SplashTop or other remote access software?? [locked out by TeamViewer]

DaveTN

I used the free TeamViewer to help my elderly parents with their PC issues. Recently they moved into assisted living and are locked down due to Covid. While trying to resolve an issue with their PC, TeamViewer locked me out and said I was a suspected “commercial user”. After submitting a form to be “unblocked” I was refused. I emailed sales, and an agent called me. She explained that an assisted living facility is a commercial building and I was out of luck. So much for helping the elderly during this pandemic.

Anyway…. I need software to be able to access their PC. Splashtop at $100 a year looks like a good option. Anyone using it?

The next  issue will be getting something installed. They can’t do it, and the facility doesn’t allow access by the public.

Thanks for any recommendations.

4 minutes ago, Omega said:

No, that requires 10 PRO, which I have, but they do not. They are still on 7 Home. I discussed making that change with them…. but that involves CHANGE. When you are 90 and can’t remember anything; change is not good. I did a chat with SPLASHTOP and they said they support Win 7.

We use Fixme.it at work. It allows the user to read you a user code and connect. So you can connect to almost anyone that simply goes to the site and clicks the link. I think it is like $300 a year though. You might be able to use it to get the initial connection to install what you need since it looks like they have a free trial. 

I see one called RemotePC that is cheap, but have no idea if it is good. I used to use logmein.com, but their price went from $ to $$$$$$$$ several years ago overnight, and they took away the free personal option.  

I use Both Teamviwer and Splashtop.  I bought a license for TeamViewer 11 and will continue using it as long as it works.  I refused to pay the outrageous price of the annual subscription starting with version 13. 

I've already installed Splashtop on all PCs and there's only two things I really miss so far which is being able to open multiple machines in tabs (which should not effect you) and real time notifications when a PC comes online.   You have to click the refresh button in Splashtop Business to see if a PC has becomes available.  Splashtop otherwise functions fine.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, billmeek said:

I use Both Teamviwer and Splashtop.  I bought a license for TeamViewer 11 and will continue using it as long as it works.  I refused to pay the outrageous price of the annual subscription starting with version 13. 

I've already installed Splashtop on all PCs and there's only two things I really miss so far which is being able to open multiple machines in tabs (which should not effect you) and real time notifications when a PC comes online.   You have to click the refresh button in Splashtop Business to see if a PC has becomes available.  Splashtop otherwise functions fine.

Thanks Bill,

It appears to me that Splashtop uses two apps, Splashtop Business app for the control PC, and Steamer for the PC’s you want to control?? If I want to control my main PC from any other PC, I install both apps on all machines? I tried to get this out of them on a chat, but I’m not sure we were understanding each other.

So it looks like for $99 a year I can have it on 10 PC’s. That seems reasonable if it works. My parents have minimal PC skills and because of their age, its gotten worse. If I can’t get someone that works there to install it, I’m wondering if I could talk them through it. Is it difficult to install?

I think I'll download a trial, but just thought I'd ask you first. 

4 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

Were you using TeamViewer for free and they are making you pay for it or were you paying for it and they are making you buy commercial?

TeamViewer has been free for private use for years. Its how they get referrals for businesses. It’s cost prohibitive for personal use IMO. They shut me off because they said the Assisted Living facilities are deemed commercial buildings and I need to buy a license.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, GlockSpock said:

Were you using TeamViewer for free and they are making you pay for it or were you paying for it and they are making you buy commercial?

No.  I bought a commercial license, upgrading every 2 years, and TeamViewer went to a subscription model that would cost a bunch more.  The licensing model of Splashtop for the low number of machines I need to connect to is less expensive and I can allow customers to use it to connect to their own PCs.  I had this setup well before the Wuhan Flu and customers were all ready when they needed to remote into their business machines.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:27 AM, DaveTN said:

Thanks Bill,

It appears to me that Splashtop uses two apps, Splashtop Business app for the control PC, and Steamer for the PC’s you want to control?? If I want to control my main PC from any other PC, I install both apps on all machines? I tried to get this out of them on a chat, but I’m not sure we were understanding each other.

So it looks like for $99 a year I can have it on 10 PC’s. That seems reasonable if it works. My parents have minimal PC skills and because of their age, its gotten worse. If I can’t get someone that works there to install it, I’m wondering if I could talk them through it. Is it difficult to install?

I think I'll download a trial, but just thought I'd ask you first. 

Install the Streamer on any PC you want to control.  Install Splashtop Business only on any device you want to use to control other computers.  You can install both Streamer and Business on a PC (i.e your home computer) if you want.  The Splashtop Business device can be a Windows PC or tablet, Mac, Android tablet, iPad, Android phone or iPhone.  I have one customer that regularly connects to his office PC with his iPhone and does Quickbooks.  I personally wouldn't do that as i find it frustrating from a phone to control a device (having to zoom in and out often) and carry a Windows laptop or tablet instead, but it works for him.   

Installing Splashtop is not difficult for the end user.  You will need to create a deployment package first.  Then you can then just send them a URL to download and run.  When they open the link they'll have to check the box saying they trust the name listed there (likely your name) before the download button is available.  Once downloaded, they run the installer, Click "yes" on the Windows UAC prompt, click "confirm" to allow access, then you can remote in to make any other changes to Spashtop settings.

If you need to login when they are not at the PC, I highly recommend setting the PC power settings to never sleep. 

Just a FYI, I've gone all-in and have the Splashtop Remote Support Premium.   It's cut down on the time I need to be remoted into PCs. 

8 hours ago, billmeek said:

Install the Streamer on any PC you want to control.  Install Splashtop Business only on any device you want to use to control other computers.  You can install both Streamer and Business on a PC (i.e your home computer) if you want.  The Splashtop Business device can be a Windows PC or tablet, Mac, Android tablet, iPad, Android phone or iPhone.  I have one customer that regularly connects to his office PC with his iPhone and does Quickbooks.  I personally wouldn't do that as i find it frustrating from a phone to control a device (having to zoom in and out often) and carry a Windows laptop or tablet instead, but it works for him.   

Installing Splashtop is not difficult for the end user.  You will need to create a deployment package first.  Then you can then just send them a URL to download and run.  When they open the link they'll have to check the box saying they trust the name listed there (likely your name) before the download button is available.  Once downloaded, they run the installer, Click "yes" on the Windows UAC prompt, click "confirm" to allow access, then you can remote in to make any other changes to Spashtop settings.

If you need to login when they are not at the PC, I highly recommend setting the PC power settings to never sleep. 

Just a FYI, I've gone all-in and have the Splashtop Remote Support Premium.   It's cut down on the time I need to be remoted into PCs. 

Thanks, I’ve downloaded the 7 day trial and its looks pretty good, haven’t had any issues on PC’s on my network. Thanks for the heads up on the deployment URL that looks like it might make things easier.