I'm an idiot. Need help!

So I had a few weapon modifications to do today, and normally after a YouTube video or several I can figure it out. Well, not today. 

I was replacing my Bren2 handguard with the HBi handguard, when things took a turn. Have 2 screws stripped, and I can't extract these. I know these 2 holes are not needed for the new handguard, so I just need these 2 screws out so I can remove the Mlok piece they are holding. If someone is confident they can get these out for me, I have $100 bill with your name on it. Appreciate any help. 

20201011_133555.jpg

7 minutes ago, Omega said:

That’s what I was going to suggest since the screws appear to be recessed and cutting a slot for regular screwdriver won’t work. You can also get screw extractors from Home Depot/Lowe’s, etc. 

If they stripped they must really be in there.  Might be some kind of thread locker on them.

I have a cheap screw extractor set that did not help, one of the bits cracked when I was drilling into the screw. CZ does use threadlocker on all their screws on the Bren2. The others came out no problem, and I did try to heat these two (after they started stripping) 

10 minutes ago, The Legion said:

I have done the same thing and this kit got the job done.

I have two different brands, one broke real easy, the other has worked decently so far, but they are brittle and can't take too much torque.  But slow hammer drill works decently, at least for the applications I've tried so far.

I've dealt with a bunch of bad screws in my career, but Bubba you got a real mess there. Try this, get a small punch, go to the outside edge of the screw head and gently try to tap the head counter clockwise. Go easy and be very patient. If you can get it to start turning, you should be able to work it on out. Putting a bit of heat on it should also help. A hair drier should be enough. I'm guessing that there's some sort of loctite there and that's why they stripped in the first place. 

BTW: just general info. Never use anything but PURPLE loctite on guns. Its made specifically for small screws. Even the common blue is too much for these. 

• Like 1

Well my friend, I offer condolences. Not much I can do to help here, previous replies have it covered pretty well. 

That's what you get for not staying stock!! LOL! Sorry I just had to get that in.

I admire your ideas on changing things around, I'm just not talented enough to do much of it.

Good luck with all this.

• Like 1

I’ll also second that heat will likely be your friend in this case. Penetrating oil, heat, then get a quality screw extractor and it should come out. 

I’m just shocked that it stripped of it was a torx head. Must be soft metal and some hefty thread locker. 

You may also consider drilling it all the way through but that’s a job for a good drill press and a steady hand. Not sure of that model so that may not be an option. 

I appreciate all the comments. What a real pain it's been. Myself and a buddy spent 3 hours trying most, if not all, the suggestions here...to no avail. He eventually had to drill through both screws. Didnt damage the gun (the holes weren't needed for the new handguard anyways) 

Factory CZ blue loctite had those damn things really on there. I'm happy with the finished product! 

20201012_182623.jpg

• Like 4

I realize you have moved past the problem, but I just saw this and in reading the suggestions I did not see one that has proven useful for me in the past.  Get a proper sized "left handed drill bit", not a joke,  the drill bit cuts when turning counterclockwise as opposed to clockwise.  When drilling the screw the friction heats the screw and I have had the screw come out while drilling.  Just shared to add another option for future uh-ohs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tacops said:

I realize you have moved past the problem, but I just saw this and in reading the suggestions I did not see one that has proven useful for me in the past.  Get a proper sized "left handed drill bit", not a joke,  the drill bit cuts when turning counterclockwise as opposed to clockwise.  When drilling the screw the friction heats the screw and I have had the screw come out while drilling.  Just shared to add another option for future uh-ohs.

The “Screwout” set is left handed.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Cojo87 said:

Why can't I use covers?! 😂

I honestly didn't even know that LVPO's came with those style covers.   I've never seen a picture with those on it.   Not that there is anything wrong with it.  But if you aren't used to seeing it, and you don't immediately recognize those as covers, it looks like you have a regular scope mounted backwards. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, tacops said:

True.  I have had screws and bolts come out when pre-drilling a hole with a counter-clockwise bit preparing for extractor use.

Yep, that's the first thing I try when we get a part come in from one of the lines with a broke screw.

• Like 1