Heavy cast in .38spl

Ammo & component availability being what it is right now, i was wondering if anyone had heard of, or had a recipe for, 180gn WFNGC cast bullets in a .38spl.

I bought several hundred Cast Performance boolets for my .358 win & it turns out that it hates them. I was wondering if it was even possible to load them up for the pistol, rather than wasting or melting them down. 

I'm not looking for any silly +p+ loads, just an average, mid-range cartridge. 

Rob...

I load 173 grain semi wadcutters in 38 special cases for my 357 mag Ruger sheriff with 12.0 grains of 2400 regularly... It is my "carryin load " for this pistola... Its a variant of the old 38 special hi speed loads used before the 357 wuz introduced.  They work like a charm.  Avout 1100 fps out of the Ruger...

leroy...

• Thanks 1

What handgun are you planning on shooting them in Rob?

I've never loaded any 180's,  especially with a gas check, but I shoot a fair amount of 160's in my LCR and J/K frame Smiths.

I'd guess you should be able to work up some decent, yet comfortable loads with those bullets. 

My 686 would probably love them at about 1000 fps. 

Might just look into it if components ever become reasonably available again. 

15 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

What handgun are you planning on shooting them in Rob?

I've never loaded any 180's,  especially with a gas check, but I shoot a fair amount of 160's in my LCR and J/K frame Smiths.

I'd guess you should be able to work up some decent, yet comfortable loads with those bullets. 

My 686 would probably love them at about 1000 fps. 

Might just look into it if components ever become reasonably available again. 

It's for a Rock Island M206.

Online evidence tells me that they're fine with +P loads & is certainly beefy enough, but it's only roll stamped .38. I'd prefer not to give it a steady diet of really hot loads, although i'm sure a few cylinders every now & then won't hurt. 

2 hours ago, leroy said:

12.0 grains of 2400

I would be very careful here. 12.0 grs of 2400 with a 158gr bullet is a common load for the old S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty which is an N-frame (large frame) revolver and bordering on full house .357 loads.   Probably be ok in Leroy's Ruger, but is not recommended for medium frame DA revolvers. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

It's for a Rock Island M206.

Online evidence tells me that they're fine with +P loads & is certainly beefy enough, but it's only roll stamped .38. I'd prefer not to give it a steady diet of really hot loads, although i'm sure a few cylinders every now & then won't hurt. 

From what I've read the M206 is a good value and solid revolver. iirc it's a bit beefier than a D Frame Colt. How's the trigger in your opinion?

My current favorite load in .38 spl is a 160 gr PC round using 2.8 grs of American Select. I haven't chronoed this load, but it's very pleasant and accurate. I just don't feel the need to beat up my revolvers, nor myself for that matter. 😉

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jamie Jackson said:

From what I've read the M206 is a good value and solid revolver. iirc it's a bit beefier than a D Frame Colt. How's the trigger in your opinion?

My current favorite load in .38 spl is a 160 gr PC round using 2.8 grs of American Select. I haven't chronoed this load, but it's very pleasant and accurate. I just don't feel the need to beat up my revolvers, nor myself for that matter. 😉

Surprisingly, the trigger is excellent. As good as any Smith I've ever shot.  No binding or stiff spots, no hitches or hang ups in double action. Heavy, but not unusually so. Single action is superb. Virtually zero movement at break & the perfect eight for me, right at 6lb.

Best thing I did was to ditch the tiny wooden grips & replace them with a set of M200 plastic grips. Much bigger & far more controllable. 

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I like the looks of the RIA revolvers. Everything I hear about them is good. I like the Model 200 because of the 4" barrel. The 206 is unique because its a 6 shot. It seems there's been a law passed that all 2" .38 revolvers have to be 5 shot. Lol. 

If you have an M200 & ever feel like a straight trade for my 206, gimme a holler. I'd be real interested in that!