? Rubbermaid?  And add a few more bags of rice.

Vacuum seal them.  Any dry foodstuffs benefit from airtight storage.  Even other things.

i2KNEkW.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

Sounds like you are well stocked. You are probably already aware of it, but in case you are not you might look into an adapter that allows you to refill your 2lb propane tanks from your 40lb. I have about 10 of the 2lb bottles, and refill them whenever I get about 5 empty. There are a plethora of YouTube videos that show how to accomplish this safely. I think I bought the adapter off amazon for $16. 

I got one of the cheap ones, used it a couple years, and they worked ok.  Then found instructions to build a better one, with shutoff valve.  But, I've tried to purchase adapters for propane appliances to run off 20lb cylinders, much more convenient. My heater gets the most use, 

• Like 1

Since this thread is mostly about prepping and I haven't seen a mention of it yet, I'll add this.

Get a solar panel and a charge controller that will allow you to dial in the desired output. I use this to power my driveway gate. I saw one on Amazon that has USB charging ports built in. 

Next, get rechargeable batteries and a universal charger for AA and AAA. Eneloop are typically the best, but I have some Amazon Basics as well.  I also have a charger for 18650 batteries. 

An inverter to run anything 110v electric you might need for short periods of time. 

Download every survival book you can find. Lots are free online. 

Download local GPS and terrain maps so you can access them offline. 

Candles. Matches. 

Water purifier (unscented Chlorox). 

Emergency supply of essential medications. 

Emergency supply of COVID treatment supplements for entire family: vitamins D3 and C, zinc, melatonin, Pepcid. 

FWIW, I think a generator is a bad idea unless you have a fortified compound. If the SHTF, then the sound and lights will attract people who assume, correctly, that you have more than they do and some of those people won't hesitate to use violence to take it from you. 

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, hipower said:

Dried beans will keep for years if stored in a cool, dry space (with no critters).  As mentioned, vacuum sealing extends that even further. 

14 minutes ago, peejman said:

Dried beans will keep for years if stored in a cool, dry space (with no critters).  As mentioned, vacuum sealing extends that even further. 

If your vacuum sealer has a canning jar adapter you can vacuum seal just about anything without crushing it. (Tried egg noodles in a bag,....... bad idea) You can open the jar and use what you need, then reseal it using the same lid.

I place an oxygen absorber in my jars before vacuuming and I imagine they will be good long after I'm gone.

Edited by xsubsailor
  • Like 1
50 minutes ago, peejman said:

My garage is the only available space for large bulk(y) storage. We have had a continuing battle with mice for years. The little suckers can get thru a pinhole I think.

Thought about 5 gallon food storage cans, but wonder if they'd chew thru them. Metal cans and add a sealing wax?

I'm pretty sure the tubs that online sellers like we see shipping in, would be questionable.

Edited by hipower
1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

Since this thread is mostly about prepping and I haven't seen a mention of it yet, I'll add this.

Get a solar panel and a charge controller that will allow you to dial in the desired output. I use this to power my driveway gate. I saw one on Amazon that has USB charging ports built in. 

Next, get rechargeable batteries and a universal charger for AA and AAA. Eneloop are typically the best, but I have some Amazon Basics as well.  I also have a charger for 18650 batteries. 

An inverter to run anything 110v electric you might need for short periods of time. 

Download every survival book you can find. Lots are free online. 

Download local GPS and terrain maps so you can access them offline. 

Candles. Matches. 

Water purifier (unscented Chlorox). 

Emergency supply of essential medications. 

Emergency supply of COVID treatment supplements for entire family: vitamins D3 and C, zinc, melatonin, Pepcid. 

FWIW, I think a generator is a bad idea unless you have a fortified compound. If the SHTF, then the sound and lights will attract people who assume, correctly, that you have more than they do and some of those people won't hesitate to use violence to take it from you. 

Generator comments are something I've pondered over for years. As beneficial as they are, It's like waving a flag and yelling come get me.

7 hours ago, hipower said:

Generator comments are something I've pondered over for years. As beneficial as they are, It's like waving a flag and yelling come get me.

Not necessarily,  I have a small 2k, cheap one, that is surprisingly quite.  I'm sure the more expensive units, like Honda's are as quite if not more so.  You also can build a shelter for it with sound barriers to deaden them even more.  The thing is, if there are folks roaming around like marauders then you have other issues, as I'm sure they're not just looking for generators.  Be prepared to guard everything, from everyone, with extreme prejudice. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, hipower said:

My garage is the only available space for large bulk(y) storage. We have had a continuing battle with mice for years. The little suckers can get thru a pinhole I think.

Thought about 5 gallon food storage cans, but wonder if they'd chew thru them. Metal cans and add a sealing wax?

I'm pretty sure the tubs that online sellers like we see shipping in, would be questionable.

5135850?$456$

I've caught bunches of mice with these. 

I'm not talking about huge quantities, just the 1lb bags from the grocery store. They don't take up lots of space and one bag of bean soup is 10-12 bowls. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, hipower said:

10 or 20 gallon galvanized trash cans with lids will do the trick, or I could send you one of my rat snakes icon-smile-1.gif